DVCA Off-Season 2021

Bored during lockdown and having a look at the socials/clearances.

Fill the gaps.

Bundoora the biggest mover and shaker in the off-season. Banyule some big outs.

NEW - gained handy bat/keeper from Ferntree Gulley Jayden Bradbury
Riverside - Luke Money coming back from stints at Subbies/District
Banyule - New coach pybus, lost Tyler, Lewis, most importantly Occa
Rosanna - seems quiet so far
Heidelberg - Gained Ben Rowe, Sean mortell from Eltham/Lower Eltham
Epping - new coach Bubis, wonder if the money men will be playing?
Macleod - seems quiet so far
Diamond Creek - new co-coach set up, Mcellen from Hursty, rumours of Lloyd Mash playing yet to be confirmed?
Lower Eltham - new playing coach from Sydenham-Hillside CC
Plenty - seems quiet so far

Bundoora Park - Lost Riley Hillyear to Mill Park
Research - quiet so far
Montmorency - quiet so far
Lalor Stars - quiet so far
BU- glenn turner playing
Eltham - lost rowe, no new coach announced after advertising
Bundoora - Taggar, sharman plus others playing, biggest movers of the off-season so far
Mernda- quiet so far
OP - Wegener x 2 returning, plus others
MP - Gained Hillyear from Mill Park keeper bat

Rosebank - gained a couple handy cricketers from subbies
Panton hill -
Whittlesea - seems to have kept core bunch of young players plus gained a couple
Laurimar - new coach, few recruits on the older side with experience in money shield
Lower Plenty - Quiet
Thomastown United - quiet
South Morang - quiet
Thomastown - quiet
Hurstbridge - quiet
Greensborough - few pick ups from uni it seems.
Great summary of the off season. Looking forward to seeing a very competitive Mash shield this year. There are 6 or 7 teams that can push for a win.
I think Money shield will be a battle between Bundoora United and Bundoora Park.
Barclays based off the last 2 years has had 8 different finalist.. now going into a mixture of one day and 2 day games (at this stage) it is genuinely anybody’s to win.

We're still half a chance to start on time.
Optimistic take I would’ve thought. Whether we start on time or not, it’d be a logistical nightmare if we were to go into another lockdown mid way through a two day game. As frustrating as it is, I think another season of one day cricket is the logical course of action given the current circumstances.

Last edited:
Optimistic take I would’ve thought. Whether we start on time or not, it’d be a logistical nightmare if we were to go into another lockdown mid way through a two day game. As frustrating as it is, I think another season of one day cricket is the logical course of action given the current circumstances.
I think we could be okay. Target says end of October 70% vaccinated and end of lockdowns. Worst case, let’s just get rid of the one day games in the first 4 weeks.
One day cricket should be a last resort.

Last edited:
What's the least amount of two dayers the comp would be happy with ? 7? Verse everyone once in a two dayer then the rest one dayers. Season will be unfair yeah we understand that and just gotta cop it but if we can't 100% say everyone will get the chance to verse everyone in a two day game I think it should just be one dayers.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

I think we could be okay. Target says end of October 70% vaccinated and end of lockdowns. Worst case, let’s just get rid of the one day games in the first 4 weeks.
One day cricket should be a last resort.
Play some Saturday Sunday One day games during early January, when most players are scratching for something to do.

Play some Saturday Sunday One day games during early January, when most players are scratching for something to do.
When you’re on the wrong side of 40 and not
playing in your teams first XI, I can’t say I’d be too keen.
Only need 18 weekends to pull out a 9 game season of 2 day games.
Needless to say many people will not be going to the spring racing carnival again this year. Tragedy on its own

Fill the gaps.

Diamond Creek - new co-coach set up, Mcellen from Hursty, rumours of Lloyd Mash playing yet to be confirmed?

