Gary Kirsten to be new Indian coach

Rohitpatel

Gary Kirsten to be new Indian coach

Gary Kirsten, the former South African opener, is almost certain to be named India's new coach. The BCCI had announced on Tuesday that Kirsten was interviewed by the coach selection committee and that a formal announcement on the new coach would be made in a week's time.

"It has been finalised," a board official told Cricinfo. "We will just need some time to complete the formalities."

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/322411.html

Very interesting news. But I think BCCI official should wait before the have everything final amd then make any statements because the last time they announced the coach and then he refused.

Re: Gary Kirsten to be new Indian coach

Yes that is a good question. He was a very good player but if he does not have any coaching experience then how can he become the national coach.

Kirsten, 40, was one of South Africa's leading batsmen, playing 101 Tests scoring 7289 runs at 45.27 and playing 185 ODIs scoring 6798 runs at 40.95. Soon after his retirement from Test cricket in March 2004, Kirsten embarked on a coaching career, taking up an assignment as Cricket South Africa's high performance manager, after which he set up the privately-run Gary Kirsten Cricket Academy.

He has some coaching experience but I dont know how successful he is. But i hope bcci would do the research before appointing him coach.

He rather stick to South African Cricket for the time being :)
Managing our Indian is a tough task with superstars(worshipped next to god) and co-ordintating with the unprofessional and messed up BCCI,Public and the Media as well.
It will be a heavy toll on his body and mind.
As we seen,read,heard during the coaching stint of Greg Chappell very well.

I have to say this seems a bit of a strange move. No offence to Gary but he has been very quiet since retiring from the international cricket.

I guess he's spent the time building up his coaching experience but to be honest, I don't think you need to be a 'great' coach at this level. It's all about scouting out the talent and making sure that people make the most of what they have.

As Virender says, for your first high profile job as a coach, I can't imagine a tougher challenge than working with the BCCI.

While Gary was a great batsman I haven't heard much about his coaching credentials. I hope he doesn't turn out to be the disaster that Greg Chappell was. Personally, I think having an Indian coach would be the best option because he would understand the requirements of the job and be more passionate about it rather than a foreigner.

I agree with the first half of statement.
But currently Indian team does not require any coach;they require an efficient manager.
Local or foreigner coach;anybody who is able to manage the show will be successfull.

We get the same argument about having a non foreign coach for the England football team and in all honesty I don't think it matters that much.

They still want to win and do well, just as a home grown one would. In some cases it may be better as they're not going to get overly emotional and carried away when things go well or badly.

It can also be a help in having fresh blood into the system, bringing in new ideas and methods as well having someone who is willing to look fully at all players, not just the ones that are always considered.

I think there are lot of advantages of having foreign coach. Only problem is that if he doesnt understand how things work in india then it will be a big problem. We dont have any good coach in India anyway. Gary Kirsten said that if he is appointed he will bring a psychological coach too.

i think hes going to do a fine job. he was a great batsman and is a very good coach too. they dont really need coaching at this level just some tips to fine tune their technique if they are having any trouble.

Rohitpatel said:
I think there are lot of advantages of having foreign coach. Only problem is that if he doesnt understand how things work in india then it will be a big problem. We dont have any good coach in India anyway. Gary Kirsten said that if he is appointed he will bring a psychological coach too.
psychological coach for whom??? for himself maybe :D
As it is he will require it later on :)
The current Indian team requires an efficient manager not a coach.
Gary :confused: Only God knows

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
psychological coach for whom??? for himself maybe :D
As it is he will require it later on  :)
The current Indian team requires an efficient manager not a coach.
Gary :confused: Only God knows 
:laugh: no he will bring mental coach paddy upton with him to help indian player......he is a coaching parnter of gary kirsten....i think he will be a good coach because he played a lot of international cricket and also with these players......i like his attitude.....he said that he will keep researching about india and learn about it

kirsten will be a breath if fresh air for the Indian team, he'll bring in some verve and won't be afraid to chop out the dead wood. india will be a whole different team within 12 months and the better for it.

i think they will treat him unfairly just like greg. appointing him ahead of a tough tour like australia will get him off to a bad start and the fans and the media will make his life miserable.

Mike111 said:
i think they will treat him unfairly just like Greg. appointing him ahead of a tough tour like Australia will get him off to a bad start and the fans and the media will make his life miserable.
Well the Senior players have already secretly spoken to media and expressed their view of not interested in having Gary as coach at this moment.Maybe next year when south Africa tours India;then the appointment is fine.
About the Fan and Media's reaction; they will be happy as long as the team wins;once the team loses a couple of matches then the circus starts :mad: burning of posters,rallying around the players house, shouting abusive languages and so on.

Gary wants to take charge from March 1st because he has some commitments. i think it will be best if he joins then as the tour for australia will be a very hard job to start with. i feel the the timing of appointment is not right.

deer said:
Gary wants to take charge from March 1st because he has some commitments. i think it will be best if he joins then as the tour for australia will be a very hard job to start with. i feel the the timing of appointment is not right.

Who on earth will coach them in Australia? Rajput is going back to the U19s.

Been almost a year since Chappell 'resigned', Kirsten better stay for long and make the search worthwhile.

im sure they could make rajput stay on a little longer, if not India have plaenty of others who will be happpy to get involved, im sure.

kirsten will do well, as i have said, just hope the media lets him show his metal and not slay him

manee said:
Who on earth will coach them in Australia? Rajput is going back to the U19s.

Been almost a year since Chappell 'resigned', Kirsten better stay for long and make the search worthwhile.
from what i heard rajpuit isnt much of a coach is he. hes a manager and someone else could replace him. kirsten may have his reasons but its a good decision in a way that he wont risk getting a bad start.

Back