Eca 2011/2012

10 punters - Terry, Rozza, Woodstock, Damien, GolfClub, Harsh, prospector, lewis j, xxxx, reg
Glen Iris (10) v Marcellin (0)
Boronia (3) v Deepdene (7)
Mulgrave (6) v Mont Albert(4)
St Kevins(1) v Ashburton(9)
Bulleen(9) v Rich City(1)
Hawthorn(8) v Easy Donny(1) - lewis picked both. must be tipping a tie.

10 punters - Terry, Rozza, Woodstock, Damien, GolfClub, Harsh, prospector, lewis j, xxxx, reg
Glen Iris (10) v Marcellin (0)
Boronia (3) v Deepdene (7)
Mulgrave (6) v Mont Albert(4)
St Kevins(1) v Ashburton(9)
Bulleen(9) v Rich City(1)
Hawthorn(8) v Easy Donny(1) - lewis picked both. must be tipping a tie.

I will get involved in this aswell:

Glen Iris v Marcellin
Boronia v Deepdene
Mulgrave v Mont Albert
St Kevins v Ashburton
Bulleen v Richmond City
Hawthorn v East Doncaster

plenty of upsets. looks like marcellin are no push overs either.
scores
Terry - 3
Rozza - 3
Harsh - 3
prospector - 3
lewis j - 3
xxxx - 3
Woodstock - 2
Damien - 2
GolfClub - 2
reg - 2
bob - 3

Don't read too much into 1day results in October. With under prepared wickets, anything can happen...and will.
While the season is long, everybody knows that point before Christmas are vital for finals berths. I heard there was a hattrick against bulleen from the big wooly fella. I've heard he can throw em down when he wants to.

Don't read too much into 1day results in October. With under prepared wickets, anything can happen...and will.
I wouldn't have thought under prepared wickets would have anything to do with East Donny and Rich City batting first and defending good scores or marcellin chasing 187 for a tie. Maybe more of a factor in Ashy v st Kevs but Ashy did win the toss by the looks of it. Well done St Kevs. You outer East blokes keep living in your insular bubble and keep thinking the only way to have success in Dunstan is to buy ex district blokes. I think Skitso is more on the money.

I guess the most surprising thing to happen in your eyes Reg was that Richmond City played, and won, after your insistance that they were going to fold last week!?

Dunstan looks a very even comp this year. Should be great fun.

I don't think it has anything to do with unprepared wickets... Even if the wickets are a bit dicey, it is the same for both sides. You would also think that the sides with better quality players would be better equiped (technique wise) to handle or exploit difficult conditions. If "favorites" were beaten on the weekend, it's because a better team won on the day and nothing else.
Game on for the season!

I don't think it has anything to do with unprepared wickets... Even if the wickets are a bit dicey, it is the same for both sides. You would also think that the sides with better quality players would be better equiped (technique wise) to handle or exploit difficult conditions. If "favorites" were beaten on the weekend, it's because a better team won on the day and nothing else.
Game on for the season!

I think that playing on a poor wicket means lower scores and therefore means there is more chance of an upset, because it brings the luck of a shooter or a popping ball dismissing a batsman etc. Also, on a poor wicket heaves across the line are more effective than a beautiful cover drive, and a lucky 20 of slogs and edges can win a game of 100 v 100.

However I don't particularly feel this was the case on Saturday.

Oh hard luck to Ashwood getting rolled for 44 v Heathmont. Back to the nets boys!

I think that playing on a poor wicket means lower scores and therefore means there is more chance of an upset, because it brings the luck of a shooter or a popping ball dismissing a batsman etc. Also, on a poor wicket heaves across the line are more effective than a beautiful cover drive, and a lucky 20 of slogs and edges can win a game of 100 v 100.

However I don't particularly feel this was the case on Saturday.

Oh hard luck to Ashwood getting rolled for 44 v Heathmont. Back to the nets boys!

I would agree that generally poor wickets (like a wet day in footy) can close the gap between sides. And also makes the toss quite important as wickets can flatten out through the day but as I said in a previous post this is not necessarily true especially when bigger scores are made. And doesn't seem to be the case on the weekend.

I was a bit surprised at Marcellin's great effort. I know they lost Luke Baker who was a good bat for them last season and Dineen was reported injured so well done to them. They must have grabbed some new players or the young players they have been nurturing have played well. None of the other results surprised me that much. Maybe St Kevs a bit but I knew even last year they could beat anyone on their day.

I think we can safely say there won't be any easy games in Dunstan and if you take a side too easily you will get rolled. Should be a fantastic even season.

Final scores for tipping comp after round 1

Terry - 3
Rozza - 3
Harsh - 3
prospector - 3
lewis j - 3
xxxx - 3
bob - 3
Woodstock - 2
Damien - 2
GolfClub - 2
reg - 2
skitso - 1

The pitch that we played had a very healthy green tinge. As it turned out the deck changed colours to a fairly normal pitch colour of greyish/green after about 20-30 minutes. Although in the initial 20-30 minute period, the ball did do a lot, although at the time, the conditions were overcast.

Also, can anybody tell me how old Danny O'Shea is (and possibly where he played juniours at)? From what was said on the forum, it sounded like he was a bowler; opening the batting and scoring 82 is pretty dam handy.

I had a chuckle at Heathmont's percentage. I am assuming that a team has to have lost a wicket to have a percentage, is this correct?

I am also interested in everybody's opinion of how GI will travel in their 2's this year? I am not sure whether they won the granny in B turf of came runner up, but one would assume that they are going to struggle this year in A turf. Is is normal for teams in Dunston who have their 2's promoted from B turf to A turf to struggle?

Back