Eastern Cricket Association 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Eastern Cricket Association 2010/11

from memory, ashburton had a youngish team last year, especially bowlers, and also donvale had plenty of young kids i think, but they arent a worry now they are in A turf

canterbury also had a youngish team also

yer, i think its good.

i would much rather see more 20-26 yo playing than a team filled with washed up premier cricketers like bulleen have been doing for the past few years

Thank god an aggressive statement. I'm totally with you Chaz, I'd much rather see ECA cricket as a stepping stone to premier cricket then a retirement home. I'm looking very forward to having a crack at Porter, Tongue, Wright. Out of curiosity what are the requirements for the Under 21 team, is it club nominated?

Yer it is club nominated but if there are standouts that dont get nominated, they will be found, especially if their performances are high.

Last year they had a shocker, only playing one game but its well worth it, especially if you love your cricket.

the hardest things is that alot of blokes go out on a saturday night, and turn up sunday in no state to play, but thats going to happen with every sunday game!

Would be great to see North Balwyn do well this year, although I fear for them slightly if they are going to be a very young side.
Experienced heads always seem to shine over youth in ECA Cricket.

to be honest i don't rate any of these older players in the eca. Most bowlers are under 23 and if they aren't they are generally slightly overweight work horses (hargraeves) who just bowl a consistent line and length which batsmen are too scared to play at. I find this the most frustrating thing about dunstan, the batsmen are either too sensible or too lazy to have a crack at a full pitched ball outside off stump.
Thoughts?

sorry just to add to that last point. if there are any other young (under 23 bowlers) on this thread. Does it really frustrate you when you get a "name" out and the older guys are really encouraging and almost impressed like they didn't think you could do it???

Isn't that Cricket though? The best bowlers will always be consistant.
It's Park Cricket after all, string some dots together and batters usually do something stupid.
You have to have serious wheels to just run in and blow people away. For instance Furness for Glen Iris last year in A Turf had some wheels on him, but generally got pumped cos he sprayed it.

Terry i totally agree with you. But there is a massive difference between the standard of bats in dunstan and A. A turf you can bowl the ball 6 inches outside off, be the fastest or slowest bowler in the league and you are correct "the batsmen will make a mistake". However, Dunstan is a very different story, they just leave it and play with very little aggression, i'm just not sure if its the mentality of the batsmen or the standard of the bowling. But you don't have to look much further then James Binney and Jono Blanch who took between 50 - 60 wickets between them in A turf in 08/09 and struggled to get 20 between the two of them in Dunstan the following year.
I don't really know what i'm arguing, but i'll make a bold statement and say the quality of bowling is greater then the quality of batting (in terms of reliability) in most top grade dunstan teams.

Drop that topic because theres nothing really to add, when does the fixture get released?

I'm very glad this forum is thriving.

Personally I think the biggest difference between Dunstan and A Turf is depth.
You will still find good players in A Turf, but there are fewer of them in each team. Makes it a bit harder to knock a team over when there are good players coming in at 6/7/8. Also over 80 overs there will always be a change bowler you can get after. For me that is the main difference.
Also, you probably have better umpires in A Turf, because in Dunstan they are all up themselves and think they are doing an amazing job!
No idea when the fixtures come out.....hopefully soon.

I feel i have to publicise the fact that deepdene are the wort blokes in ECA cricket without doubt. thoughts?

Parsons is an arrogant cheat. The only good bloke in that team is the captain, the rest of them are hopeless muppets (gartner).

As an opening batsmen from last season in dustan and playing some games in A turf the season before, have to say there is definately a difference in the standard of bowling between the 2 grades as expected.

In dustan the bowlers either do a little bit more with the ball either in the air or off the deck, or are a yard sharper. Both these factors lead to it being harder to bat as you can't get away with some of the mistakes you could in A turf.

Also there aren't so many of those mediums in the middle overs that you were able to go after, meaning concentration is a much more values skill.

One thing that does annoy me in general which is anotehr topic that I think needs to be raised is the lack of use of spin bowlers in ECA cricket. I know this is a trend that has gone through cricket as a whole but especially at lower levels idunstan i still think there is value isn bowling a spinner to either restrict the scoring and build pressure, or to remove the tail cheaply. Thoughts??

sorry Terry, it got a little out of hand. On the topic of spin bowlers in ECA i think the reason they aren't used so much is because clubs generally feel it's more beneficial to have a part time spinner for the extra bat???
I can't think of any teams off the top of my head that had a quality spin bowler, based on the quality of the decks you'd think it would be employed more frequently.

Re: Eastern Cricket Association

Terry_Tibbs;405441 said:
Bulleen have got Kerry Tsonis as coach from North Melbourne, and Scott Porter from North Melbourne.

North Balwyn have a couple of English guys. Stuart Cope who played at Donvale last year, and a younger guy called Rob Keogh who is meant to be a steady off spinner.

Boronia have got Ben Stallworthy has captain/coach, he played a bit of Premier Cricket.

Andrew Male should return to Burwood's line up after missing last season with a back problem.

Think that's all I know.

Bulleen the last few years have picked up blokes from North Melbourne, but you see North Melbourne over the last 5 years they have been struggling down the bottom. So don't presume that these players have played premier cricket it doesn't mean they will destroy the competition. If reputations won games Bulleen would of won Dunstan by now.

Stallworthy is one of the worst players to play premier cricket

Also Neil Baker has been the best import in the competition over the last 10 years.

indignant_toad;406204 said:
Parsons is an arrogant cheat. The only good bloke in that team is the captain, the rest of them are hopeless muppets (gartner).

Your just jealous that parsons has more ability in his little finger than you have in your entire body.

There certainly is a lack of spin used in ECA Cricket. A total lack of quality spin since Danny O'Shea left Deepdene for Northcote, with the notable exception of Paul Byrne for Ashburton last year.
A young slow left armer of note is Morrey from Ashwood who bowled pretty well last year.

Fuzzbungle you are right Neil Baker has been an excellent performer with the bat and gloves for North Balwyn and Burwood. However he is rather fond of the Harp's Parma!

Terry_Tibbs;406230 said:
There certainly is a lack of spin used in ECA Cricket. A total lack of quality spin since Danny O'Shea left Deepdene for Northcote, with the notable exception of Paul Byrne for Ashburton last year.
A young slow left armer of note is Morrey from Ashwood who bowled pretty well last year.

Fuzzbungle you are right Neil Baker has been an excellent performer with the bat and gloves for North Balwyn and Burwood. However he is rather fond of the Harp's Parma!

Your not wrong Terry, in Baker's 3 seasons in the ECA he has hit 500+ runs every season he has played. Also brilliant behind the stumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back