Dvca - C Grade And Below - Season 2011/12

We raised this review as an agenda item and hope that the Executive will select a date, venue and Clubs such as Bundoora (who decided not to take part in the working party last winter) will send a rep along. Once our recommendations were presented and subsequently changed all we got was an email from Bundoora bagging the daylights out of the proposal. Let's not use these forums to make change, lets get involved!

Tony, the proposal as I remember it was sent out to the clubs to comment on. I responded to you (the committee) with my thoughts. Hardly think i bagged the crap out of the proposal. I offered my thoughts, for your review - on how I saw the comp should be structured. You requested feedback and I gave it.
Yes wasnt happy we just didnt follow that standard One Day rules for this trial year instead of re inventing the wheel. (ie reduced overs, batsman retiring etc..). I also suggested we have 2 divisions - one for open graded players and one for C grade & below. This would stop one off players dominating.

However the rules were not the issue this year.
The issue is we scheduled a comp designed (and i thought voted on) to play every second week to play 16 out of 18 weeks.
That defeated the purpose of the comp. Made filling a team week to week near impossible which subsequently affected qualification.
The comp needs to be run as a stand alone comp - like the vets. Grading levels are not effected by the ODC. Players - if fixturing permits - can be selected to play 2 matches over the weekend. The number of forfeits in the comp this year was unacceptable.
We ourselves gave 3 which we are certianly not happy about. Apart from the $$ is just a bad rap for the club.
The DVCA should be encourgaing as many people to play as often as possible. The comp this year- the way saw it designed - simply put barriers in place to prevent this, not encourage it.

As for your ODC committee, at the delegates meeting you requested a committee of a few people. I understand you got 3-4 responents from that, didnt think you needed more. My bad if that want the case.

Lots of work to do in this competition going forward. It simply didnt work well this year and was treated as a mickey mouse comp by most. If it is to be successful - and we need it to be - then it needs some work. Happy to help if you want me to.

Tony, the proposal as I remember it was sent out to the clubs to comment on. I responded to you (the committee) with my thoughts. Hardly think i bagged the crap out of the proposal. I offered my thoughts, for your review - on how I saw the comp should be structured. You requested feedback and I gave it.
Yes wasnt happy we just didnt follow that standard One Day rules for this trial year instead of re inventing the wheel. (ie reduced overs, batsman retiring etc..). I also suggested we have 2 divisions - one for open graded players and one for C grade & below. This would stop one off players dominating.

However the rules were not the issue this year.
The issue is we scheduled a comp designed (and i thought voted on) to play every second week to play 16 out of 18 weeks.
That defeated the purpose of the comp. Made filling a team week to week near impossible which subsequently affected qualification.
The comp needs to be run as a stand alone comp - like the vets. Grading levels are not effected by the ODC. Players - if fixturing permits - can be selected to play 2 matches over the weekend. The number of forfeits in the comp this year was unacceptable.
We ourselves gave 3 which we are certianly not happy about. Apart from the $$ is just a bad rap for the club.
The DVCA should be encourgaing as many people to play as often as possible. The comp this year- the way saw it designed - simply put barriers in place to prevent this, not encourage it.

As for your ODC committee, at the delegates meeting you requested a committee of a few people. I understand you got 3-4 responents from that, didnt think you needed more. My bad if that want the case.

Lots of work to do in this competition going forward. It simply didnt work well this year and was treated as a mickey mouse comp by most. If it is to be successful - and we need it to be - then it needs some work. Happy to help if you want me to.

I have to disagree Bull. Whilst yes i agree partly that there are things that need to be ironed out - like with all things that are NEW to the comp - I believe that it ran reasonably smooth and was successful. Eltham took the option (Yes option, you didn't have to have a 1day side, remember that) to have a team in the comp, and this was on top of what we already had, meaning we had to not only fill our bottom grade, which is made up of mostly juniours, but also a whole new team. Yes we had to forfeit two games along the way, but it also brought in about 5 -8 brand new players to the club. I like the reduced bowling option, i like the batsmen retiring, but I don't like that the batsmen can't come back in at the end if everyone else is all out. But that is part and parcel with a new concept/format to a comp.

I was at the meeting and they never mentioned playing every second week, but said that it MAY look like that "Depending on the number of teams nominating". And once all nominations are in, they can then do the formats based on numbers.

As I mentioned earlier, remember you had a choice to pick a side in it, you didn't have to.

