DVCA Off-Season 2021

Geeze that would be fun if you're an all rounder or change bowler; getting to bat at 8 and stand in the field 40 overs watching the same two blokes bowl 20 from each end every game while getting a bat for a couple of overs once every 3 games. Great way to watch your younger players leave for other opportunities in other competitions or simply no play at all, cos the game you're proposing here sounds about a fun and engaging as rectal surgery.

You'd also instantly encourage teams with more $$ to throw massive bucks at 2 bowlers to buy themselves a flag. Honestly, one of the worst ideas I think I've heard.

very specific scenario… and coming from a batsman. So of course you’d think it’s a horrible idea

Geeze that would be fun if you're an all rounder or change bowler; getting to bat at 8 and stand in the field 40 overs watching the same two blokes bowl 20 from each end every game while getting a bat for a couple of overs once every 3 games. Great way to watch your younger players leave for other opportunities in other competitions or simply no play at all, cos the game you're proposing here sounds about a fun and engaging as rectal surgery.

You'd also instantly encourage teams with more $$ to throw massive bucks at 2 bowlers to buy themselves a flag. Honestly, one of the worst ideas I think I've heard.
Pretty simple make it mandatory to use 5 bowlers and only 1 bowler can exceed 8 overs. Becomes a game within a game with the skipper having to decide which bowler, if any, can go over 8. Rewards a bowler who is having a great day out, like a batsman

Pretty simple make it mandatory to use 5 bowlers and only 1 bowler can exceed 8 overs. Becomes a game within a game with the skipper having to decide which bowler, if any, can go over 8. Rewards a bowler who is having a great day out, like a batsman
& if a captain was stupid enough to pick a team with only 2 bowlers in a match then all power to him lol.

I dare say unless one bowlers name was McGrath and the other Cummins there would be more bowlers used.. not sure if you’ve seen many of the blokes going around.. they’re not the fittest.. can’t imagine 20-25 overs from one end. Most likely scenario would be 4 bowlers used and extra batsman picked.. I’d say all the blokes batting would have a chance.. please list the amount of games that go 80 overs let alone 100 overs.

Typically poor take from you. We're talking specifically about SHIELD GRADES here, which is the pinnacle for local clubs. A grade cricket isn't about gifting everyone an equal role, it's about winning games of cricket. If we were talking about juniors or lower grades then you would've raised a valid point, but we're not.

To your last point, it's the club's prerogative to spend their cash however they please. If they decide to invest in a match winning bowler, then so be it. I don't see how that's an issue whatsoever.

You talk about A grade like it's some big deal. Playing A grade in the DVCA is like being the shiniest turd in the pile. If anyone here was any good you wouldn't be playing in the DVCA. I don't care if you're A grade or Z grade, you're still here to actually enjoy playing some cricket and having unlimited overs for bowlers in one day games will create an issue where some players are basically doing nothing by fielding. Fun times..not and you will push younger players away. Typical short sighted view from you.

Said it before and will say it again; cricketers are the worst people to run cricket clubs.

Yeh imagine that, selection committees might have to put some thought into picking sides and skippers might have to show some tactical awareness....oh...on second thought.....

You talk about A grade like it's some big deal. Playing A grade in the DVCA is like being the shiniest turd in the pile. If anyone here was any good you wouldn't be playing in the DVCA. I don't care if you're A grade or Z grade, you're still here to actually enjoy playing some cricket and having unlimited overs for bowlers in one day games will create an issue where some players are basically doing nothing by fielding. Fun times..not and you will push younger players away. Typical short sighted view from you.

Said it before and will say it again; cricketers are the worst people to run cricket clubs.
Thank fu*k cynical blokes like you aren’t running the comp then. Let’s make some new rules for you, seeing as though everyone is a glorified back yard cricketer in your eyes let’s bring in mandatory VB breaks at the end of over and no golden ducks so everyone has fun and has a go. Give me an almighty spell

This was beyond painful to read, get outdoors a bit more please

The joke is on all of you, haven't you read his profile picture. The man has been airing his grievances with himself and the world on here for long enough now, just ignore it and hopefully he winds up on a 4th grade thread.

Restrictions should go to 10 overs for a 40 over game, maybe 12 if it was 50. The argument of batsman being able to bat the innings while bowlers have restrictions is pointless, the balance between bat and ball is never even in more ways than one. It would be boring rocking up to a game knowing who was going to bowl the whole time. It heightens the new ball battle and if the game is on the line the death overs too.

The restrictions we have had are the same as any format we've always watched from international level down (can be split between min 5 bowlers) so it's not like its been disproportionate or lacking sense.

