DVCA: Barclay Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Barclay Shield

Bubble Wrap;329278 said:
Has anyone from Eltham or LP actually done the maths on this Saturday's game?

My understanding is that LP can avoid relegation if they win BIG. Does this mean winning by 8 wickets, 7, etc?

Probably a bit farfetched, but with Eltham's bowling attack being just honest, and if Zerafa has a big one and Arnberger does what his reputation says he should, is there any hope for Lower Plenty to stay up?

Shame to see either club go down to be honest - both pretty good clubs and generally decent blokes (except that Dave Quinlan character! ;))

all out 380 and they stay up i think.

With all the talk about relegation, interested in peoples thoughts - especially from Macleod, Lower Plenty, Lalor & Mernda who've all experienced both recently on what it actually means to there club.

Having almost experienced it, apart from perceptions, i don't think a lot changes. The same players will play, the same supporters will support, the sponsors won't drop off and to be honest if a player thought he was too good to play money shiled, you wouldn't want them anyway.
At the end of the day, it's local cricket and you should play for your club, regardless of what leauge/divison or association they are in.

Just to be clear, i'm interested in the impact on the club, not the playing side of the equation.

Bubble Wrap;329306 said:
OK, I got interested and made up a spreadsheet to show how it all works.

Basically, if Lower Plenty were to pass Eltham 4 down, then they would stay up.

If Lower Plenty were 5 down, they would need 264 runs to stay up
If Lower Plenty were 6 down, they would need 292 runs to stay up
If Lower Plenty were 7 down, they would need 320 runs to stay up
If Lower Plenty were 8 down, they would need 348 runs to stay up
If Lower Plenty were 9 down, they would need 376 runs to stay up
If Lower Plenty were 10 down, they would need 404 runs to stay up

As you can see, if Lower Plenty were to pass Eltham, the game is still not over - both teams will know the above targets and may well want to play well after a result is achieved to make sure the runs/wickets ratio is in their favour.

Disclaimer: I am not a mathematician - both clubs should do their own calculations and not rely on the above, as there's every chance I've ballsed it up!

By my calculations,

if Lower Plenty finish at 4/320 they will stay up. This make the ladder look something like this...

EL Made 86 for 2073 & Taken 81 for 2610 = .7480%
LP Made 98 for 2520 & Taken 72 for 2473 = .7627%

if Lower Plenty get to 3/260, (Bubblewrap, i think) it will look something like this...

EL Made 86 for 2073 & Taken 80 for 2550 = .7562%
LP Made 97 for 2460 & Taken 72 for 2473 = .7492%

Good luck to all.

Bubble Wrap;329278 said:

My understanding is that LP can avoid relegation if they win BIG. Does this mean winning by 8 wickets, 7, etc?

Probably a bit farfetched, but with Eltham's bowling attack being just honest, and if Zerafa has a big one and Arnberger does what his reputation says he should, is there any hope for Lower Plenty to stay up?

Shame to see either club go down to be honest - both pretty good clubs and generally decent blokes (except that Dave Quinlan character! ;))

I think you are the first person on here, to have a go at his father! haha

You do make a valid point though, two good clubs that are having a rough year, and may go down. It is a massive shame, but someone has to do it! There is one very good point to look at (and this is following on Brad's point) no longer does it appear the team that comes UP will get smashed and go back down. Whilst most people (myself included) think Money shield is a poo comp, it is getting better. Not the whole way through, but the top 4 go alright when they come up.

legend of a bear;329316 said:
By my calculations,

if Lower Plenty finish at 4/320 they will stay up. This make the ladder look something like this...

if Lower Plenty get to 3/260, (Bubblewrap, i think) it will look something like this...

Good luck to all.

I see the discrepancy - I thought the ladder on the DVCA website already included Eltham's innings last week.

If not, then it goes like this:

Lower need to pass Eltham 2 down to avoid relegation.

If they are 3 down, they need to score 272
If they are 4 down, they need to score 301
If they are 5 down, they need to score 329
If they are 6 down, they need to score 358
If they are 7 down, they need to score 387
If they are 8 down, they need to score 416
If they are 9 down, they need to score 444
If they are 10 down, they need to score 473

Challenge looks a fair bit harder than I first thought.

Bubble Wrap;329278 said:

is it better too struggle in the top grade and create unrest within the club which can come about when not having success or go down and regroup as a club for a season or two and then go back up. ( no dig at either club in Barclay as i know nothing about either).

