Eca 2011/2012

I think that playing on a poor wicket means lower scores and therefore means there is more chance of an upset, because it brings the luck of a shooter or a popping ball dismissing a batsman etc. Also, on a poor wicket heaves across the line are more effective than a beautiful cover drive, and a lucky 20 of slogs and edges can win a game of 100 v 100.

However I don't particularly feel this was the case on Saturday.

Oh hard luck to Ashwood getting rolled for 44 v Heathmont. Back to the nets boys!

Totally agree. I guess I was just making a point that sometimes the gun sides are too quick to blame the pitch when they are rolled by a lesser regarded team that simply outplayed them on the day.

I don't think Ashburton could blame the pitch on the weekend. Skevs changerooms aren't much chop, but the pitch usually plays pretty well. Its a big ground with a slow outfield so scores around 100 are usually worth 130-140odd.

It's great to see some written off teams mixing it up in Round 1. It will remain to be seen if these sides can maintain this level during the rest of the season, but good on them for improving the comp as a whole.

The pitch that we played had a very healthy green tinge. As it turned out the deck changed colours to a fairly normal pitch colour of greyish/green after about 20-30 minutes. Although in the initial 20-30 minute period, the ball did do a lot, although at the time, the conditions were overcast.

Also, can anybody tell me how old Danny O'Shea is (and possibly where he played juniours at)? From what was said on the forum, it sounded like he was a bowler; opening the batting and scoring 82 is pretty dam handy.

I had a chuckle at Heathmont's percentage. I am assuming that a team has to have lost a wicket to have a percentage, is this correct?

I am also interested in everybody's opinion of how GI will travel in their 2's this year? I am not sure whether they won the granny in B turf of came runner up, but one would assume that they are going to struggle this year in A turf. Is is normal for teams in Dunston who have their 2's promoted from B turf to A turf to struggle?

I think it will be a huge ask for Glen Iris to be competitive in A Turf. The ECA wanted A Turf to be 1st Xl's, but Richmond Union were so bad it just became a joke.

The pitch that we played had a very healthy green tinge. As it turned out the deck changed colours to a fairly normal pitch colour of greyish/green after about 20-30 minutes. Although in the initial 20-30 minute period, the ball did do a lot, although at the time, the conditions were overcast.

Also, can anybody tell me how old Danny O'Shea is (and possibly where he played juniours at)? From what was said on the forum, it sounded like he was a bowler; opening the batting and scoring 82 is pretty dam handy.

I had a chuckle at Heathmont's percentage. I am assuming that a team has to have lost a wicket to have a percentage, is this correct?

I am also interested in everybody's opinion of how GI will travel in their 2's this year? I am not sure whether they won the granny in B turf of came runner up, but one would assume that they are going to struggle this year in A turf. Is is normal for teams in Dunston who have their 2's promoted from B turf to A turf to struggle?

I think they will probably finish mid table... The A Turf comp falls away quite quickly after the top 6 or so sides so they should be able to compete with some of the lesser teams. They did win the B Turf flag against st kevs last year. Both sides were asked to go up at the expense of Richmond Union and St Barnabas, but st kevs declined the offer.

The ECA was trying to create a 2nd Division 1st XI comp in the A Turf over the last few years. It's great in theory, but some clubs 1's just simply aren't at A Turf level and end up languishing at the bottom of the ladder year after year. The B Turf seems to have the same few sides finishing around the top every year and most of these sides are Dunstan clubs so should be able to compete with most of the A Turf sides.

The ECA have tried not to have 2nds teams in A turf for about 3 seasons but after Rich Union finished bottom 2 years in a row they didn't have much choice. Mulgrave and Ashy 2nds used go alright a few years ago. I think Mulrave might have even won Dunstan and A turf one year. It will be interesting, I think you might be right, GI may struggle with their 2s in A turf. Also interesting to see how Rich Union go in B turf against everyone elses' 2s. Shouldn't be able to celebrate a premiership if they win. It would be a premiership for being crap.

Totally agree. I guess I was just making a point that sometimes the gun sides are too quick to blame the pitch when they are rolled by a lesser regarded team that simply outplayed them on the day.

I don't think Ashburton could blame the pitch on the weekend. Skevs changerooms aren't much chop, but the pitch usually plays pretty well. Its a big ground with a slow outfield so scores around 100 are usually worth 130-140odd.

It's great to see some written off teams mixing it up in Round 1. It will remain to be seen if these sides can maintain this level during the rest of the season, but good on them for improving the comp as a whole.

Couldn't agree more. Not only were some sides written off but some clubs were too. One such written off club had all 5 of their sides win. Not bad from a club that got wound up at a meeting lasst week.

Couldn't agree more. Not only were some sides written off but some clubs were too. One such written off club had all 5 of their sides win. Not bad from a club that got wound up at a meeting lasst week.

