Dvca - Competition Restructure

What should we do with the Competition next season and beyond?

• Leave it as is

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Go through with the proposed change (10, 10, 8)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Change to a 12, 8, 8 Team Structure

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If that helps you sleep at night, good for you Tongs. Very creative swapping two words, glad I helped you with the rest haha.

On a serious note, all I see are cowards from DVCA side of things, scared that an NMCA club will discredit and embarrass your association because everyone knows they will succeed.

How about this compromise, they send over the Rivergums 2s over to Mash Shield and keep the ones in Jika Shield and they can win 2 flags across both associations?

More than happy for them to try, but they can come through Mash Shield, if they're good enough..........

I see you've used the T20 comp as your measuring stick, no mention of Rivergum being beaten by a team that missed the Barclay finals this season or a couple years back when they coughed up 190 and were beaten by a Money Shield team.

There are 5 teams in Money Shield currently who probably would have won 5 in a row in Jika Shield, Rivergum are obviously a stand out, but the rest of it is ordinary.

If Rivergum are so good, they should be winning Barclay flags inside a few years, surely all those boys wouldn't mind a few more flags, what better than 3 in a row in a new comp.

Last edited:
It's quite simple if you break it down.The clubs run the comp, not the association. Clubs will vote out of self interest. Their main responsibility is to do what's best for themselves, not the competition.

Hypothetical at this stage but the only way i see Rivergum playing Money shield straight up is if an existing Money shield team requests to play Mash shield.

Not my intention to question the legitimacy of Rivergum, i actually have no doubt they'd be a good Barclay shield side. If they and Bundoora Park were to join I'd imagine it would be just about time to put the shutters up at the NMCA which would not be a good thing IMO but get the feeling it's something that Cricket Victoria may be pushing.

P.S if they do join, might be 3rd time lucky for Alex, couldn't make a run in 2 previous stints in the comp......

Regards
"DVCA Coward"

Exactly.

There are 5 teams in Money Shield that would finish possibly 3rd and 4th and would battle it out with Holy Trinity and Bundoora Park.

Is this the same Holy Trinity and Bundoora Park that regularly get beaten up in the 20/20 como that you have used as a guide for success ? Lol
Both those sides would be competitive at Mash Shield level and nothing more than that

3 titles and 7 top 4 appearances in 10 years and you revert examples of a loss where they made 190 and lost to BU who made 191 and went on to Went Money Shield that season? They Lost to a Barclay side a few times, but overall have beaten them consistently for 10 years where the wins far outweigh the losses. Nice try though.

There are 5 teams in Money Shield that would finish possibly 3rd and 4th and would battle it out with Holy Trinity and Bundoora Park.

Anyway, enjoyed the debate fellas, was very robust, fun and we went around in circles about 5 times.

From what I’ve gathered I’ll safely assume that agreeing to disagree is the only option and that Rivergum will have to stay with the NMCA.

Good luck to all finals over the weekend.

So what you're trying to tell me is the T20 results are a great indicator of Rivergum's Saturday cricket DVCA credentials, when they win, but shouldn't be taken into account if they get beaten, especially by a div 2 side.

Yep, got it.

FWIW, I do hope they end up in the DVCA, and I look forward to a potential match up in the coming years.

In your honest opinion, if the only way they will jump includes not going into Mash Shield, they'll stay in the NMCA?

It’s only barometer that we can revert to. There are for and againsts either way/side you look at it. Hence I stated quite clearly that it’s not an ideal yardstick to work off as you can’t win. Still it’s an impressive record that is unmatched by anyone and thats why I used it as my example.

I hope they come across too, but not like Camrea did when it was way too late. The time is now for both sides of the equation.

Of course they Stay in Jika, they want to win flags at a high level and Jika is better than Mash, so essentially it’s just a waste of time for them, their 2s would win in Mash.

What they’re asking for isn’t unprecedented, it happens quite a lot in other associations in the past.

Anyway I’m fighting a losing battle against you lot and it’s good to see that Rivergum don’t even need to bother attempting to negotiate this, thanks for the head up, much appreciated.

Good luck to DVCA finalists today, hopefully the weather clears up.

So request to go to one of those comps.

Good luck in your quest . Of course, if Rosebank follow you along with Bundoora Park, they all will be treated the same, however, cant see all starting in Money shield irrespective of current NMCA ladder positions

I see the point Beamer83 is making, but which one of the current DVCA teams gets the bad news? Sorry, you're out because we want to get over this other side. I was a part of a team that worked hard to win a flag and go up, only to get shafted in a reschuffle of the grades and I can tell you that it sucked.

At the end of the day, the DVCA doesn't need Rivergum. If they want to come over then they will have to accept our terms and I have to agree with most above, you have to earn your place. From the looks of it, the NMCA Men's Competition is only a couple of clubs folding away from being on life support, so they may not have a choice in a few years anyway.

Goes for any applying club really. Have Bundoora Park really applied to enter the DVCA? If so, can't see them getting knocked back, although is it just my imagination or was Lalor knocked back a few years ago?

How many clubs can the NMCA afford to lose before being led out the back like Old Yeller?

Comp has asked for feedback on playing all one dayers in F and below. Not sure if that much is needed but 100% need more one day cricket in lower grades IMO to keep players interested.

Could they run say 3 or 4 grades of one day cricket, 8 teams a grade play 15 Saturdays, take cup weekend off etc, start maybe a week or two later.

Need to change a few things up I reckon down in the lower X1's.

Only support one day cricket if they start earlier and play 50 over innings. It's completely doable if you limit changing ends to every 5 overs and kick off at 12. 35 overs is just not enough to play any type of decent cricket. Plus I think you'll end up losing players, especially mediocre players who say bowl second change and/or bat in the lower order. You could easily go multiple games and not get a bat or bowl. 15 Saturdays, so play less cricket too? That's not good.

We tried the one day comp, it died a swift death. I don't think we need to repeat that mistake.

Back