Eca 2012/13

Surrey V Mully - Mully in good form, Young guy to make runs, Mason?
Boronia V NB - NB to bounce back after a shocker, Pom runs (Lee).
Mont A V SKEVs - MA proving too strong, batting well, Wright/Vance runs
Hawthorn V Deepdene - Deepdene in ok form, Parsons to thrive. Hawks to miss finals
East Donni V Marcellin - Surely Dale will do something other than bowl 20 overs 2-50.
Ashy V GI - huge game. Think Ashy will get the job done, Cox in form..

Will then Have MA, GI, AShy and Mulg in the 4. Very interesting times!!

Can StK get another 9 runs to take scalp of MA & keep finals chance alive?
What was the go with the pitch? 18 wkts in a day?

Boronia will get the win & make it a massive last rd with potentially 4 bottom sides on 15!

GI will find it very tough to chase 300 next week, are wheels slowly coming loose??

Ventured out to Donvale for the T20 semi finals yesterday, and the news isn't good for this forum - both Dunstan teams beaten!

I missed the start of the first game, arriving just in time to see Dean Day burnt by his brother, lots of bat waving ensued. Edinburgh bowled and fielded well, using lots of slow bowlers and relying on their outfielders to hold catches and cut off boundaries. Mully ended up with 115, but with Ash Shaw taking the new ball they appeared pretty confident. This didn't last long though, with the Borough cruising to 50ish in the first 8 overs, and Mully looking disheartened. They staged a momentary fight back, taking a couple of wickets in quick succession, but the winning runs were made against the orthodox off spin of Shaw (shawly one of the other nine blokes would have been a better choice, or he could have bowled his quicks?) in the 16th over. Edinburgh batted really intelligently, not taking any unnecessary risks on their way to a comfortable win; a pretty good effort from a synthetic team playing on a turf wicket I think.

Heathmont won the second game, which was played in a totally different fashion to the first. I haven't seen much of Heathmont over the years, but they have some big boys, who hit some very long balls (including one strike over mid wicket and on to the Donvale pavilion roof!). They did look well on the way to 175+, but some good bowling from their skipper, and some good outfield catching held them to 148, certainly a gettable total on a good deck and a quick outfield. Hawthorn started slowly, before Ancher and Strauch got things moving along in the second five and Heathmont started to look shaky. This was when they pulled their trump card though, a left armer who appeared to bowl very rapidly, so rapidly in fact that the umpire failed to note that the ball both pitched outside leg, and was too high, in giving Ancher out LBW. I've checked this bowler's (it has to be Ben Morris, and he never takes the new ball) stats, and am surprised to see that he hasn't taken many wickets in A Turf. From this point, Hawthorn were never really in it because it was Ancher who was striking the ball well, but they still did well to get to 138 and at least keep things exciting through to the final over. I was quite impressed with Baker, who hasn't played much cricket in their 1st XI this season, but got 30ish not out.

The GF will be an interesting game between two totally different line-ups, but Heathmont's big hitters might cause a bit too much carnage against Edinburgh's slow bowlers, especially if their two U/21 players come back in (presuming that they missed due to the rep game promoted on the ECA website?).

Great update !! Nice work ECA watcher . The Heathmont bowler you refer to is Ben Morris and he is as quick as anything going around in Dunstan at the moment .

Great report, sounds like it was a successful day out at Donvale. Should be a good final!

Great to see that the season is still well and truly alive at both ends of the scale.

1st and 2nd struggling as well as the bottom teams proving their season isn't over yet.

Who got the runs for Mul & AW and also, wickets at SKOB and Boronia?

Mulgrave batted quite poorly actually in my opinion. Edinburgh's pom looked pretty classy!

Does anyone think Heathmont will be a threat in Dunstan next season? They have cleaned up every side this year by the looks of it, but with McCann, Freeman and the Gibson brothers still playing surely they will go straight back down?

