Ganguly, Dravid dropped for CB series.

rajan_s

Ganguly, Dravid dropped for CB series.

bcci announced the team for the odi series today...sourav ganguly got dropped from the team :eek:......have they lost the mind....he scored more than 1000 runs last year in odi and they still dropped him...very smart decision....when india dont get good start they will call him back..they want better fielders in the team....well i dont think better fielder can replace a batsman like ganguly.

Ganguly, Dravid dropped for CB Series

I've split this from the Border-Gavaskar trophy thread.

I just came to know of this. Its a shocking decision. He has done nothing but score runs since he made his comeback a year earlier. His fielding may not be up to the mark, but will his replacement make as many runs as him and save the extra runs in the field too?
Rahul Dravid has been left out too, he wasn't in great form but he has retained some form in the Test series. I don't think this is the right way to treat two of your senior players who have scored more than 10000 runs. If they were hell bent on dropping them, they should have at least given them the opportunity to retire gracefully instead of facing the humiliation of being dropped.

Re: Ganguly, Dravid dropped for CB series.

i cant understand...they drop him when he was not performing but now even when he got runs they drop him...what more a player has to do....we cant drop senior players...some experence is needed in the team.

It's not the worst thing in the world and India do need to start to look to the future.

The one day game has seemingly became a testing ground for new players, with the likes of England and Australia trying to get them used to the shorted game before tests. I guess India will look to do the same?

yes but you cant drop a player like that.....youngsters are good but why replace a player is is doing so well...they are not any ordinary player....how many players make 10000 runs in odi...they should expermenting in t20...just dropping a player like this is stupid...is ganguly playing bad cricket??.....no so no reason to drop him..

I think its right to look at the future. The trio has to retire sometime. But they have to plan it well rather than just drop them and throw in a bunch of youngsters. It would be better if the youngsters were given opportunity to play along with them and learn. That would help in testing out the players without risking losing too many matches.

Not an Awful decision but Ganguly is very unlucky to miss out. Dravid time is up in the odi arena imo but i still think ganguly has something to offer.

After dropping them like this their ODI career is probably over. Age is not on their side so they don't have much hope of making a comeback. If they do make a comeback the selectors will look foolish and it would be a step backwards for them. The Indian board has a habit to treat players shabbily. They did the same to Anil Kumble. I think it is a awful decision because they should have at least given them a chance to retire. I think Ganguly could have played for another year before youngsters took over.

AB said:
I think its right to look at the future. The trio has to retire sometime. But they have to plan it well rather than just drop them and throw in a bunch of youngsters. It would be better if the youngsters were given opportunity to play along with them and learn. That would help in testing out the players without risking losing too many matches.

That would be the best option, blood the youngsters alongside the guys with experience.

Irrespective of the players name. I'm very much for team selection that is 'right' for the team and the future. India have relied for years on the big names, Dravid, Ganguly, when will Sachin go?
The point that should be made is, do they have the quality of player to replace the player going out?
I don't think so, yes you can have a younger and fitter side and when do you slot in the new player? Before the old player has lost his magic or when there's a new player producing the goods?
Personally, I would rather see old players step out at the right time ala Shaun Pollock, he knew when to go, but the fans have turned the likes of Dravid & Ganguly into gods and this makes it very difficult for the selectors. We can't forget the scenes after the World Cup, with burning photos of the team, yet they win the twenty20 and they are gods again!!! The indian fan (for this subject only) must take responsibility of what they produce...

but ganguly is not losing his magic. he was the fifth highest run scorer in whole of 2007. he was in the form of his life. its a ridicilous decision. is gambhir better than ganguly? is karthik better than ganguly? ive seen enough of them and they are nowhere as good as ganguly. they first need a good replacement before he retire. he can play for one more year i think. but dravid should retire.

deer said:
but ganguly is not losing his magic. he was the fifth highest run scorer in whole of 2007. he was in the form of his life. its a ridicilous decision. is gambhir better than ganguly? is karthik better than ganguly? ive seen enough of them and they are nowhere as good as ganguly. they first need a good replacement before he retire. he can play for one more year i think. but dravid should retire.

Ganguly is in poor form (216 runs in last 8 matches) and only got in the top five run scorers because he was in good form at the start of 2007 and India played so many ODIs. I agree that Karthik and Gambhir are not the right choices to replace them, but the intent of youth is the right one.

This really is a difficult decision. You are both Indian fans I presume and have different ideas. I think the main thing with all team selection whether at country, club, village or school is it's a very hard thing to do and you can't please everyone (I hope Devizes CC players are taking note!!!).

leggeb4 said:
This really is a difficult decision. You are both Indian fans I presume and have different ideas. I think the main thing with all team selection whether at country, club, village or school is it's a very hard thing to do and you can't please everyone (I hope Devizes CC players are taking note!!!).

You cannot argue with the facts that Ganguly has only scored 216 runs in his last eight innings and that he is a shocking fielder. India are building toward the 2011 World Cup and Ganguly will not feature in that. It is also the best move to get Dravid and Ganguly out of the ODI teams to prolong their Test careers. Doing the same for Tendulkar may be more difficult though considering he is certainly in the Top 5 ODI batsmen today and possibly the greatest ever.

Lol, 216 runs in 8 matches is hardly a really bad total, and a seasoned, proven camaigner like Ganguly shouldn't have been dropped after a slight dip in form.

wolf said:
Lol, 216 runs in 8 matches is hardly a really bad total, and a seasoned, proven camaigner like Ganguly shouldn't have been dropped after a slight dip in form.

With a massive demand for youth in the team after the T20 World Cup success, added to his terrible fielding does not make for an invincible player to drop though.

You should choose batting ability over fielding ability any day. Kartick and Gambhir are nowhere near as good Ganguly. Kartick is a wicketkeeper playing as a batsmen, and his batting is not up to scratch.

wolf said:
You should choose batting ability over fielding ability any day. Kartick and Gambhir are nowhere near as good Ganguly. Kartick is a wicketkeeper playing as a batsmen, and his batting is not up to scratch.

Karthik and Gambhir are the wrong choices, but the intent of going with youth is the right one imo.

I agree that youth is better if you wish to sacrifice victories whilst preparing for a Worlf Cup 3 years away against the best team in the World. But, my point is how will the Indian fans react to defeat (if it happens), are they very narrow-minded in that every game must be won and play for the moment only or will they accept it's time to change for the future.

The true Indian fan will see the bigger picture and accept that they need to build for the future, however, there will always be the small minority that overreact and make stories for t.v reporters.

How much say do you feel Kirsten has in the squad at the present time?

Back