day night tests ? do you agree.

Day/Night Tests - A good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
day night tests ? do you agree.

i think its a good idea, but im not sure about the balls and such and "dew" would create a problem, it would certainly attract bigger crowds and a lot more TV viewers.

Lord's set to host floodlit Test: report
AAP - March 29, 2009, 10:28 pm

Lord's, the home of cricketing tradition, is poised to host a day-night Test match with players wearing coloured, one-day style outfits.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is pressing forward with plans to dispense with the usual all-white Test attire for a floodlit match against Bangladesh next year, Britain's The Sunday Telegraph reported.

The newspaper understood the subject had been discussed in depth at two recent committee meetings.

ECB head of cricket operations Alan Fordham said: "It was a subject that came up following the Test match strategy day in January."

The plan, which has upset traditionalists, has come about because the red balls usually used for Test matches cannot be seen against a night sky, while trials with pink and orange balls have proved unsuccessful.

If a white ball is used, the cricketers' clothing must be another colour so it can be seen easily.

Retired umpire Dickie Bird opposed the plan.

"I am one of the old school and I am all for the game being played in white. It is best to play at Test match in white and during the day," Bird told the paper.

Another hurdle is that white balls can become discoloured quickly, so the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) is trying to find a white ball that lasts longer.

The use of coloured clothing and white balls in a Test match would need to be sanctioned by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

ICC general manager Dave Richardson said: "The ECB have not approached us yet for any such approval.

"But the ICC is supporting the research by the MCC which includes whether a white ball can be developed that can last longer and be suitable for longer versions of the game.

"This matter will definitely be on the agenda of the ICC cricket committee meeting in May. Overall, the ICC remains committed to the promotion of Test cricket, and if this means playing some Tests under lights, we should certainly consider it."

The match, the first of two Tests against Bangladesh, will be played in late May next year and it is hoped the new format will boost attendances.

Re: day night tests ? do you agree.

Don't like it.

I'm "old school" as far as test cricket goes and prefer it stays the way it has for many years now.

i think its a good thing that they"re looking to move forward with the game, but this seems to be happening a little quickly for mine.

postmanpav I am with you on that.. Test Cricket aint broke so dont change it.. This could further separate venues as you would need lights at grounds to play this.. Also they obviously would need another colour ball for this right??

In an ideal then we'd leave things as they are. Sadly, we don't live in that sort of world, so things have to evolve and new ideas tried out.

Day-night test cricket could open the game up to a bigger audience, not least whilst the novelty factor is there. It would also give people who work during the traditional test day a chance to get alone to a game and watch 3/4 hours of cricket.

I do think England is the wrong choice for a trial though, not least in that it gets cold very quick and you do get dew on the grass.

Unsure at this stage but it looks bound to happen and sooner rather than later.
The red cherry ball that we have seen for well over 100 years will not work in the darkness though.
Yellow balls were experimented with some 15 years ago down here when we had D/N Shield matches, allegedly with little success.
It's an idea worth considering though if we want to prolong and ensure a good future for test cricket, with dwindling crowds partly due to the Twenty20 revolution.

If they can produce a ball that works than it is probably at least worth a look.

I need an advice

Hello!
I'm new here. I've been browsing tons of forums for an idea of what to do. I was laid off from my job about 3 month ago. I've been looking for a job since then, but did not even get a single interview. I worked as a web designer for a publishing company for the last 5 years. Looks like www.bigcricket.com is an active forum with active members and may be someone has some experience working as a freelance web designer. May be "http://www.bigcricket.com/" category is not the most appropriate for this question, but I want to try anyways to get some opinions before I go ahead with my life. I'm wondering if it is possible in the current economy to find work for a freelance web designer and make enough to pay for rent and groceries. I was able to find a small project on craigslist and I developed a website for a company. It was a small project and took me only a week to complete. I got paid $800 for 1 week of work which is not bad. Please people give me some ideas. I have 2 kids and my wife is out of work as well. Thank you in advance.

Re: I need an advice

Cemadmibsib;343335 said:
Hello!
I'm new here. I've been browsing tons of forums for an idea of what to do. I was laid off from my job about 3 month ago. I've been looking for a job since then, but did not even get a single interview. I worked as a web designer for a publishing company for the last 5 years. Looks like www.bigcricket.com is an active forum with active members and may be someone has some experience working as a freelance web designer. May be "http://www.bigcricket.com/" category is not the most appropriate for this question, but I want to try anyways to get some opinions before I go ahead with my life. I'm wondering if it is possible in the current economy to find work for a freelance web designer and make enough to pay for rent and groceries. I was able to find a small project on craigslist and I developed a website for a company. It was a small project and took me only a week to complete. I got paid $800 for 1 week of work which is not bad. Please people give me some ideas. I have 2 kids and my wife is out of work as well. Thank you in advance.

off topic just a tad dont you think ? maybe spam somewhere else.:mad:

Best software for black-SEO and advertising

This unique software pack can EVERYTHING.

+ mass post threads and messages on forums, blogs, guestbooks, boards, bulletins
+ mass send PM (personal messages) to ALL users on thouthands forums simultaneously (multi-threading)
+ automatically register e-mail accounts on GMAIL.Com and other email services
+ automatically break CAPTCHAs - you see, this forum has captcha on registering, but it's was breaked ;)
+ automatically break text captchas as "2+2=?", "what color is sky?" etc.
+ have a lot of tools for links databases processing and analysing
+ automatically confirm all links from e-mail account
+ built-in "question-answer" system, mass post-editing system
+ a lot of other features

Name of this program - XRumer 5.0 Palladium
Not XRunner, not XRoomer, not xrumer - but XRumer.

(versions XRumer 2.9 and XRumer 3.0 are too old)

Just ask Google! ;)

definately not. i dont like it and never will. lots of little reasons. and i thought thats what sick days were, days you have off to watch the deciding day of test cricket!

I don't mind it so much provided:
- the ball ages correctly
- it is limited to grounds without dew problems
- the lights are absolutely top class, better than any I have seen as yet (though, to be fair, I've only been to night cricket at the MCG and footy at the SCG, so there might be suitable lights installed at some grounds)
- every nation which hosts a night test has several seasons with first class games under lights to iron out the kinks and determine each ground's suitability

In other words, find a ball, do the groiundwork, find no issues, and I'm all for it. But I don't support rushing into it; not for Test crciket. Do whatever with the bastardised games(50 or 20 overs), but changes to the proper form have to be thoroughly tested first.

My issue with this is the ball. The white ball and red ball are fairly different. What would be done about this?

not play tests at night. tests are a day game. tests have red balls. always have and always should IMO

Back