DVCA: Barclay Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Barclay Shield

Otis;291269 said:
A couple of blokes have tipped Lower Eltham to get beaten over the last couple of weeks, on the basis that they're "due" to lose one...

They're playing good cricket at the moment, grinding out wins. Bundoora may have a strong bowling attack but you've got to look at who they're bowling against...Skipper Luke Poyser, perhaps the most technically gifted bat in the comp, is coming off a ton, Whitcher can dismantle any bowling attack in the competition and does so regularly and Curtis is an underrated but classy batsman who could bat at 4 or 5 for any team in the comp and hold his own. Then there's Callum Still, Justin "Keg" Poyser, Michael McCutcheon, Josh Sedgwick, all of whom can genuiniely bat.

They've got the in-form pace bowler of the comp in Chris Salvatore, ably supported by the evergreen and crafty Curtis, honest trundler Luke Burgoyne and the fiery Shane McCutcheon. Add to this mix the accurate tweakers of Callum Still (4/50 on the weekend including the wicket of Arnberger) and you have an even spread of batting and bowling depth. Tip against LECC at your peril.

we may as well not turn up, don't want to spoil xmas:D

Not sure wether in your excitement you had a brain freeze but seems to me you've left out last years comp batting avg winner!!

Lots of free time on your hands Aloi?

It may have been a little comeback Quinny (make a comeback already, can't have Aloi setting the standard!), but thats the great thing about having 283 on the board, even at 0/91 they still were 193 from victory. Which is never an easy task, Callum did an exceptional job in the wet.

As for 'due for a loss', I believe that is total bullshit and disrespect to Bundoora who have a very talented line up and will push very hard for the four. If we lose, it will be due to being outplayed and not because we have won too much already.

Especially after Brad messaged me in a cash for tips like scandal attempt!:p

Tongs;291302 said:
Surely there will be one change to the almighty Lower Eltham team? They had a massive comeback on the weekend, one similar to the great Michael Jordan!

Chris Aloi, steps up without holding a bat in a while and smashes 60! Surely he will slot in nicely at 6?

I might slot in nicely at 6 for H grade, which is what I played in on the weekend. Anyhow, lets keep this thread for Barclay Shield talk - you can bag me all you want in the C Grade and Below Thread...:D:D:D

Sticky Wicket;291371 said:
Did Lower Finish out of the 4 last year?

What's peoples' thoughts on their improvement from now to last year? Who did they pick up besides Gunn?

As an outsider surely the reigning Premiers didn't lose players so they'd still think they would be favourites considering they also picked up a player?
Lower got a new coach and they only picked up Gunn. So what does that tell you about where they have improved, quiet simple really their old coach obviously was not good enough to get the best out of his team. He's now playing elsewhere and his team is sitting equal on the bottom, so I don't think I would want him in my team.

Bundoora;291372 said:
we may as well not turn up, don't want to spoil xmas:D

Not sure wether in your excitement you had a brain freeze but seems to me you've left out last years comp batting avg winner!!

Well spotted - was waiting to see who the first to notice that omission was...:D was hoping he'd sneak under the Bulls' guard!

Good luck on the weekend mate....and don't forget about Conlan "The Machine" Gunn :p:p

THE ICEMAN;291561 said:
Lower got a new coach and they only picked up Gunn. So what does that tell you about where they have improved, quiet simple really their old coach obviously was not good enough to get the best out of his team. He's now playing elsewhere and his team is sitting equal on the bottom, so I don't think I would want him in my team.

Fairly harsh on the bloke. He may not be a great captain (and we all would know brilliant players that aren't captain material) yet to blame riversides poor performances on him is simply not fair!

Thumbs up;291309 said:
Its typical Aloi, not play for a while, return with success and then live off that score for a couple of seasons.

Please feel free to bag me in the C Grade and Below Thread...

It certainly is rough DQ, one of the most intelligent things you have ever said. One swallow doesnt make a summer and such, lots of issues affected LE's performance last year. Similarly there are quite a few that have improved it, to blame it all on Simon is unbalanced.