Bubble Wrap;329356 said:
I see the discrepancy - I thought the ladder on the DVCA website already included Eltham's innings last week.

Nice work Shane, I just did the numbers myself and I reckon you are spot on.

If LP make 2/253 or 3/272 they will stay up. For every wicket they lose after their third they will need 29 runs or more to stay in the top flight.

Should make for an interesting days play!

Bundoora;329283 said:

As you can see, if Lower Plenty were to pass Eltham, the game is still not over - both teams will know the above targets and may well want to play well after a result is achieved to make sure the runs/wickets ratio is in their favour.

Disclaimer: I am not a mathematician - both clubs should do their own calculations and not rely on the above, as there's every chance I've ballsed it up!

CricketBox;329364 said:

If LP make 2/253 or 3/271 they will stay up. For every wicket they lose after their third they will need 29 runs or more to stay in the top flight.

Geez, i'm getting dizzy just reading these equations. I think i'll worry about it on Saturday night. We need Medel for his equations, because as his photo says back on page 93, he can count to potato.

Bubble Wrap;329306 said:

By my calculations,

Good luck to all.

The430king;329367 said:
Geez, i'm getting dizzy just reading these equations. I think i'll worry about it on Saturday night. We need Medel for his equations, because as his photo says back on page 93, he can count to potato.

Haha, you're right, he can count to potato.

King, although you and I need not worry about it until Saturday night, I'm tipping there will be at least 22 blokes worried about it all day Saturday.

Also, what are everyone's predictions for the other pointy end of the ladder?

Will Plenty be able to have another day out and sneak into 4th spot at the expense of Stars?

Will Mernda fight back for a reverse and get a home final that they so desperately need going on their current batting form?

What will happen in the LE vs Epping battle? Unless Plenty can get the outright and then win their semi final I reckon this is the GF preview. If Epping can skittle LE they will get a home final.

My tip for the final four is:

Lower Eltham
Epping
Mernda
Plenty

By my calculations,

Good luck to all.

CricketBox;329372 said:

Lower Eltham
Epping
Mernda
Plenty

I agree with your final four cricket box...wonder how things would look if the Round 1 Lalor vs Mernda clash went ahead.

If Lalor won that game, then they would be safe in 4th spot :eek:

If Mernda won, then they would be playing this week, -trying to protect their % in order to get a home final.

Amazing how things seem to fall into place for Plenty.

Bubble Wrap;329356 said:

If LP make 2/253 or 3/272 they will stay up. For every wicket they lose after their third they will need 29 runs or more to stay in the top flight.

Great reading today boys, very impressed with the way the BS thread is coming along nicely. Thanks to you boys for putting in alot of effort for those figures!

Shane you still bowl pies! :)

CricketBox;329364 said:

If LP make 2/253 or 3/271 they will stay up. For every wicket they lose after their third they will need 29 runs or more to stay in the top flight.

100% BULL;328714 said:
You should know Moorey, you give out the votes each week. Cant believe you are copping flack for not giving LBW's too.

You've been exposed Moorey!:D

Have no problems with you trying to guess my Identity but please do not offend me by pinning me as a white maggot.:p

The430king;329367 said:

Haha, you're right, he can count to potato.

King, although you and I need not worry about it until Saturday night, I'm tipping there will be at least 22 blokes worried about it all day Saturday.

Also, what are everyone's predictions for the other pointy end of the ladder?

Will Plenty be able to have another day out and sneak into 4th spot at the expense of Stars?

Will Mernda fight back for a reverse and get a home final that they so desperately need going on their current batting form?

What will happen in the LE vs Epping battle? Unless Plenty can get the outright and then win their semi final I reckon this is the GF preview. If Epping can skittle LE they will get a home final.

Lower Eltham
Epping
Mernda
Plenty

Grandstand;329561 said:
Have no problems with you trying to guess my Identity but please do not offend me by pinning me as a white maggot.:p

i've narrowed it down to a possible three,

Bill Steinfort
Kym Spooner
Ron Herbert

CricketBox;329372 said:

Lower Eltham
Epping
Mernda
Plenty

I agree with your final four cricket box...wonder how things would look if the Round 1 Lalor vs Mernda clash went ahead.

If Lalor won that game, then they would be safe in 4th spot :eek:

If Mernda won, then they would be playing this week, -trying to protect their % in order to get a home final.

