Essentials for a club cricket's kit

mattshin13

Essentials for a club cricket's kit

Hey,

i am a new club cricketer and i am wondering if anyone has advice on buying my own gear. is it worth buying my own gear or using the clubs gear? i have a budget for around 300.

Re: Essentials for a club cricket's kit

Before spending cash ask yourself this - "How likely is it that I'll still be playing in 3/4/5 years time?". There are countless people who have taken up the game, dropped a few hundred quid on kit and then sold it a year later after only using it 2/3 times.

If you're really new to the game then use the club kit for a little while. Once you're sure you're going to stick at it look to get your own kit. Even then I wouldn't go mad and just get the essentials of bat, pads, gloves and thigh pad.

One bit of kit I would advise buying from the start though is a box!

i have been playing for a while as a junior and i just moved into the seniors this year... so i guess i just love the game.

i am a bowler, so i guess i should get a kashmir bat? i bat down the order.

also with leg pads and gloves, how much of a good quality protective equipment should i buy.

and with the other pads like chest, thigh, inner thigh and arm guards, which do you think are most essential for me.

i am currently in melbourne for a while, so where are the good places to buy cricket equipment for a cheap price?

Always get a good as bat as you can afford. Kashmir willow has its uses but you're better off getting a lower grade English willow bat; it should last longer thus saving you money in the longer term.

With regards to pads and gloves, you get what you pay for to be honest. Gloves, I'm guessing anything around $70 will do, pads probably around $100. Again, get what you can afford but don't get too hung up on it.

WIth regards to other pads, personally, I just have a thigh pad (well, an all in one system) and occasionally an arm guard. It all depends on what level you reckon you'll be playing at but a thigh pad is the minimum really.

You missed out on the cricket warehouse sale held at the beginning of each season, some good bargains on what I imagine are last season models

You can get away with gloves for 20-30 and Pads for under 50 that do the job if you only batting low in the order but its often about what feels most comfortable for you, I cant stand the big thick gloves so go for the cheaper ones because they are more comfortable, probably why I have to wear inners but its comfortable for me

I was going to say ebay but you're in Australia, it's different here there's 68 million of us in a patch of land the size of your backyard so there's shed loads of stuff coming up for sale and 9 times out of 10 cos we live in a sqatty little rain soaked backyard we can just drive and fetch the stuff. Still you can feel good about living in such a fantastic country to console yourself. I'll just sit here in the freezing cold drizzle with my ebay.

On a more constructive note though I've a couple of Kashmir Willow bats and I bat at No.10 and they're fine.

I like GCCC but others dont, Saxon Sports is another good one depending on where in Melbourne you are

Gloves ,box ,thigh guard , pads and helmet could almost always be bought form rebel sport, mybe not pads depending on if you dont want to feel ball on bone through the pad

Bat i would say look at getting English willow, better re sale and will give you better use

I would reccomend shopping around, trying to get things on special, but the club cricket essential items are: pads, gloves, inners, thighguard. Seeing as you are starting, a helmet would be advised, as you may get a few boncers, although this is not essential, it will teach you how to hook & or duck quickly if you dont! as far as bats go, i would recommend Sommers bats, used by people like Michael Bevan, but a lot of tailenders use them like McGrath and Gillespie. They are fairly cheap, being made in australia, and the one i have is very light but very thick as well.

Back