Mulgrave batted quite poorly actually in my opinion. Edinburgh's pom looked pretty classy!

Does anyone think Heathmont will be a threat in Dunstan next season? They have cleaned up every side this year by the looks of it, but with McCann, Freeman and the Gibson brothers still playing surely they will go straight back down?

Agree somewhat, but from 3/30 after six overs, Mulgrave were always up against it. They never appeared to really chase boundaries, or change things up though, so I take your point. I presume the pom was one of their openers? They both played some really nice shots.

Heathmont struck me as the type of team who will bully weak teams, but struggle to compete in 80 over games against teams who are happy to tough it out? I'm very interested in someone explaining why Morris bowls so little, though, especially considering their other bowlers appear to be trundlers (not saying they're bad bowlers, just that someone with genuine wheels is always going to prove a handful for all but the best batsmen).

-------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of the Dunstan games, their will be some very nervous boys rolling up next Saturday! I'd love to watch the first five overs of the MA v SKOB game; will the curator be given the week off?! SKOB with HEAPS to play for will get over the line I think...

Bears would love to knock off Hawthorn and put their finals spot in jeopardy, but I think the Hawks will do enough to chase down 190.

Mulgrave shouldn't have any problems defending 270odd, and will be chasing a bit of a % boost if possible.

Boronia look home against NB, which is disappointing as I think NB are the more likely to get their act together and be a club that challenges in Dunstan long term. Plus, I think Boronia is full of v ordinary blokes!

Marcellin should defend 230 against ED, who have been all at sea since Christmas.

Ashy have set a huge total in what could be a preview of the 1st semi final, and GI will be keen to put their best foot forward.

Ben Morris may bowl quick but if if is hit early can drop his bundle and is very suspect to short pitch bowling when its his turn to get in behind it.

Just as many good players in a grade as dunstan. Just not seen enough. Look at mycricket champ.
Looking at the top players in the comp statistically, Porter is the only one that i know of. Do you know anything about McCann, Powick, Sheldon, Skeen, Gerhard, Hillas?

Agree somewhat, but from 3/30 after six overs, Mulgrave were always up against it. They never appeared to really chase boundaries, or change things up though, so I take your point. I presume the pom was one of their openers? They both played some really nice shots.

Heathmont struck me as the type of team who will bully weak teams, but struggle to compete in 80 over games against teams who are happy to tough it out? I'm very interested in someone explaining why Morris bowls so little, though, especially considering their other bowlers appear to be trundlers (not saying they're bad bowlers, just that someone with genuine wheels is always going to prove a handful for all but the best batsmen).

In terms of the Dunstan games, their will be some very nervous boys rolling up next Saturday! I'd love to watch the first five overs of the MA v SKOB game; will the curator be given the week off?! SKOB with HEAPS to play for will get over the line I think...

Bears would love to knock off Hawthorn and put their finals spot in jeopardy, but I think the Hawks will do enough to chase down 190.

Mulgrave shouldn't have any problems defending 270odd, and will be chasing a bit of a % boost if possible.

Boronia look home against NB, which is disappointing as I think NB are the more likely to get their act together and be a club that challenges in Dunstan long term. Plus, I think Boronia is full of v ordinary blokes!

Marcellin should defend 230 against ED, who have been all at sea since Christmas.

Ashy have set a huge total in what could be a preview of the 1st semi final, and GI will be keen to put their best foot forward.

I'll tip MA to get the job done, 2 wickets in 8 runs with 2 tail enders in and MA's pom to rattle them early next week.

I think DB might go close to defending 190, especially with 1 in the shed already after 2 overs. Haw have been known to cough up finals spots in the past.

Mulgrave could get a good % boost and jump about Haw and even AW.

Boronia will win. Don't know why you think NB will be a club that challenges in the long term....not much evidence of any ticker or talent down there. Binney or nothing.

ED to get the runs with Thompson and Crowley to get a big score.