Amazing how things seem to fall into place for Plenty.

By my calculations,

Good luck to all.

where did the mathematical skills come from Bear?
Counting how many pieces of bread Hicksy used to "wipe up" the pasta sauce pot?

Great reading today boys, very impressed with the way the BS thread is coming along nicely. Thanks to you boys for putting in alot of effort for those figures!

Shane you still bowl pies! :)

I hear Arjuna Ranatunga is no longer playing at the moment and would like the Bundoora position? Has captained at a "reasonably high level" had some success personally. Any chance? :D

100% BULL;328714 said:
You should know Moorey, you give out the votes each week. Cant believe you are copping flack for not giving LBW's too.

You've been exposed Moorey!:D

Tongs;329641 said:
I hear Arjuna Ranatunga is no longer playing at the moment and would like the Bundoora position? Has captained at a "reasonably high level" had some success personally. Any chance? :D

Nice way to find out i got the "khyber pass":D

Grandstand;329561 said:

i've narrowed it down to a possible three,

Bill Steinfort
Kym Spooner
Ron Herbert

Bundoora;329631 said:

nah, they actually teach you how to add up at Captain's School...you should try it

By my calculations,

Good luck to all.

So is everyone picking Skip for the medel. Ive had a look through and i dont think he is home and hosed like everyone thinks. Going into the last round without predicting any of the votes i have the medel in this order

After 10 Rounds

P.Baker 15 (wont poll anymore)
S.Gibbs 14 (Still to bat)
J.Witcher 13 (Still to bat)
M.Minney 12 (Possible 3 in round 11)

Work is slow..................

bradfromeltham;329682 said:
So is everyone picking Skip for the medel. Ive had a look through and i dont think he is home and hosed like everyone thinks. Going into the last round without predicting any of the votes i have the medel in this order

After 10 Rounds

Im tipping Gibbs and Witcher to battle it out gibbs makes a ton his got it.

Tongs;329641 said:

Nice way to find out i got the "khyber pass":D

Bundoora;329283 said:

With all the talk about relegation, interested in peoples thoughts - especially from Macleod, Lower Plenty, Lalor & Mernda who've all experienced both recently on what it actually means to there club.

Having almost experienced it, apart from perceptions, i don't think a lot changes. The same players will play, the same supporters will support, the sponsors won't drop off and to be honest if a player thought he was too good to play money shiled, you wouldn't want them anyway.
At the end of the day, it's local cricket and you should play for your club, regardless of what leauge/divison or association they are in.

Just to be clear, i'm interested in the impact on the club, not the playing side of the equation.
At LP we went down to MS a few years ago and luckily won the flag and went straight back up. Hopefully all the players irrespective of tomorrows result will stay and work hard to gain even more respect of the DVCA clubs. Last time all sponsors, players, supporters stayed and the Club has strenthened its numbers since

Great work from the Committee this season has seen the Club grow bigger and stronger, and unfortunately they have NOT been backed by the Barclay Shield team. Fingers crossed.

Bundoora;329631 said:

nah, they actually teach you how to add up at Captain's School...you should try it

After 10 Rounds

Best of luck to LP, hopefully back up shortly. Massive effort from skips, single handedly keeping the panthers in the top flight. If he has a year off (as is the tip) it'll be tough for eltham, but it'll be a long summer.

After 10 Rounds

Im tipping Gibbs and Witcher to battle it out gibbs makes a ton his got it.

K guys, thourghts for the granny?
Epping V Lower, we would think but you never no.
Epping with the strong bowling and Lower with the strong Batting
Epping- key players-McTaggart, Topham, Fletcher, Angelucci, the Hurst Boys.
Lower E- key players- Whitcher, Gunn, L.POyder, Slavatore and Still(is due)

what r ya thourghts on the other sides guys can they get close to the top 2

Bundoora;329283 said:

At LP we went down to MS a few years ago and luckily won the flag and went straight back up. Hopefully all the players irrespective of tomorrows result will stay and work hard to gain even more respect of the DVCA clubs. Last time all sponsors, players, supporters stayed and the Club has strenthened its numbers since

Great work from the Committee this season has seen the Club grow bigger and stronger, and unfortunately they have NOT been backed by the Barclay Shield team. Fingers crossed.

After 10 Rounds

hat-trick wont get ANY votes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back