DVCA: Barclay Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Barclay Shield

Tongs;291746 said:
ICEMAN, why don't you go about it all (what you are saying about Lower Eltham) in a different way? It's called Positive.

Rather than say that the Pig is a poor coach, and that he did nothing last year etc. Why not praise the bloke at the top of the tree now? LP has done a brilliant job this year, both with the team and his own results and as much as I hate to see Lower Eltham win, I hope they go on and win the flag! I would rather that than some other teams!

and which teams would they be?

Iceman just bringing up the same tired old issues again. I think we understand you are not a big fan of the Pig...any danger of moving on?

Lower have moved on in the best possible fashion and all the best to them and we are very happy to have Simon down at the club....he is doing a great job with training and coaching and is enjoying being apart of our club. Few more wins would be nice and hopefully the team will click starting off this weekend against Mernda.

the swedish chef;291767 said:
and which teams would they be?

There a teams/clubs that I don't want to see in the GF, we all do. But there is one in particular that I don't want to see. Won't mention names, but they did something so unethical in last years GF, don't want to see them anywhere near there last year!

Bundoora;291757 said:
won 10 out of our last 14 without me making one, so i don't think that's an issue although it would be nice after falling 5 short against them last year:(

10 out of 14, sounds a bit like the black vs white ratio!

Tongs;291769 said:
There a teams/clubs that I don't want to see in the GF, we all do. But there is one in particular that I don't want to see. Won't mention names, but they did something so unethical in last years GF, don't want to see them anywhere near there last year!

Not trying to be a smart arse ( for a change ) but i didn't see a ball bowled of last years GF, we had two of our lower grades playing.

what & who/whom are you referring to??

Tongs;291769 said:

Tongs - BigCricket's moral compass

The dedication outside the first XI playing group is definately not worse than any other club I have been at, I am constantly amazed at the numbers and work ethic at our club compared to others I have been at.

Pig had his issues as a coach, and did a few things quite badly, as well as a few things that could've been embraced more. Simple fact is he has gone and that is that. No point bagging him, gains nothing and looks ungracious. Though he does look sharp in slacks!:p

P.S Quinny, what happened in last years granny?

Thumbs up;291691 said:
Couldn't agree more with the sentiment of your last few posts. To put it all on Simon is seriously unfair. Outside the first eleven playing group there seems a different attutide at the club, with several players putting in much more work and showing greater discipline. This, I believe, was not lacking due to Simon, who brought a great deal of professionalism and dedication to the club.

I would be careful with blanket judgements about a person or club using Icemans specious reasoning. You know the idea of he's not there and things are going well therefore it's his fault... that's not logic it is weak reasoning.

Iceman just bringing up the same tired old issues again. I think we understand you are not a big fan of the Pig...any danger of moving on?

Lower have moved on in the best possible fashion and all the best to them and we are very happy to have Simon down at the club....he is doing a great job with training and coaching and is enjoying being apart of our club. Few more wins would be nice and hopefully the team will click starting off this weekend against Mernda.

Bundoora;291918 said:
Not trying to be a smart arse ( for a change ) but i didn't see a ball bowled of last years GF, we had two of our lower grades playing.

Opener2;291975 said:

This wasn't aimed at one person, or a player. It was the whole club. One club decided that even though Eltham had put in a lot of effort to get the rooms/ground/nets etc up to such a brilliant level, they were going to disregard their (our) efforts. (and I'm sure if you take all facilities into account Eltham's are the best in the valley).

This club, had their own tent on the other side of the ground and brought along all their own alcohol and food for their players and spectators, without speaking to Eltham. They disregarded the fact that as a club, the highest honour is to have the BS GF, and it can bring many rewards financially, yet this club is all about themselves, and as far as everyone should be concerned, never buy a beer at this club. Bring your own if you have to play there!

Very poor form!

Sticky Wicket;291371 said:
Did Lower Finish out of the 4 last year?

What's peoples' thoughts on their improvement from now to last year? Who did they pick up besides Gunn?

As an outsider surely the reigning Premiers didn't lose players so they'd still think they would be favourites considering they also picked up a player?

Yes they did finish out of the four, but the majority of the squad did play in the grand final 2 years ago against a champion Plenty side. Write off last year, nothing went right, squad wasn't playing for each other. They have stepped up this year through pure hard work. In past years, when times were going tough in the game, they would fold over. This squad is well coached and drilled, playing with a high amount of confidence and are little more mature, and most of all enjoying there cricket.

The last five matches will tell where this team is really at, but rest assured, they will give this flag a real shake.

Tongs;291769 said:

Most people have clubs that they dislike for whatever reasons. Some may even dislike my club. But the bottom line is we are all struggling to make money at the moment to survive the drop off in players, and sponsorship. So to do something like that to a club is disgraceful!