Yeah not quite sure what Reg was smoking last week.....but I want some!

The ECA have tried not to have 2nds teams in A turf for about 3 seasons but after Rich Union finished bottom 2 years in a row they didn't have much choice. Mulgrave and Ashy 2nds used go alright a few years ago. I think Mulrave might have even won Dunstan and A turf one year. It will be interesting, I think you might be right, GI may struggle with their 2s in A turf. Also interesting to see how Rich Union go in B turf against everyone elses' 2s. Shouldn't be able to celebrate a premiership if they win. It would be a premiership for being crap.

Over the last 2-3 years, the best B Turf sides have actually been from clubs that aren't traditionally strong Dunstan teams (Mazenod, East Donny, St Kevs, GI). It seems that these are the clubs that have a really good death of good-average players that can interchage between 1's and 2's through the year, but not the stars (or cash) that the strong Dunstan clubs have.

I might be reading into this a little too much, but clubs that seem to bring in "star" recruits on cash every year that come and go, seem to be the clubs that have the biggest disparity between their 1's and 2's, both in culture and results. Ashy's 2's were relgated to C Turf, deepdene 2's always finish near the bottom, MA 2's have struggled in recent years... The only one who breaks this mould is Mulgrave who always turn out a strong 2's side.

Interesting result in the deepdene game with parsons tonning up and the next highest scorer being the extras column with 15.
I know it's only early days but going by the first rounds results could be a pretty even season

Danny played at Deepdene Bears dominating C grade Under 14 where he was a huge fish in a very small pond.
He was always a very handy batsmen batting in the middle order at Deepdene whilst predominately being a bowler. At Northcote he was a premier spinner and handy lower order hitter. I suspect in A Turf he will be 60% bolwer 40% batter if that makes sense.

Good luck to Glen Iris in A Turf. Like the way they go about it and have developed and evolved as a club but I think it will be a HUGE task in A Turf and they will be bottom 4 for sure.

In the drawn game in Dunstan on Saturday, the signed scorebook reads "RESULT IN DISPUTE"

Whilst I can sympathise with the odd player/scorer error of a run here or there, you can't excuse and additional 11 runs being added to the home team's score. How can this happen in D Synthetic let alone Dunstan??? It has clearly affected the result. There will have to be an investigation.

I think it is high time that he ECA spilt into a West and East Conference.

What sense is there in Richmond and Heathmont playing in the same competition (and this is one of several such stupid examples).

If the ECA is fair dinkum about getting numbers back to the game, here's an easy suggestion to fix it - reduce travel time to games by half an hour each week.

I will be umpring this week at Surrey Park. Brown paper bags with money enclosed can be left on the front seat of my car when I go out and undertake my first pitch inspection of the day at approx 11:20am. Thanks in advance.

What sense is there in Richmond and Heathmont playing in the same competition (and this is one of several such stupid examples).

If the ECA is fair dinkum about getting numbers back to the game, here's an easy suggestion to fix it - reduce travel time to games by half an hour each week.

Interesting point, but feel it could only be done from B Turf down. Otherwise the standard of the competition would suffer.

In the drawn game in Dunstan on Saturday, the signed scorebook reads "RESULT IN DISPUTE"

Whilst I can sympathise with the odd player/scorer error of a run here or there, you can't excuse and additional 11 runs being added to the home team's score. How can this happen in D Synthetic let alone Dunstan??? It has clearly affected the result. There will have to be an investigation.

Law 3.15 states....15. Correctness of scores
Consultation between umpires and scorers on doubtful points is essential. The umpires shall, throughout the match, satisfy themselves as to the correctness of the number of runs scored, the wickets that have fallen and, where appropriate, the number of overs bowled..
Umpires should really keep a running total of the score.

Is anyone really surprised that there is yet another controversy involving Deepdene?

Parsons has set the tone early to do a roll similar to Chris Judd. Looks like a strong batting line up behind him...

Is anyone really surprised that there is yet another controversy involving Deepdene?

Parsons has set the tone early to do a roll similar to Chris Judd. Looks like a strong batting line up behind him...

Wasn't the tie between Glen Iris and Marcellin?

I don't think this is really an issue, in the top grades anyway. Anyone who is playing Dunstan/A Turf and is committed to a club and serious about their cricket, really shouldn't be bothered by a half an hour drive to get to a ground. It really only happens once or twice a season where you play away to a team a little further out from the city, so to change the whole competition for a couple of lazy players doesn't seem right to me.

I will be umpring this week at Surrey Park. Brown paper bags with money enclosed can be left on the front seat of my car when I go out and undertake my first pitch inspection of the day at approx 11:20am. Thanks in advance.

Love it! I only hope you are serious.

Back