DVCA Off-Season 202021

Thoughts on whether play will get underway this side of Xmas?

Not a chance. With the 1 month extension to the lock down they will for sure have a couple of months at stage 3 which will be no more than a few people gathering. But on the other hand we could probably get a full season in next year in a couple of months because by that time no one will have a job and we can play cricket during weekdays........only half joking too....

Not a chance. With the 1 month extension to the lock down they will for sure have a couple of months at stage 3 which will be no more than a few people gathering. But on the other hand we could probably get a full season in next year in a couple of months because by that time no one will have a job and we can play cricket during weekdays........only half joking too....

lockdown hasnt been extended, state of emergency has till sept 13th

No point starting unless clubs can operate. A bar/canteen. I would be happy to have a shorter season even a year of one day games once this is all over with. I reckon some clubs will struggle to operate without bar sales etc.

No point starting unless clubs can operate. A bar/canteen. I would be happy to have a shorter season even a year of one day games once this is all over with. I reckon some clubs will struggle to operate without bar sales etc.
Hopefully 50 allowed inside at any time, plus 50-100 outside... Let's be honest, there isn't many clubs who will have that issue unlike a NFNL club game day.. I'm just being optimistic, but I reckon it's certainly doable. This season, whenever it will be, will be very different, but let's just hope the shit is somewhat under control and the Govt. realises how important it is to get some sort of community sport back, it's very important to the mental health of so many people.

If we have to register to go to a ground, wear masks, socially distance, restrict celebrations, hand sanitize.. so be it, it'll be a small price to pay to get some local sport on.

Clubs are expensive to run and I reckon it will be a lean year with regards to sponsorship. So the bar will an important revenue stream. Especially the clubs with high “on field” costs

Clubs are expensive to run and I reckon it will be a lean year with regards to sponsorship. So the bar will an important revenue stream. Especially the clubs with high “on field” costs
IMO, it will largely depend on two things; If clubs have a war chest and if they pay players. If it's the latter they will struggle. DVCA will reduce fees. Councils will provide financial relief (they offered this to NFNL clubs) so, a match ball costs $55, umpires $150 arvo tea $10 (if allowed) total match day costs $215 per Saturday x say 12 days = $2,580 pa. by say 2 teams who have umpys = $5,160. 2 x Lower grade ball costs say $1,000. Total on field costs assuming no player payments = $6,160, call it $7,000 - actual onfiled costs to play the game.

Coaching fees if paid then to be factored in and this is where the war chest helps.

Without even factoring in membership fees, I reckon clubs could still generate enough sponsorship to cover costs.

It is not insurmountable and absolutely nothing like footy.

And bring on the hybrid one day games, 50 overs an innings, 11.30 start, half hour/innings break @ 2.30, drinks break in second session.

The will of the people will prevail.

I believe Cricket Vic are proposing a first week of December start. If Govt give tick then fixtures will be built around that date. Apparently cricketers need 4 weeks training before recommencing. So training can commence 1st week November. I like the idea of 50 overs per side to get things going.

we can really only use England as a guide at the moment with their cricket up and about again. But our rates of infection come November/December will be far more manageable then what the UK’s are right now and they are still managing to play just fine.
It will all come down to the Premier and the advice he receives.

This 50 over concept sounds interesting. Let’s bring in the fielding restrictions!

IMO, it will largely depend on two things; If clubs have a war chest and if they pay players. If it's the latter they will struggle. DVCA will reduce fees. Councils will provide financial relief (they offered this to NFNL clubs) so, a match ball costs $55, umpires $150 arvo tea $10 (if allowed) total match day costs $215 per Saturday x say 12 days = $2,580 pa. by say 2 teams who have umpys = $5,160. 2 x Lower grade ball costs say $1,000. Total on field costs assuming no player payments = $6,160, call it $7,000 - actual onfiled costs to play the game.

Coaching fees if paid then to be factored in and this is where the war chest helps.

Without even factoring in membership fees, I reckon clubs could still generate enough sponsorship to cover costs.

And bring on the hybrid one day games, 50 overs an innings, 11.30 start, half hour/innings break @ 2.30, drinks break in second session.

That will depend upon who your sponsors are, how well their business has gone/is going, whether they have the money to spare for this, and whether they still even exist.

We're not getting a season in, unless they manage to eliminate the virus, as soon as restrictions get eased the cases will multiply again because there is no herd immunity out there. Unfortunately the government can't go back now, they threw everything at this lock down, it's not going to work but if they backtrack and say, oh well, this didn't work, we'll just have to live with it....well they won't admit they destroyed business and lives for nothing.

I did think they had extended lock down but I believe they were only considering it, but I bet they will extend it.

I’m confident we will have a season, I don’t envy the task ahead of joe and the league but I think there is enough time to have a meaningful season.

Did you hear today though, the numbers being tested are dropping and if that happens then they are looking at extending the lock down.....but you are turned away from testing unless you have symptoms. More cases means an extension to restrictions. They are setting it up to get extended restrictions no matter what happnes.

Back