So I simply hope that they don't make it this year! Good luck to the lower boys!

The dedication outside the first XI playing group is definately not worse than any other club I have been at, I am constantly amazed at the numbers and work ethic at our club compared to others I have been at.

Pig had his issues as a coach, and did a few things quite badly, as well as a few things that could've been embraced more. Simple fact is he has gone and that is that. No point bagging him, gains nothing and looks ungracious. Though he does look sharp in slacks!:p

Thumbs up;291691 said:
Couldn't agree more with the sentiment of your last few posts. To put it all on Simon is seriously unfair. Outside the first eleven playing group there seems a different attutide at the club, with several players putting in much more work and showing greater discipline. This, I believe, was not lacking due to Simon, who brought a great deal of professionalism and dedication to the club.

I would be careful with blanket judgements about a person or club using Icemans specious reasoning. You know the idea of he's not there and things are going well therefore it's his fault... that's not logic it is weak reasoning.

Tongs;292008 said:
This wasn't aimed at one person, or a player. It was the whole club. One club decided that even though Eltham had put in a lot of effort to get the rooms/ground/nets etc up to such a brilliant level, they were going to disregard their (our) efforts. (and I'm sure if you take all facilities into account Eltham's are the best in the valley).

This club, had their own tent on the other side of the ground and brought along all their own alcohol and food for their players and spectators, without speaking to Eltham. They disregarded the fact that as a club, the highest honour is to have the BS GF, and it can bring many rewards financially, yet this club is all about themselves, and as far as everyone should be concerned, never buy a beer at this club. Bring your own if you have to play there!

Very poor form!

It's a bit hard not to have a beer at this club when not everyone knows which club it is.

Bundoora;291918 said:

Opener2;291975 said:

Very poor form!

The430king;292013 said:
It's a bit hard not to have a beer at this club when not everyone knows which club it is.

For those that were there would know it. And Jim a massive bloke on the door with a machine gun wouldn't stop you!

Sticky Wicket;291371 said:
Did Lower Finish out of the 4 last year?

What's peoples' thoughts on their improvement from now to last year? Who did they pick up besides Gunn?

As an outsider surely the reigning Premiers didn't lose players so they'd still think they would be favourites considering they also picked up a player?

Yes they did finish out of the four, but the majority of the squad did play in the grand final 2 years ago against a champion Plenty side. Write off last year, nothing went right, squad wasn't playing for each other. They have stepped up this year through pure hard work. In past years, when times were going tough in the game, they would fold over. This squad is well coached and drilled, playing with a high amount of confidence and are little more mature, and most of all enjoying there cricket.

The last five matches will tell where this team is really at, but rest assured, they will give this flag a real shake.

Most people have clubs that they dislike for whatever reasons. Some may even dislike my club. But the bottom line is we are all struggling to make money at the moment to survive the drop off in players, and sponsorship. So to do something like that to a club is disgraceful!

So I simply hope that they don't make it this year! Good luck to the lower boys!

I agree Dave bringing your own refreshments to opposition grounds is a blight on our great comp. I have experianced it first hand when we hosted a comp game years back and one club (will remain nameless) actually SOLD (had a till) beer. Amazing

I believe its time for clubs to assist and stop this from happening, I can name a situation where we went to LP for a sunday to watch day 2 of a BS game. A couple of blokes rocked up with an esky and they where told to remove it and support the hosting club as we would not like it to happen to us. They agreed and nothing more was said. Thats all it takes and I would love to see it spread through out the Comp. As you mention Tongs we all need money.

Tongs;292008 said:

Very poor form!

The430king;292013 said:

For those that were there would know it. And Jim a massive bloke on the door with a machine gun wouldn't stop you!

CowCorner;292064 said:
I agree Dave bringing your own refreshments to opposition grounds is a blight on our great comp. I have experianced it first hand when we hosted a comp game years back and one club (will remain nameless) actually SOLD (had a till) beer. Amazing

I believe its time for clubs to assist and stop this from happening, I can name a situation where we went to LP for a sunday to watch day 2 of a BS game. A couple of blokes rocked up with an esky and they where told to remove it and support the hosting club as we would not like it to happen to us. They agreed and nothing more was said. Thats all it takes and I would love to see it spread through out the Comp. As you mention Tongs we all need money.

These are the sorts of problems clubs of the dvca need to get over. Think about this, as a collective are there not opportunities to reduce costs by acting as a bargaining and buying group in unison. I realise this is something that today seems a long way off but surely we can put personal agendas aside and work to make a strong and dynamic competition rather than one full of niggling and miscontent.

No club prospers by the losses of another, outside games.

As a lower player (loose use of the term) I can only wish Pigga well. Can't wait to go watch the Riverside Vs LECC clash, might not be the top two going at it but I'll bet it will be a belter.