I have to disagree Bull. Whilst yes i agree partly that there are things that need to be ironed out - like with all things that are NEW to the comp - I believe that it ran reasonably smooth and was successful. Eltham took the option (Yes option, you didn't have to have a 1day side, remember that) to have a team in the comp, and this was on top of what we already had, meaning we had to not only fill our bottom grade, which is made up of mostly juniours, but also a whole new team. Yes we had to forfeit two games along the way, but it also brought in about 5 -8 brand new players to the club. I like the reduced bowling option, i like the batsmen retiring, but I don't like that the batsmen can't come back in at the end if everyone else is all out. But that is part and parcel with a new concept/format to a comp.

I was at the meeting and they never mentioned playing every second week, but said that it MAY look like that "Depending on the number of teams nominating". And once all nominations are in, they can then do the formats based on numbers.

As I mentioned earlier, remember you had a choice to pick a side in it, you didn't have to.

Year one was always going to have its teething problems, whilst we have our opions at Bundoora we werent activtly sooking, rather reacting to a comment from Thomo. I think its great that a ODC is up and running, even though Im personally not a fan, the challenge now is to tweak the rules, format, fixture, etc to get the best possible outcome for all stakeholders.

Year one was always going to have its teething problems, whilst we have our opions at Bundoora we werent activtly sooking, rather reacting to a comment from Thomo. I think its great that a ODC is up and running, even though Im personally not a fan, the challenge now is to tweak the rules, format, fixture, etc to get the best possible outcome for all stakeholders.

Whilst I do my utmost not to defend Thomastown, and you know that Bundoora and Eltham have a great relationship, I am 100% on the side of Thomastown on this arguement. I understand that things happen late on a Saturday morning, and that it can be a knightmare with blokes pulling out, but I would be dead set filthy if I or my clubs players rocked up to a ground to be told that the game was off. That is reasonably poor form. Poor from the club? Or poor from the players that pulled out on the saturday morning and left the club in a shit position. Either way, I would let loose on here too.

As for the actively sooking comment. You're not, but your partner in crime had a good crack at spitting the dummy!

Whilst I do my utmost not to defend Thomastown, and you know that Bundoora and Eltham have a great relationship, I am 100% on the side of Thomastown on this arguement. I understand that things happen late on a Saturday morning, and that it can be a knightmare with blokes pulling out, but I would be dead set filthy if I or my clubs players rocked up to a ground to be told that the game was off. That is reasonably poor form. Poor from the club? Or poor from the players that pulled out on the saturday morning and left the club in a shit position. Either way, I would let loose on here too.

As for the actively sooking comment. You're not, but your partner in crime had a good crack at spitting the dummy!

Nah, that wasn't a good crack, you should see him in full flight, he'd be swearing and dust would be flying everywhere.:)

See Camera stacked their side in C grade on the weekend with McGann, Berak and Pouigus and might get rolled, plenty of coin to pay for playing C grade.

See Camera stacked their side in C grade on the weekend with McGann, Berak and Pouigus and might get rolled, plenty of coin to pay for playing C grade.

Volpe could have pould have played C grade on form couldnt he? The great Jika powerhouse....yeah sure!

can anyone help with this topic ...i was led to believe that a player can not be dropped more than 2 grades , can not seem to find it in the rule book .

can anyone help with this topic ...i was led to believe that a player can not be dropped more than 2 grades , can not seem to find it in the rule book .
I am pretty sure that rule isn't around anymore. Also, if it helps, it was 2 grades at that club. For example, if the club had a Barclay Shield team, Money Reserve (C) and E Grade, a player who played Barclay could then play in E grade the next game as it is 2 grades below at their club. THat was my understanding, but as I said. I don't think that rule is around anymore.

I am pretty sure that rule isn't around anymore. Also, if it helps, it was 2 grades at that club. For example, if the club had a Barclay Shield team, Money Reserve (C) and E Grade, a player who played Barclay could then play in E grade the next game as it is 2 grades below at their club. THat was my understanding, but as I said. I don't think that rule is around anymore.

Thanks Tongs . looks like i lost that bet,:)

Thanks Tongs . looks like i lost that bet,:)

Yep correct Tongs. Was the 'Terry Keays' rule.

When he played at bundoora back in his prime, pulled out of A grade with a leg injury. Ending up being a late inclusion & playing in D grade to make up numbers. Bowled off 3 steps and absolutely terrified some blokes. Also made 60 odd too i think. Think we won outright.

