Facing Dale Steyn

Ever wondered what it is like to face Dale Steyn?

Now you don't have to wonder, this GoPro footage shows how quick he is.

Is there any of you guys out there ever used a GoPro?
My Son has one on his Christmas list purely for cricketing purposes.

Ever wondered what it is like to face Dale Steyn?

Now you don't have to wonder, this GoPro footage shows how quick he is.

Is there any of you guys out there ever used a GoPro?
My Son has one on his Christmas list purely for cricketing purposes.

The field of view in this footage is wide angle which is nothing like what the human eye sees, so it distorts the perspective and makes the delivery look far more dramatic. I'm not disputing that Steyn isn't fast, it's obvious that he is fast... one of the fastest, but, it would look very different if shot with a focal length that was more like the human eye. If I video myself with a wide angle lens it always looks so much better/faster/dynamic in comparison with the same deliveries using a longer focal length - they look almost pedestrian in comparison.

Someone on BF said they won a comp or something to face a young Brett Lee, think they said something like he successfully drove the first one, but the second they didn't even pick up and just heard it crashing into the back of the nets.

As a biomechanist and video analyst, I use many cameras Steve and I have used GoPro for professional/elite athletes. Sales have not been great resulting in a significant dip on Wall Street; dropping almost 60% this year with fears of competition. The price has come down in the last quarter and may come down more but the Christmas period is not looking hopeful for GoPro. However, for a virtually non-destructive camera it is a good gadget.

I have not used GoPro with cricket and cannot see how wearable technology would help, other than for the huge fun element. If money is no object then go for it but if it is, think about what you and/or Tom want to achieve then search the technology for the purpose... not the other way around.

I hope that helps.

Back