Dumping Cosgrove Redbacks worst move?

joshie91

Ok, right up, I'll admit, I'm a big fan of Cossie and as a South Australian I found it a very bitter pill to swallow to see him move to Tasmania. It is true he did fall out of favour with Redback selectors, but I believe he still had a lot to prove and still had time in the SA team. And was I correct? I believe so - 159 for Tasmania against Victoria definately shows he still had plenty of petrol left in the tank. I believe however that a move to Queensland or New South Wales would have benefited his game, since Bellrieve Oval's pitch is a road, more or less the same as Adelaide Oval. If he can get fitter through out the season, at 26 years old, I reckon he could break into the Australian team once again.

Hard to say at this point. 157 on debut for Tasmania would suggest yes but it's only one innings. I'd wait at least half a season before forming any sort of opinion on this.

Hard to say at this point. 157 on debut for Tasmania would suggest yes but it's only one innings. I'd wait at least half a season before forming any sort of opinion on this.
I won't take this back regardless of his game at the mid-way point, but his potential was quite great for SA. I firmly believe SA will be worse off, regardless of Cossie's Tasmanian performances

Is he still about 30kg overweight?
He looks in better shape now then he did two seasons ago, but could still loose some poundage. but to be fair, you dont need to be uber-fit in order to be a quality batsman. Did someone just yell Darren Lehmann?

Ok Lehmann was a bit portly but last time I saw Cosgrove he was just plain fat. What those it say about the bloke if he isn't disciplined enough to shed a few pounds when you have the talent/potential to play the game at the highest level?

Ok Lehmann was a bit portly but last time I saw Cosgrove he was just plain fat. What those it say about the bloke if he isn't disciplined enough to shed a few pounds when you have the talent/potential to play the game at the highest level?

This is exactly right. South Australia gave him every chance to get his body into better condition. From what I've heard there was more to it than just his weight, a few other diciplinary issues were involved too.

Talent only gets you so far, getting cut from South Australia may have been the kick in the ar$e he needed.

Interesting comments from all. Had the pleasure to meet and watch Cosgrove in the 19,s in Tasmania. Enjoyed his larrikin company and watching his ability. Along with Cameron White thought they were the two outstanding players(+Paine Geeves Doherty Cowan O'brien Christian etc).

I think he is an unfortunate example of one day itis. In my opinion had there been only long cricket this overweight kid could have been anything. He was and I suspect still is a frustrated genius.

As our system continues to produce many very good players I am concerned that those with the greatest talents and failings (Doug Walters) are being pushed aside because they dont fit the stereotype. Having said that I accept and endorse the totally professional approach of our cricket programme.

I guess in the "eccentric" Marks case it is a very difficult line but somewhere along the way I feel it is these exceptions that are not appearing at the elite level.

I think the problem is fitting the square peg into the round hole but I am certain if this larrikin can find his niche he could be anything even if he must field at first slip!!!

Regardless I doubt anyone enjoys his cricket more than Mark.

Back