First Class Cricketers GCC/GCA/BPCA has developed

First Class Cricketers GCC/GCA/BPCA has developed

Thought i would start a thread on Cricketers that have come through the ranks in the GCA/ BPCA and Geelong cricket club to go onto greater things

Re: First Class Cricketers GCC/GCA/BPCA has developed

Dinosaur_Maroon&Blue;278214 said:
Thought i would start a thread on Cricketers that have come through the ranks in the GCA/ BPCA and Geelong cricket club to go onto greater things

i'll start off with stating the obvious.. ian redpath :D
who else from geelong played for australia?

I heard a rumour once, which I don't believe for a second, but you could confirm, Badger:

Geraint Jones once played a game for Guild (As in, one solitary game)

a for effort;278220 said:
I heard a rumour once, which I don't believe for a second, but you could confirm, Badger:

news to me.. i came from st mary's, not guild. but i'll ask around at training tomorrow.
fark, imagine him coming in at number 3 against sth barwon on sunday! haha. he'd probably block out the 20 overs :mad:

a for effort;278220 said:

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Geraint Jones

Could of been the Papa New Guniean Guilders or even the infamous Harrison State Guilders :D

Badger with a 20/20 100 + strike rate at County level i doubt he'd have much trouble smashing the swans around.

I think from memory the Holliokes played at North Shore. will look into and get back to you.

Edit: Cant find any evidence, heard a rumour years ago.

Dinosaur_Maroon&Blue;278231 said:
I think from memory the Holliokes played at North Shore. will look into and get back to you.

my dad told me a story about him opening the batting for st mary's and facing ben, but not adam. or was the other way around..
and sonny desilva played in the gca too.. maybe for north shore as well?

adam holliokes played cricket in wa

thommy_rissole;278230 said:
Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Geraint Jones

Could of been the Papa New Guniean Guilders or even the infamous Harrison State Guilders :D

Badger with a 20/20 100 + strike rate at County level i doubt he'd have much trouble smashing the swans around.

I used to play club cricket with Geraint, watched him smash near enough 200 in a 16 over game.

Saying that, as decent a bat as he was, never thought he'd play for England though, not least in that he was our overseas at the time,

Dinosaur_Maroon&Blue;278214 said:

What ever happened to Ben Oliver and Tim Anderson?
Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Tim Anderson
Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Ben Oliver

Former Grovedale Tiger Jason Bakker forged a servicable First Class Career
Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Jason Bakker

We haven't really had a seasoned campaigner for the Vic's for a long time which is strange when you think the amount of players who come from the Geelong Region who play for the Vic/Aus 17 & 19's.

Badger;278217 said:
i'll start off with stating the obvious.. ian redpath :D
who else from geelong played for australia?

Off the top of my head:

Australia:
-Ian Redpath
-Allan Connelly
-Lindsay Hassett
-Wayne Phillips

Victoria:
-All the above
-Jason Bakker
-Clinton Peake
-Brad Stacey
-Graeme Ross
-David Harris
-Daniel Lowery
-Colin Corstorphiin
-Kevin Neville

Internationsl:
-DS DeSilva
-Chris Lewis
-Eldine Baptiste

Obviously heaps more; these are just some of the recent ones.

I played a few games up in Port Macquarie in NSW a few years back, and the old boys used to tell the stories of the day none other than Sir Vivian Richards played against them in the 80's for one game. They played right next to a road, and on the other side of that was a beach- and talked about all the balls they had to chase down onto the beach...but to get down the massive dunes and back to fetch it woulda taken half an hour i reckon. Thats one guy i'd be honoured to let hit me for sixes.

Renny24;278260 said:
Off the top of my head:

Australia:
-Ian Redpath
-Allan Connelly
-Lindsay Hassett
-Wayne Phillips

Victoria:
-All the above
-Jason Bakker
-Clinton Peake
-Brad Stacey
-Graeme Ross
-David Harris
-Daniel Lowery
-Colin Corstorphiin
-Kevin Neville

Internationsl:
-DS DeSilva
-Chris Lewis
-Eldine Baptiste

Obviously heaps more; these are just some of the recent ones.

Legend...THATS who i was trying to remember. I remember watching him when i was young at A.T. He was shit, but tried hard enough.

What about the great Brett Anderton and the Canberra Comets (and Aus u/19)....sounds like a good band name that!!

Second XI At Best;278261 said:
I played a few games up in Port Macquarie in NSW a few years back, and the old boys used to tell the stories of the day none other than Sir Vivian Richards played against them in the 80's for one game. They played right next to a road, and on the other side of that was a beach- and talked about all the balls they had to chase down onto the beach...but to get down the massive dunes and back to fetch it woulda taken half an hour i reckon. Thats one guy i'd be honoured to let hit me for sixes.

My brother actually played cricket in Port Macquarie for many years and played for the same club as Allan Border's brother. Bit off the track i know but worth a mention.

Renny24;278265 said:
My brother actually played cricket in Port Macquarie for many years and played for the same club as Allan Border's brother. Bit off the track i know but worth a mention.

Really? How long ago? Dont suppose u'll give away his name?
Thats why im shit now, bush league on the beach will do that to u!

Adam Hollioke played at Nth Shore, but broke his leg after a few rounds, He was caught up in ball tampering as well, suspected bottle top in his pance for reverse swing - he was cleared of this. He told me that W.Younis - from Pakistan taught him all the tricks as they both played at Surrey County Cricket Club UK.

Greg Mike played at City around the same time.

Second XI At Best;278268 said:

In his 3rd year down here. Played for Port Pirates/RSL.

Second XI At Best;278261 said:

What about the guy from Leopold which was hitting you for sixers on the moon ?? That is one of my greatest memories in your cricketing career !!

Second XI At Best;278268 said:

hehe, what's this now business ? so your telling us you would have been playing alongside your mate JD at the Cats if not for that stint at the bush beach league ?

Hard Hitter;278269 said:
Adam Hollioke played at Nth Shore, but broke his leg after a few rounds, He was caught up in ball tampering as well, suspected bottle top in his pance for reverse swing - he was cleared of this. He told me that W.Younis - from Pakistan taught him all the tricks as they both played at Surrey County Cricket Club UK.

Greg Mike played at City around the same time.

Yes he did play at North Shore as they played against our 1st XI when he was in action. The stories the boys cam back with after that game was amazing. This guy was swinging it both ways and was unplayable. Pretty much they had to start playing so that if it was pitched outside the off it was going to come in, and if it was pitched on middle it was going away. They said he was pretty sharp also. The old guys (yeah even older than me) keep talking about the day they played Hollioke and he had the bottle top going. Would be a great local sportsman night story I reckon !

Back