Research - quiet so far
BU- glenn turner playing
Bundoora - Taggar, sharman plus others playing, biggest movers of the off-season so far
Mernda- quiet so far

Panton hill -
Whittlesea - seems to have kept core bunch of young players plus gained a couple
Laurimar - new coach, few recruits on the older side with experience in money shield
Lower Plenty - Quiet
South Morang - quiet
Thomastown - quiet
Hurstbridge - quiet
Rumor has it plenty have signed young gun the Big Mitch (Bitch) Elzink. Can't kick on his left but apparently can bowl on it, taking time away from delivering pizzas to serving pies for any team lucky enough to face him. Will be interesting to see how he goes after taking some time off cricket but apparently he rates himself.

Fill the gaps.

Research - quiet so far
BU- glenn turner playing
Mernda- quiet so far

Panton hill -
Lower Plenty - Quiet
South Morang - quiet
Thomastown - quiet
Hurstbridge - quiet

Andy Villani will be a huge inclusion after his recent health battles. One of the great people of the dvca.

Bit board in lockdown at the moment. Who is your answer to each of these!? I'll go first.

Best Captain: Jake Lambert NEW
Best Coach: Neil Crosthwaite ROS
Best Batsman: Adam Tsapataris NEW
Best Bowler: Chris Salm RCC
Most Explosive Bat: Nathan Chrimes RCC
Fastest Bowler: Andrew Fotinopoulos HCC
Best Spin Bowler: Rob Wise MCC
Best Keeper: Tom Emmins EPP
Best Fielder: Nick Murray BAN

Who you got?

Best Captain: Jake Lambert NEW
Best Coach: Luke Rosbrook RCC
Best Batsman: Adam Tsapataris NEW
Best Bowler: Chris Salm RCC
Most Explosive Bat: Nathan Chrimes RCC
Fastest Bowler: Chris Salm HCC
Best Spin Bowler: Rob Wise MCC
Best Keeper: Tom McLean DCCC
Best Fielder: Rob Wise MCC

Is there a legitimate argument to say that there has to be bowling restrictions?

Let's be honest, it's going to be a short format dominated season again but is there any reason bloke can only bowl 8 overs when his batting counterpart can bat for 40 overs if he's good enough?

Is there a legitimate argument to say that there has to be bowling restrictions?

Let's be honest, it's going to be a short format dominated season again but is there any reason bloke can only bowl 8 overs when his batting counterpart can bat for 40 overs if he's good enough?

I personally can think of many. I wouldn't want less people participating especially when the formats are shorter. It provides more reason for clubs to play young kids, instead of old boys who are happy to not bat and bowl and just be out there. It challenges captains to use 5 bowlers at different times, which is just as important as field placements and it encourages more risks, big scores and also more wickets! It will close the gap between the best team and the team with the best players winning the comp.

I personally can think of many. I wouldn't want less people participating especially when the formats are shorter. It provides more reason for clubs to play young kids, instead of old boys who are happy to not bat and bowl and just be out there. It challenges captains to use 5 bowlers at different times, which is just as important as field placements and it encourages more risks, big scores and also more wickets! It will close the gap between the best team and the team with the best players winning the comp.
Virtually all of those reasons could equally well justify batting restrictions.

I personally think 50-55 over one day games with no bowling restrictions would work well in the Shield grades. You get the best of both worlds - a result at the end of the day’s play, as well as the front line bowlers gaining a legitimate opportunity to influence the result. Clearly the main flaw in this idea would be for the tradies who would struggle to make it in time for the earlier start. Certainly food for thought though.

Couldn’t agree more. My wish would be 50 over one day games, with no restriction on the bowler’s overs

Geeze that would be fun if you're an all rounder or change bowler; getting to bat at 8 and stand in the field 40 overs watching the same two blokes bowl 20 from each end every game while getting a bat for a couple of overs once every 3 games. Great way to watch your younger players leave for other opportunities in other competitions or simply no play at all, cos the game you're proposing here sounds about a fun and engaging as rectal surgery.

You'd also instantly encourage teams with more $$ to throw massive bucks at 2 bowlers to buy themselves a flag. Honestly, one of the worst ideas I think I've heard.

Back