DVCA:Under 16'1 banter 2009/10

Re: DVCA:Under 16'1 banter 2009/10

The U16 comp is going to be weaker coz there is already teams losing players from last year to play school cricket on turf. Why? coz its played on saturday mornings. There are already a number of HDCA u15 and u17 teams thanking the DVCA for playing juniors on Saturday mornings and accepting some DVCA rep players into their ranks. If Friday nights doesn't get voted in the DVCA can kiss goodbye a large number of other rep players who are waitng on the outcome of the vote. Then again who could blame someone for leaving when they can play juniors on Fridays and front up rested the next day for seniors.

Goliath;363872 said:
The U16 comp is going to be weaker coz there is already teams losing players from last year to play school cricket on turf. Why? coz its played on saturday mornings. There are already a number of HDCA u15 and u17 teams thanking the DVCA for playing juniors on Saturday mornings and accepting some DVCA rep players into their ranks. If Friday nights doesn't get voted in the DVCA can kiss goodbye a large number of other rep players who are waitng on the outcome of the vote. Then again who could blame someone for leaving when they can play juniors on Fridays and front up rested the next day for seniors.

You raise some very valid points Goliath. Losing any kids to other comps is a worry, especially those who are talented enough to take the DVCA into the next era so to speak. The DVCA as a whole is undoubtedly the strongest local competition IMO in the Northern suburbs.
Unfortunately over the past decade or so, our competition hasn't produced an abundance of "A" grade stars. Sure there has been a sprinkling that are doing ok a district level, but statistic wise the 17-25 year olds are not keeping up with the older more experienced cricketer.
This is a major problem IMO, as we are only 5 or so years away from 90% of the best performed cricketers retiring. Minney 40, Baker 40, Chersterton 48, Whitcher 40, Gibbs 37 and Lovey in the high 30's to name a few.
I often hear about the "turf" debate. Some say that only real cricket is turf cricket.
This maybe true, as we all see the International side of it played on turf, and of course to make it at that level one has to be a part of he District scene.
That's all well and good, but in my time there has only been a handful of players to make it at the top level or close to it. Tony Corcoran, Adam Dale, Adam and Josh McGinty. Dale the only one I believe to make International status.
In 25 years that is not a great return. All these guys were dominant "A" grade players before they ventured down to the distrct scene. One exception was Brendan Joyce who took the gamble at a young age to head down to Fitzroy and become a fine district player. He did not play any "A" grade.
What I am saying is. Unless a young bloke cannot dominate at A grade level by say 18 or 19 then a turf career should be the furtherest thing from their mind. Unfortunately the Valley lose "truck loads" of good juniors, not great juniors because of this. When they decide to return, invariably they struggle. Not through ability but through fear of not performing at grass roots level.
I have always said that the current junior structure is a shambles. Restrictions on bowling and batting only promotes mediocrity. Unfortunately the litigation element is killng cricket in general. My son is in his 3rd season this year. He is a bowler but only bowls approximately 6 overs a week. All because of restrictions and /or because everyone gets a go. As I said before, this does nothing but promote medicrity. We can only blame the Parent(s) who took legal action on the league when little Johnny returned home with a sore back from cricket one week.
The moral of the story is, " more is better".

Thats true Cold Case. Have a look at any professional sport today. They all have systems that encourage a steady, well coached, easy approach for their future stars to make the step from juniors to seniors. Its a shame cold case that the DVCA has the best senior clubs but still run their juniors without improving their systems for keeping their best juniors. The DVCA had one of the best U14 club sides in the state. Seems a shame that most of these kids may be in the HDCA this year. 2 have already signed with East Ivanhoe and 1 of these boys will play Falcons this year. No Friday night cricket means lower standard U 16s in the DVCA.