The joke is on all of you, haven't you read his profile picture. The man has been airing his grievances with himself and the world on here for long enough now, just ignore it and hopefully he winds up on a 4th grade thread.

Restrictions should go to 10 overs for a 40 over game, maybe 12 if it was 50. The argument of batsman being able to bat the innings while bowlers have restrictions is pointless, the balance between bat and ball is never even in more ways than one. It would be boring rocking up to a game knowing who was going to bowl the whole time. It heightens the new ball battle and if the game is on the line the death overs too.

The restrictions we have had are the same as any format we've always watched from international level down (can be split between min 5 bowlers) so it's not like its been disproportionate or lacking sense.

Oh so you actually agree there should be restrictions.

Thank fu*k cynical blokes like you aren’t running the comp then. Let’s make some new rules for you, seeing as though everyone is a glorified back yard cricketer in your eyes let’s bring in mandatory VB breaks at the end of over and no golden ducks so everyone has fun and has a go. Give me an almighty spell

There has to be some kind of balance between winning and actually enjoying playing, otherwise why play? Everyone in this comp is a glorified backyard cricketer, or do you make 20 bucks a game and call yourself a pro on linkedin?

If we are put back to one daty games in the lower Grades ie F and below, all games should become 40 over instead of 35 and all bowlers regardless of age should be able to bowl 8 overs straight. Its ridiculous that the lower grades are there to get the younger players to be involved but they cant bowl there maximum overs in one spell.

The argument of batsman being able to bat the innings while bowlers have restrictions is pointless, the balance between bat and ball is never even in more ways than one.

It's not a valid argument to compare a gun bowler to a batsman of equal ability. As a batsman, no matter how good you are, you can go out first ball. Whereas as a bowler you are guaranteed to bowl your full allocated overs assuming your captain let's you.

As for limited overs I think it's part of the spectacle to spread load across your bowlers as targeting the weaker, or the 4th or 5th bowler, (as well as fielding restrictions) is a skill in itself as one dayers are primarily about scoring rates. Test match or 2 dayers on the other hand the aim is to get 10 wickets and scoring rate isn't as important so you can bowl 2 bowlers all day although they will obviously tire out.

Last edited:
Noticing a lot of comps are coming out with "road maps" or plans... Have heard a lot of stuff about extending the overs to 45, playing with coloured clothing and white balls in the shield grades... Does anyone have a handle on the situation as it stands right now? Are the DVCA planning a meeting or anything?

Noticing a lot of comps are coming out with "road maps" or plans... Have heard a lot of stuff about extending the overs to 45, playing with coloured clothing and white balls in the shield grades... Does anyone have a handle on the situation as it stands right now? Are the DVCA planning a meeting or anything?

Would be great to see coloured clothes, white balls and 50 overs a side.

I imagine the white pill will be fairly scuffed by the end though haha

If we are put back to one daty games in the lower Grades ie F and below, all games should become 40 over instead of 35 and all bowlers regardless of age should be able to bowl 8 overs straight. Its ridiculous that the lower grades are there to get the younger players to be involved but they cant bowl there maximum overs in one spell.

That should be a permanent change. I know we saw it with our team, far more friends of friends and young guys dads were encouraged to have a hit. More blokes involved means more money coming into clubs.

I've always found bowling restrictions for kids ridiculous, you're dealing with 8-10 hours a week, yet they can bowl as much as they want at training or just with mates the other 160 hours each week.

That should be a permanent change. I know we saw it with our team, far more friends of friends and young guys dads were encouraged to have a hit. More blokes involved means more money coming into clubs.

I've always found bowling restrictions for kids ridiculous, you're dealing with 8-10 hours a week, yet they can bowl as much as they want at training or just with mates the other 160 hours each week.

Shield Grades- 50 overs, 10 max per bowler, fielding restrictions, colors and white balls.
Below- 40 overs, 8 max per bowler, fielding restrictions, colors and white balls.

Liven the comp up a bit.

The way the DV approach one day cricket is boring and flat.

Shield Grades- 50 overs, 10 max per bowler, fielding restrictions, colors and white balls.
Below- 40 overs, 8 max per bowler, fielding restrictions, colors and white balls.

Liven the comp up a bit.

The way the DV approach one day cricket is boring and flat.
Clothing would have needed to be ordered 3-4 months ago so that cannot happen. Also the correct procedure is YOUR club place a rule change proposal, get another club to second it and then submit and all the clubs can vote it in. If you have time to place a suggestion on a forum maybe speak to your club and get it voted on next year?

Back