Gary Kirsten to be new Indian coach

Re: Gary Kirsten to be new Indian coach

Kirsten was supposed to announce his decision today, but he has asked for clarification before taking up the job. It is speculated that some senior players were unhappy about him joining before the Australia series.

Gary Kirsten said:
I have heard the rumours about some senior players expressing their concern about my possible appointment and I would prefer to have clarity on that before I commit myself to the job. I'm not sure whether the players do have concerns or not. I only met Anil Kumble on my recent trip to Delhi and he was very supportive. If there are concerns then I would like to find out whether they are about me as an individual or the process by which I was interviewed and then offered the job. I'm not going to rush because it's a very important position in world cricket and the decision needs to be made carefully and in conjunction with all the right people, but mostly the players. You can't coach any team if you don't have the players 'buy in'. I've written to the board to explain my feelings. You can't afford to start a job like this on the back foot. Everybody needs to understand each other and share the same goals and aspirations, otherwise you'll spend half your time trying to make sure you're all on the same wavelength instead of concentrating on playing the best cricket.

Well I dont know how correct the news is. The newspapers said that some senior players are unhappy but they dont have any proof. The media always strech facts and make a big issue out of anything. They also keep troubling kirsten about the tour diary and critisized him a lot about it.

Gary has indeed heard about the rumors and he wants clarification before deciding wether to take up the coaching job.
Yes some seniors have spoken to media about their discomfort.the identity cannot be revealed because of fear of being faced by BCCI's anger.
So the seniors speak to their trusted journalist only.

Thats bad news if its true. i heard that as bcci has completely denied this  but they always do so. if kirsten rejects the job it will be another embarassment for bcci. i think the seniors are somewhat justified in feeling uncomfortable having a coach for australia. getting him to join so soon before the australia will not give him anytime to adjust with the job and will only upset indias preparations.

Yeah I agree; but as i mentioned earlier;Indian Cricket Team requires an efficient Manager not a coach.
Current Manager-Lalchand Rajput is doing a good job.So he has to be retained for a longer period.
By commenting that he is a good coach for u19's is demoralising for him.

indians should get over that tour diary. why are they troubling him over it. i think the way their senior players are behaving gary shouldnt accept the job.

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
Yeah I agree; but as i mentioned earlier;Indian Cricket Team requires an efficient Manager not a coach.
Current Manager-Lalchand Rajput is doing a good job.So he has to be retained for a longer period.
By commenting that he is a good coach for u19's is demoralising for him.
I think they need a coach but one who helps them only when needed instead of trying to force them to change their technique or approach. they need to plan better against opposition like the Australians do.

I guess that Kirsten has no accepted this job, so will be interesting to see how things go. I don't think he'll be stupid enough to get involved with all of the day to day politics and will stick to managing the team and giving advice when asked.

People are questioning why bcci chose gary kirsten because he hasnt coached even a under 15 side. he has a private academy but no else experience. i hope bcci saw something in him instead of just randomly picking him.

He has individual coaching experience but no team coaching experience. In some respects that may help him more than if he was highly experieced.

coaching india is very hard. im sure their so called senior palyers are going to trouble him a lot. its a wise decision to reject the offer.

Mike111 said:
coaching india is very hard. im sure their so called senior palyers are going to trouble him a lot. its a wise decision to reject the offer.
No, he has signed the deal to coach India for 2 years. He'll take over from March 1, 2008. The concerns of some senior players was that BCCI was forcing him to take over before the Australian tour and it would upset the team given that they would have very short time to adjust.

his first series will be against south africa....it will be tough competetion but we should win that series....we cannot make any predictions because he has no previous record of coaching.......lets see how he does

Back