The next year it got raised and voted in the 2 grade rule. However it has since been removed. (lasted 2-3 years i think)

i still think it should be in. Maybe worded differently. Players who play Barlcay, Money or B grade in a season, should not be able to fill in for say E or below. (maybe limit is 2 grades in above grades to prevent restricting maybe a kid who fills in up the grades early in season when numbers are low)

Yep correct Tongs. Was the 'Terry Keays' rule.

When he played at bundoora back in his prime, pulled out of A grade with a leg injury. Ending up being a late inclusion & playing in D grade to make up numbers. Bowled off 3 steps and absolutely terrified some blokes. Also made 60 odd too i think. Think we won outright.

The next year it got raised and voted in the 2 grade rule. However it has since been removed. (lasted 2-3 years i think)

i still think it should be in. Maybe worded differently. Players who play Barlcay, Money or B grade in a season, should not be able to fill in for say E or below. (maybe limit is 2 grades in above grades to prevent restricting maybe a kid who fills in up the grades early in season when numbers are low)

I think the rule should come back in the interest of fairness.

I don't think it needs to be changed or worded differently though - Any player can't drop more than 2 grades at his own club. Simple.

I think the rule should come back in the interest of fairness.

I don't think it needs to be changed or worded differently though - Any player can't drop more than 2 grades at his own club. Simple.

Is too much of a grey area, as mentioned, what if a kid fills in to make up numbers when everyone goes to Derby day?? or if a club has 3 Barclay or Money players who are unavailable for a wedding and want to play to help out the club the following week in E or F grade, are clubs expected to forfeit rather than fill a side.

As long as clubs don't take advantage of this too much, and have the 'gun player' bowling and batting up the order, as Keays did in the past and seams to be doing in the present.

Not that we need to justify shite comments from Thomo United,
Not a "shite" comment.

but the 4ths were hit hard by injuries (up the grades) Saturday morning leaving only the bare 7 players, 3 of which are young juniors. Ok yes we had 7 to start but not fair to play with 7 in 37 deg heat - given 3 or 4 were kids trying to make up numbers. Many phone calls were made but to no avail. Some of the players went straight to the ground from home so didnt know we had forfeited.
But you have tried to justify the clubs actions? ;) One of those calls could've been made to Thommo, asking to delay the game. The lastest a game can start is 1:30pm

The Thomo blokes who were seen drinking cans at 12:30 when our boys did turn up, didnt seem too unhappy about not playing in 37 degree either

tumblr_m04sn2yrUC1r85tr4.gif

Is too much of a grey area, as mentioned, what if a kid fills in to make up numbers when everyone goes to Derby day?? or if a club has 3 Barclay or Money players who are unavailable for a wedding and want to play to help out the club the following week in E or F grade, are clubs expected to forfeit rather than fill a side.

As long as clubs don't take advantage of this too much, and have the 'gun player' bowling and batting up the order, as Keays did in the past and seams to be doing in the present.
Can not see how keays is doing it now , the grade he is playing now is to high for him

I cannot believe Stars and Lower Eltham have made the F grade final! Not because they're bad, but because I was expecting Mill Park to get the job done easily and go all the way. Didn't get to play against Epping due to a poor decision to pull the team out for the last round but, by all reports (not just ladder position) were a solid team. Last season we knocked Mill Park out of the finals and went on to win G Grade. MP killed off our finals chances this season (with a lot of the same guys playing), so I thought the reverse was going to happen. They must be filthy!

To make matters worse, we had a good win against LE not that long ago and when we played Stars, we had the better of the game and were 90% confident were roll them before rain on the second week declared the game a draw (Another 160-odd to get, a team full of u14s and a ground with grass as tall as a cornfield? They were going, going, gone). Also, were we to look as good a we should've, it may've encouraged a certain, highly rated player at our club, who never trained, to join us and strengthen the team even further (like last season). I'm pretty confident we could've won 2 grades in a row now, hadn't the selection committee mess us around. This one's on them, I'm afraid. As if they'll give a s*** though "It's only F-grade." :rolleyes:

Might even turn up to the final and have a gander, but the GP is on, so maybe not. :p

Good luck to our boys as they take on Whittlesea in the Grand Final in D Grade. A great effort to beat Riverside outright in the semi last week

Still got it Fatguts!

Back