GI can never be out of the game with their pom to bat, anything could happen, but 300 is an intimidating score for any team.

Looking at the top players in the comp statistically, Porter is the only one that i know of. Do you know anything about McCann, Powick, Sheldon, Skeen, Gerhard, Hillas?
McCann is an older bloke, bowls slow swingers. Powick is 50 but still one of the best bats going around. Sheldon is an off spinning all rounder. Hides himself at 6/7 and bowls heaps. Skeen is a young quick. Gerhard is the David Warner of A Turf. Hillas is from North Melbourne. Classy all rounder

Hey, settle down "ECA Watcher" , there is a lot of flogs and "ordinary blokes" playing in most of the Dunstan teams in general mate and not limited to just a few clubs either. We all know that and witness it regularly. Its just that some clubs have an abundance of them naturally embedded throughout their clubs , hence supported really well by a lot of armchair critics in this forum.
As soon as a club (ANY) tries to be a bit too competitive on the field, and shows a bit of ticker or fightback, they're typecast as "flogs" or "ordinary blokes" - pffftttt !!!!!

McCann is an older bloke, bowls slow swingers. Powick is 50 but still one of the best bats going around. Sheldon is an off spinning all rounder. Hides himself at 6/7 and bowls heaps. Skeen is a young quick. Gerhard is the David Warner of A Turf. Hillas is from North Melbourne. Classy all rounder
Thats just the info i was after, thanks!

I'm not sure that it's the intent to be competitive that brands one as a flog. Perhaps it is the methods taken to be competetitive that helps one to cross the flog threshold. Who knows?

We all try our best on the field. Some also try to be jovial and have a bit of fun while we're at it. Others prefer the agressive way. Much a muchness to me as long as we can have a good old chat and laugh off the field.

So who are the new favourites to fill the top 4 and who is now in line for a trip to A grade where they wont be spoken of again until they manage to force their way back up to Dunstan to replace whomever the comp decides is not quite up to snuff?

Not much is certain and there is plenty still to play for.

And what of the T20 final - anyone going along? I might mingle in the crowd and see if I can guess who might be who. ECA watcher is the bloke taking notes perhaps?

Hey, settle down "ECA Watcher" , there is a lot of flogs and "ordinary blokes" playing in most of the Dunstan teams in general mate and not limited to just a few clubs either. We all know that and witness it regularly. Its just that some clubs have an abundance of them naturally embedded throughout their clubs , hence supported really well by a lot of armchair critics in this forum.
As soon as a club (ANY) tries to be a bit too competitive on the field, and shows a bit of ticker or fightback, they're typecast as "flogs" or "ordinary blokes" - pffftttt !!!!!

Glad to see you defending your teammates " The Kop " . BUT unfortunately you are defending the undefendable. As 99% of the forum users would testify to Boronia do have more than their fair share of ordinary blokes. And they are led by THE Most ordinary bloke in the comp - which may influence some of the younger blokes to think thats normal.

Theres a clear difference between 'competitive' & 'flog' and the way Boronia go about it tends to the latter.

Wearing slacks and shoes to the game doesnt help the image either. - that needs to be saved for your next court appearance

There is two types of competitive:
1. The type that happens between balls, but is completely forgotten when a boundary is struck or a wicket is taken
2. The type that continues on after any sort of victory, moral or otherwise.

In my experience, Boronia are full of blokes who have plenty of "fight" when the game is on their terms, but as soon as the opposition has a crack back they go crying to the umpires about how hardly done by they are. The type of competitive that I like is when a bowler and a batsman go head to head like wounded bulls, but if a boundary is hit, the bowler will acknowledge the good shot, and if the bat gets out, no ridiculous send off will occur. I'll admit that in my career I've made mistakes, given send off's that were too exuberant and waved my bat at bowlers who I thought had slighted me, but I reckon I saw more of that type of bullshit in three games I've seen Boronia play in the past couple of years than I've seen in all other games combined.

Back