Tongs;291563 said:
Fairly harsh on the bloke. He may not be a great captain (and we all would know brilliant players that aren't captain material) yet to blame riversides poor performances on him is simply not fair!

Lots of free time on your hands Aloi?

It may have been a little comeback Quinny (make a comeback already, can't have Aloi setting the standard!), but thats the great thing about having 283 on the board, even at 0/91 they still were 193 from victory. Which is never an easy task, Callum did an exceptional job in the wet.

As for 'due for a loss', I believe that is total bullshit and disrespect to Bundoora who have a very talented line up and will push very hard for the four. If we lose, it will be due to being outplayed and not because we have won too much already.

Especially after Brad messaged me in a cash for tips like scandal attempt!:p

Opener2;291581 said:
It certainly is rough DQ, one of the most intelligent things you have ever said. One swallow doesnt make a summer and such, lots of issues affected LE's performance last year. Similarly there are quite a few that have improved it, to blame it all on Simon is unbalanced.
You have to addmit that it is the most logical explaination. You say that their are a quiet a few that have improved it down at lower. Now if he was a good captain/coach than he should have been able to get more out of his players. If these players that that have helped improved it were at the club last year that is the only explaination. Not much has changed down their player wise so why the big improvement, if he wasn't the reason.

Sticky Wicket;291371 said:
Did Lower Finish out of the 4 last year?

What's peoples' thoughts on their improvement from now to last year? Who did they pick up besides Gunn?

As an outsider surely the reigning Premiers didn't lose players so they'd still think they would be favourites considering they also picked up a player?

There is no point bagging coaches/captains, when it comes down to it, they dont hit the ball for you. To completely put it onto him is unfair and an easy way out for the guys who underperformed of which I am one.

THE ICEMAN;291628 said:
You have to addmit that it is the most logical explaination. You say that their are a quiet a few that have improved it down at lower. Now if he was a good captain/coach than he should have been able to get more out of his players. If these players that that have helped improved it were at the club last year that is the only explaination. Not much has changed down their player wise so why the big improvement, if he wasn't the reason.

THE ICEMAN;291561 said:

Opener2;291633 said:
There is no point bagging coaches/captains, when it comes down to it, they dont hit the ball for you. To completely put it onto him is unfair and an easy way out for the guys who underperformed of which I am one.
There is more to it than that, a club dosn't go from 2nd last to being undefeted, so far with the same blokes without changes at the top. There are obviously blokes down there with potential that he obviously couldn't get the most out of. Hence my reasons for him not being up to it.

Tongs;291563 said:

THE ICEMAN;291638 said:
There is more to it than that, a club dosn't go from 2nd last to being undefeted, so far with the same blokes without changes at the top. There are obviously blokes down there with potential that he obviously couldn't get the most out of. Hence my reasons for him not being up to it.
If you go through the last 3 seasons you would realise the amount of close games we have had and in two of the seasons we have been fortunate enough to grind wins out, in one not so. I certainly wont be hanging my extremely poor last season on the ex-coach, I have more pride in my personal performance, as should the other boys!

PM me who you are!:p

Opener2;291581 said:

Opener2;291643 said:
If you go through the last 3 seasons you would realise the amount of close games we have had and in two of the seasons we have been fortunate enough to grind wins out, in one not so. I certainly wont be hanging my extremely poor last season on the ex-coach, I have more pride in my personal performance, as should the other boys!

Couldn't agree more with the sentiment of your last few posts. To put it all on Simon is seriously unfair. Outside the first eleven playing group there seems a different attutide at the club, with several players putting in much more work and showing greater discipline. This, I believe, was not lacking due to Simon, who brought a great deal of professionalism and dedication to the club.

I would be careful with blanket judgements about a person or club using Icemans specious reasoning. You know the idea of he's not there and things are going well therefore it's his fault... that's not logic it is weak reasoning.

THE ICEMAN;291628 said:

Everyone/team has a bad year now and then, remember Lower Eltham actually made the GF the year before last season and whilst beaten, at one stage had Plenty in a bit of trouble and if I recall probably one or two wickets from changing the game.

