Fielding uniform?

DoubleO7

Fielding uniform?

I was watching an official cricket match between two locals sides this afternoon and to my surprise one of the bowlers was wearing shorts.

Is this allowed? What is the guideline regarding garments extending from the waist and below when fielding/bowling?

*Please move this into the proper forum if it is not in it already

Re: Fielding uniform?

As far I'm aware there is no provision in the rules when it comes to clothing; I'm not sure if there are even any remarks with regards to what colour kit has to be. Plenty about logos and advertising but not about the actual kit.

So, with this in mind, I would hazard a guess and say that kit is likely to be covered by the individual competition rules. It's likely to be something that changes from league to league.

Personally, I can't see any major issue with someone wearing shorts, as long as the opposing captain/umpires have no problem with it. as long as they were white (or in keeping in the colour specified for the competition) then it shouldn't cause any problems. Although I have said that I see no major issue with it, if a member of my team wanted to wear shorts then it'd be a no. Of course, emergencies do happen (player forgot to put trousers in kit bag or drafting someone in at the last minute for example) and it would only be in these circumstances that I'd compromise.

Women traditionally played in skirts; only changing to trousers in recent years, so in this sense there is a precedent (albeit slightly tenuous).

I'm pretty sure in that they trialled allowing the use of shorts at state level in Australia in the late 90s but it didn't prove to be popular.

DoubleO7;330505 said:
This bowler was wearing black/dark navy shorts while everyone else where wearing white pants.

That changes it slightly but again, as long as every one was in agreement than there is no real problem. Like I said, it may have been that he was drafted in at the last minute and had no kit etc.

Trousers only became the norm because it was the done thing in England when cricket was becoming popular and I guess it just became accepted. Plus it helps when diving/sliding for the ball (although this was uncommon until the last 30 years). Apart from that, there is no real reason as to why they are worn over shorts.

as from my recent umpiring course, as long as the two captains are ok with it then anything is possible!

There is nothing in the Laws about it as far as I know.

There is a well known phenomenon in club cricket round here that states: "Beware the player in black shorts, black trainers or with black tape on his bat".

He is pretty much always a gun.

Back