Dvca - Competition Restructure

What should we do with the Competition next season and beyond?

• Leave it as is

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Go through with the proposed change (10, 10, 8)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Change to a 12, 8, 8 Team Structure

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Having watched a lot of cricket at Research Park, I dont think I'd be wrong in saying the one topic that without fail comes up every game, is the amount of missed no balls that occur every week. As we all know, Research gives you a great view of this and to be honest, it's embarrassing to sit there every week and watch bowlers overstep by sometimes a good 12 inches and not be called. I've spoken to and heard many umpires acknowledge this but say "yeah we know guys overstep but we tend not to worry about the ones who only go a little bit over, just the ones that are really obvious. Problem with this is they're all obvious at Research and a no ball is a no ball. If a bowler is allowed to overstep by any margin and allowed to go unchecked, potentially gaining dismissals illegally, it is wrong. I'm pretty sure this happens at every game, every week but is only highlighted at Research due to the best view in the valley. How about from now on umpires adjudicate as the law says and put the onus on the bowler to get it right. I have no doubt bowlers are getting wickets and an advantage due to a flawed belief that the front foot no ball law has a varying degree of leniency. This is wrong and has a simple solution.

You never seemed to have a problem with this when chipper was no-balling 90% of the time up there. And from what I'm hearing the umps in money shield are putrid so good there.

You never seemed to have a problem with this when chipper was no-balling 90% of the time up there. And from what I'm hearing the umps in money shield are putrid so good there.
Incorrect. I/we did have a problem with it and it was just as embarrassing to watch. It's fair to say with the focus that chipper got, he started to get targeted more by the umps, resulting in more calls. i think it's a far more more general problem than just one bowler though and from discussions ive had, it seems that some umpires may only monitor intermittently the front foot. I don't understand how anyone bowls no ball to begin with. Surely it can't be too hard to keep your foot behind the line.

Incorrect. I/we did have a problem with it and it was just as embarrassing to watch. It's fair to say with the focus that chipper got, he started to get targeted more by the umps, resulting in more calls. i think it's a far more more general problem than just one bowler though and from discussions ive had, it seems that some umpires may only monitor intermittently the front foot. I don't understand how anyone bowls no ball to begin with. Surely it can't be too hard to keep your foot behind the line.

It's a lot easier keeping your nose behind the line if you know what I mean.⚖️

Well they are at their lowest ebb in the club's history. Both money and D grade sides finished bottom. They seem to have a few junior sides although which might be worth preservering with. I'm sure Steve ferry won't go down without a fight.

I simply do not understand how Whittlesea cannot support a cricket club. Suburbia is only going to grow out that way, I'm just at a loss to the fact there isn't 30 odd senior blokes in the whole town who want to play cricket.

I simply do not understand how Whittlesea cannot support a cricket club. Suburbia is only going to grow out that way, I'm just at a loss to the fact there isn't 30 odd senior blokes in the whole town who want to play cricket.

Spot on...
If a suburb like Bundoora can support 4 Clubs and approx 18 teams, then surely Whittlesea - as a one team town can field 2-3...
Perhaps comes down to poor management... ? Cant really comment as I dont know the people in charge or how theyre fairing, but I do know Peter Kile did a great job until he left.

I think grading would be a big stumbling block re Rivergum

Agree, however not sure there's any alternative other than any new club starting in Mash shield.

3 x grades of 10 would be ideal, 2 up and then 2 down.
Would need some thought and some open minds but I'm not against all 30 clubs playing each other over a 3 year period then re configure the 3 grades on those results. Understand it will never happen but it's something I've always thought could work

Agree, however not sure there's any alternative other than any new club starting in Mash shield.

Would need some thought and some open minds but I'm not against all 30 clubs playing each other over a 3 year period then re configure the 3 grades on those results. Understand it will never happen but it's something I've always thought could work

The 2 up / 2 down should be brought in across all grades from this season. I do understand that the ultimate prize of a premiership is what is strived for, but that is decided on 1 game. And if a side is dominant throughout the season, wins a Semi-Final and then has 1 bad day, they should still go up, It's not rewarding poor performances, it's rewarding good clubs having strong teams. Example this year is Banyule, their 2's lost the GF after having a good year in D grade, their E grade side dominated and won the GF easily, and their F3 side won as well. Unfortunately their 3's have to stay in E grade as they can't go up.

Sides over a 3 year period differ so much though that I'm not sure playing all 30 clubs over 3 years would tell you much.

Another thing I have often wondered is why we continue to start play at 1pm. We've only continued on doing so after junior cricket was stopped on Saturday because "that's how we have always done it".

Why not trial playing time of 11am - 4pm.

I know there's arguments for and against but for every bloke that works Saturday morning I am tipping there will be just as many who would appreciate the change

** as a bonus, you could tell the missus the coach wants us all at the ground by 10am from now on and not mention the revised times. Extra 2 hours on the pots

Last edited:
Another thing I have often wondered is why we continue to start play at 1pm. We've only continued on doing so after junior cricket was stopped on Saturday because "that's how we have always done it".

Why not trial playing time of 11am - 4pm.

I know there's arguments for and against but for every bloke that works Saturday morning I am tipping there will be just as many who would appreciate the change

** as a bonus, you could tell the missus the coach wants us all at the ground by 10am from now on and not mention the revised times. Extra 2 hours on the pots
Rate this very highly. The percentage of people who work Saturday isn't that high in my experience, get the cricket done earlier.

The 2 up / 2 down should be brought in across all grades from this season. I do understand that the ultimate prize of a premiership is what is strived for, but that is decided on 1 game. And if a side is dominant throughout the season, wins a Semi-Final and then has 1 bad day, they should still go up, It's not rewarding poor performances, it's rewarding good clubs having strong teams. Example this year is Banyule, their 2's lost the GF after having a good year in D grade, their E grade side dominated and won the GF easily, and their F3 side won as well. Unfortunately their 3's have to stay in E grade as they can't go up.

Yep, agree with that 100%.

Would create better grades in my opinion.

Back