Iceman whilst it does look simple to come to the conclusions you have come to I believe that Poyz and a few others have corrected you

Opener2;291633 said:

THE ICEMAN;291561 said:

That says more about you than it does about Simon.

You would not find a club in the DVCA that wouldn't have Simon in their team if the opportunity arose.

Blaming the coach is for softcocks who want an excuse for their own shortcomings.

THE ICEMAN;291638 said:

I personally think they are travelling a lot better now that they aren't suffering from dehydration by wearing the black slacks on a 35 degree day..

Opener2;291643 said:

Couldn't agree more with the sentiment of your last few posts. To put it all on Simon is seriously unfair. Outside the first eleven playing group there seems a different attutide at the club, with several players putting in much more work and showing greater discipline. This, I believe, was not lacking due to Simon, who brought a great deal of professionalism and dedication to the club.

I would be careful with blanket judgements about a person or club using Icemans specious reasoning. You know the idea of he's not there and things are going well therefore it's his fault... that's not logic it is weak reasoning.

another_ton;291732 said:
I personally think they are travelling a lot better now that they aren't suffering from dehydration by wearing the black slacks on a 35 degree day..

like it:D

very funny & it had nothing to do with Bundoora, well done.

As for you poyser, that's slanderous what you said about offering $$$ but if i was too, how much would it take??;)

Everyone/team has a bad year now and then, remember Lower Eltham actually made the GF the year before last season and whilst beaten, at one stage had Plenty in a bit of trouble and if I recall probably one or two wickets from changing the game.

Iceman whilst it does look simple to come to the conclusions you have come to I believe that Poyz and a few others have corrected you

Bundoora;291735 said:

As for you poyser, that's slanderous what you said about offering $$$ but if i was too, how much would it take??;)

Wouldn't be laughing too much Brad, would think you would need to ton up if your team is any chance this week.

THE ICEMAN;291561 said:

That says more about you than it does about Simon.

You would not find a club in the DVCA that wouldn't have Simon in their team if the opportunity arose.

Blaming the coach is for softcocks who want an excuse for their own shortcomings.

ICEMAN, why don't you go about it all (what you are saying about Lower Eltham) in a different way? It's called Positive.

Rather than say that the Pig is a poor coach, and that he did nothing last year etc. Why not praise the bloke at the top of the tree now? LP has done a brilliant job this year, both with the team and his own results and as much as I hate to see Lower Eltham win, I hope they go on and win the flag! I would rather that than some other teams!

another_ton;291745 said:
Wouldn't be laughing too much Brad, would think you would need to ton up if your team is any chance this week.

won 10 out of our last 14 without me making one, so i don't think that's an issue although it would be nice after falling 5 short against them last year:(

another_ton;291732 said:

Tongs;291746 said:
ICEMAN, why don't you go about it all (what you are saying about Lower Eltham) in a different way? It's called Positive.

Rather than say that the Pig is a poor coach, and that he did nothing last year etc. Why not praise the bloke at the top of the tree now? LP has done a brilliant job this year, both with the team and his own results and as much as I hate to see Lower Eltham win, I hope they go on and win the flag! I would rather that than some other teams!

and which teams would they be?

Bundoora;291735 said:

the swedish chef;291767 said:
and which teams would they be?

There a teams/clubs that I don't want to see in the GF, we all do. But there is one in particular that I don't want to see. Won't mention names, but they did something so unethical in last years GF, don't want to see them anywhere near there last year!

Bundoora;291757 said:
won 10 out of our last 14 without me making one, so i don't think that's an issue although it would be nice after falling 5 short against them last year:(

10 out of 14, sounds a bit like the black vs white ratio!

another_ton;291745 said:

Tongs;291769 said:
There a teams/clubs that I don't want to see in the GF, we all do. But there is one in particular that I don't want to see. Won't mention names, but they did something so unethical in last years GF, don't want to see them anywhere near there last year!

Tongs - BigCricket's moral compass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back