Goliath;363935 said:
Thats true Cold Case. Have a look at any professional sport today. They all have systems that encourage a steady, well coached, easy approach for their future stars to make the step from juniors to seniors. Its a shame cold case that the DVCA has the best senior clubs but still run their juniors without improving their systems for keeping their best juniors. The DVCA had one of the best U14 club sides in the state. Seems a shame that most of these kids may be in the HDCA this year. 2 have already signed with East Ivanhoe and 1 of these boys will play Falcons this year. No Friday night cricket means lower standard U 16s in the DVCA.

That is a shame and a loss for Diamond Valley Cricket. These decisions though, are not necessarily an executive direction. These topics are often taken to the clubs to vote on. Some clubs with a mere handfull of workers are loathe for change. Change means more time spent toiling at the club and with parents not so willing to help out as much as they probably should means a vote in the negative.
I come from a club that struggles to attract kids period! The geography of our club has strickened the influx of kids over the past decade. An ageing suburb and many other sports that are played Saturday morning. We have probably been guilty of not having a fantastic junior structure also. My club and its' senior committee basically have to run the juniors with one eye closed. Cannot get enough parents willing to give up their time. We are however having a red hot dip this year!
The kids the DVCA lose is obviously the HDCA's gain. Good luck!

NA*MP;364058 said:
aaron mills, one of the best bottom age bowlers going around ?

NA*MP how are the boys looking this season? How is the new coach fitting in?

NA*MP;364058 said:
aaron mills, one of the best bottom age bowlers going around ?

Yes he was one of the best bowlers in the Under 14 (Blue) comp last season. He can bat well too.

batting allrounder;364189 said:
Yes he was one of the best bowlers in the Under 14 (Blue) comp last season. He can bat well too.

We had a young boy train last night. He is only 14, 1st year under 16's, but one of the fastest 14 years olds I've seen for a while. He currently plays for Preston 3rds. He wants to play 16's in the morning and Seniors in the arvo!
He was fast for me, but I cant see!:D:D

G'day Guys & Gals,
This season BigCricket has decided to offer the DVCA junior sites a chance to become a Top poster.
Those who can tick all the boxes re. constructive feedback / proactive comments/ generating interesting topics, Will be awarded the tag of a Top Poster. Similar to this:

cold case
Top Poster

I will even let you guys pick what you want it to say. So, if we can all scratch our heads and come up with our best slogan, BigCricket will then select the winner. The winner will become our first Top Poster or whatever the winner chooses it to say.
* 1 selection per post please.
* You may have up to 5 selections
* You must make your selection in your specific age group only.
* Your selection cannot be in consecutive posts. You must wait for another selection.

Good Luck CC.

The Wizz;364082 said:
NA*MP how are the boys looking this season? How is the new coach fitting in?

The coach is fiting in really well and preparing us for senior cricket.

Egg;354550 said:
I have a mate playing at Richmond at 3s n 4s he played Falcons 18s 2 years. If he is playing 3s n 4s i don't know how or why this kid would go to Richmond. Also that brandon lee, mill park isnt the only club in mill park he is talking to:)

any of ur falcons 16s players from last season going district this season?

Egg,
i know of a couple, the tall blonde quick dan gilbert is off to Carlton, Tom Gilmore is off to Richmond, Mitch Hand is also off to Carlton and bottom age u/16 keeper from macleod is off to Carlton i think its Goulding? Michael Sanderson is already at Fitz-Don and, your man egg fergie ryder is playing at OP's this year.

Michael Denier is moving to Research this year

Keep Wandering;365028 said:
Egg,
i know of a couple, the tall blonde quick dan gilbert is off to Carlton, Tom Gilmore is off to Richmond, Mitch Hand is also off to Carlton and bottom age u/16 keeper from macleod is off to Carlton i think its Goulding? Michael Sanderson is already at Fitz-Don and, your man egg fergie ryder is playing at OP's this year.

Michael Denier is moving to Research this year

uhmm, no keep wandering, i was speaking to him today, and he said that he is staying at lower eltham, or unless he has changed his mind since then, but i doubt that he didnt.

Back