Should be a great game indeed Fidel!
Regardless of the niggling, a lot of effort goes into putting such big events on, rewards should well and trully go to these clubs.

Thumbs up;292189 said:
These are the sorts of problems clubs of the dvca need to get over. Think about this, as a collective are there not opportunities to reduce costs by acting as a bargaining and buying group in unison. I realise this is something that today seems a long way off but surely we can put personal agendas aside and work to make a strong and dynamic competition rather than one full of niggling and miscontent.

As a lower player (loose use of the term) I can only wish Pigga well. Can't wait to go watch the Riverside Vs LECC clash, might not be the top two going at it but I'll bet it will be a belter.

Thumbs up;292189 said:

I like your train of thought, TU. That's exactly the kind of thinking outside the square that can refresh and re-invigorate the comp. But it needn't stop there - there are many aspects of the competition, both on and off field that could be improved and re-worked to improve the DVCA as a whole.

There are lots of young, bright types on this forum as well as at all the clubs around the Valley. What's exciting is that it's these people and their ideas which will take the DVCA forward.

As for all this talk about Pigger - talk about flogging a dead horse, Iceman, get over it - as I've said before, his only crime was taking his role almost too seriously..He is a good bloke IMO...he would be well suited in a coaching role a higher level maybe at some stage in the future. I wish him all the best at Riverside.

CowCorner;292064 said:

Otis;292338 said:
I like your train of thought, TU. That's exactly the kind of thinking outside the square that can refresh and re-invigorate the comp. But it needn't stop there - there are many aspects of the competition, both on and off field that could be improved and re-worked to improve the DVCA as a whole.

There are lots of young, bright types on this forum as well as at all the clubs around the Valley. What's exciting is that it's these people and their ideas which will take the DVCA forward.
As for all this talk about Pigger - talk about flogging a dead horse, Iceman, get over it - as I've said before, his only crime was taking his role almost too seriously..He is a good bloke IMO...he would be well suited in a coaching role a higher level maybe at some stage in the future. I wish him all the best at Riverside.

Interesting,

i was at the delegates meeting on wed nite where they mentioned that there will be an increse in fees next season.

i was thinking that all the clubs in conjunction with the d.v.c.a. hold a "sportsmans" type day/night with all profits going back to the clubs.

With 26 or so clubs i'd be very suprised if you couldn't get 400+ to a function if you knew the funds raised would directly help your club.

obviosly the more tickets your club sells, the better slice of the profits you'd receive.

logistically it would not be easy but i'm sure within the thousands of people involved in the comp there must be some with the nous capable of pulling off such an event.

meal, beer, wine & soft drink, i'm sure you could get for $50 a head with numbers so big. charge $70 - get 400 make $8,000

throw in guest speakers, comedian - cost $2,500

auction items - obviously everything above reserve is pofit - hopefully make $3000 - can't lose cos if they don;t make reserve, they don't sell

raflle - 400 people all spend a minimum $5 - chance to make $2,000 - if get prizes donated.

looks simple on paper, and there would need to be a hell of a lot of hard work but if your club couldn't get 15-20 blokes to attend such an event i'd be suprised.

and yes, i have got too much time on my hands:D

Should be a great game indeed Fidel!
Regardless of the niggling, a lot of effort goes into putting such big events on, rewards should well and trully go to these clubs.

Thumbs up;292189 said:

Bundoora;292362 said:
Interesting,

i was at the delegates meeting on wed nite where they mentioned that there will be an increse in fees next season.

i was thinking that all the clubs in conjunction with the d.v.c.a. hold a "sportsmans" type day/night with all profits going back to the clubs.

With 26 or so clubs i'd be very suprised if you couldn't get 400+ to a function if you knew the funds raised would directly help your club.

obviosly the more tickets your club sells, the better slice of the profits you'd receive.

logistically it would not be easy but i'm sure within the thousands of people involved in the comp there must be some with the nous capable of pulling off such an event.

meal, beer, wine & soft drink, i'm sure you could get for $50 a head with numbers so big. charge $70 - get 400 make $8,000

throw in guest speakers, comedian - cost $2,500

auction items - obviously everything above reserve is pofit - hopefully make $3000 - can't lose cos if they don;t make reserve, they don't sell

raflle - 400 people all spend a minimum $5 - chance to make $2,000 - if get prizes donated.

looks simple on paper, and there would need to be a hell of a lot of hard work but if your club couldn't get 15-20 blokes to attend such an event i'd be suprised.

and yes, i have got too much time on my hands:D

And we have our volunteer! Thanks Brad, will be looking forward to your email to all clubs telling us when you have organised the night!

Seriously though, sounds like a good idea but would appear to be very hard to organise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back