Geelong Cricket Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat

The Truth 18;351771 said:
my last posts here were pretty ordinay i had my back up with a few issues, so i hope the slate gets wiped clear.

anyway theres alot going on in the world of local cricket, as ive been
reading. ive played at ndcc for 16 years. the club has had quite alot spoken about it in recent times, alot of it is missinformed. if anyone has anything they want cleared up about the club or possible departures or arrivals, not that i think there will be many of the latter go ahead and ask i will try to clear it up for you.

Who is leaving NDCC? Whats the club saying????

Look here;351653 said:
The piece in today's GA about Blue West's cricket section folding was a surprise. Seems there are still blokes wanting to play cricket, but no-one wants to take responsibility for running the show. Evidently the move to BPCA last season was not helpful to them. Why on earth did they leave GCA3?

So will any clubs in the area be keen to secure Bakers Oval as a home ground?!?!?

not sure y they left gca3, but somebody from their club was on here spruiking how they were gonna show gca what a mistake they made getting rid of them, saying they would smack all BPCA clubs. they then got smacked around severely all year and shut up pretty quick after that. i doubt if the GCA would kick anybody out though, they accept all comers. so if anybody can shed light on this id like to know.

Watching Closely;351709 said:
You are obviously one of the older players or ex players at NDCC and don't like your toes troden on. If these so called blokes were so called 'High and Dry cricketers' why are they all still seen driking together on a regular basis???? Have seen these blokes wondering town together enjoying a night on the juice yet one thing they all have in common. 'THEY LEFT NDCC' maybe it may be a club that they are joining together but from a outsider all i see is something is up at NDCC. I think it is great that they have gone and cracked the Division 1 gig, but in the same time they have lost some quality cricketers to other clubs.

THE QUESTION IS WHY??????

ive never played at NDCC so i might be wrong, but the one common theme ive heard over the years from those that have played there is the Harrisons seem to have run of the place, and if ya dont like it you put up with it or leave. and before all you die hard dinos get on my case, im just telling you what i have heard from those that have played there over the years. i never had any beef with NDCC when i played against them.

Watching Closely;351784 said:

players wanting to leave are ando to bph, dk fords to sth.barwon, mills city doopa not sure golf. these are all subject to clearences, my understanding is the club is going to play hardball and not let these guys just walk out.
as for harrisons running the show not realy true peter does the wickets, me and shane just play as we are shift workers and are limited to what we can do. having said that we have some infuence, as we have been there for so long. just remember shane didnt play last year and i missed half the season due to business commitments. so it seems to have self destructed from there. i no alot of players were disapointed with the way the pres and commitee went about there business, ando didnt get the respect a captain should and that created a fracture amungst the playing group. hense the rumoured mass walk- out. i hope the club can hang on to a few guys to b competitive, but i think the damage is beyond repair and needs a whole new direction from a totaly new group of people.

Look here;351653 said:
The piece in today's GA about Blue West's cricket section folding was a surprise. Seems there are still blokes wanting to play cricket, but no-one wants to take responsibility for running the show. Evidently the move to BPCA last season was not helpful to them. Why on earth did they leave GCA3?

So will any clubs in the area be keen to secure Bakers Oval as a home ground?!?!?

not sure y they left gca3, but somebody from their club was on here spruiking how they were gonna show gca what a mistake they made getting rid of them, saying they would smack all BPCA clubs. they then got smacked around severely all year and shut up pretty quick after that. i doubt if the GCA would kick anybody out though, they accept all comers. so if anybody can shed light on this id like to know.

crktluva;351793 said:
ive never played at NDCC so i might be wrong, but the one common theme ive heard over the years from those that have played there is the Harrisons seem to have run of the place, and if ya dont like it you put up with it or leave. and before all you die hard dinos get on my case, im just telling you what i have heard from those that have played there over the years. i never had any beef with NDCC when i played against them.

harrisons do have alot to do with our clubs management, but i dont see why anyone would have problems with them, the only time someone doesnt get along with club management is when they dont get there own way. i hope one of the harrisons is captain this year..

Watching Closely;351784 said:

players wanting to leave are ando to bph, dk fords to sth.barwon, mills city doopa not sure golf. these are all subject to clearences, my understanding is the club is going to play hardball and not let these guys just walk out.
as for harrisons running the show not realy true peter does the wickets, me and shane just play as we are shift workers and are limited to what we can do. having said that we have some infuence, as we have been there for so long. just remember shane didnt play last year and i missed half the season due to business commitments. so it seems to have self destructed from there. i no alot of players were disapointed with the way the pres and commitee went about there business, ando didnt get the respect a captain should and that created a fracture amungst the playing group. hense the rumoured mass walk- out. i hope the club can hang on to a few guys to b competitive, but i think the damage is beyond repair and needs a whole new direction from a totaly new group of people.

crktluva;351794 said:

Blue west weren't kicked out by the gca, they were just not offered a spot in div 2 and cracked it because they thought they would have been a shoo-in. Dont know why they would have thought they were a chance having a shit setup on and off field. Going by their previous div 2 results and the way div 3 panned out this year i doubt that west would have finished better than mid table in any grade. Would have been better off admitting that they weren't quite up to div 2 like little river and corio bay than changing comps and talking themselves up and looking like dickheads.

crktluva;351793 said:

harrisons do have alot to do with our clubs management, but i dont see why anyone would have problems with them, the only time someone doesnt get along with club management is when they dont get there own way. i hope one of the harrisons is captain this year..

concrete cricket;352061 said:
Blue west weren't kicked out by the gca, they were just not offered a spot in div 2 and cracked it because they thought they would have been a shoo-in. Dont know why they would have thought they were a chance having a shit setup on and off field. Going by their previous div 2 results and the way div 3 panned out this year i doubt that west would have finished better than mid table in any grade. Would have been better off admitting that they weren't quite up to div 2 like little river and corio bay than changing comps and talking themselves up and looking like dickheads.

Well said

crktluva;351794 said:

has everybody heard the news? Word on the street is that teesdale has given jack campbell his marching orders due to him bein caught sleeping with shauny campbell, yes his own cousins, missus. dog act if i say so!!

concrete cricket;352061 said:

Well said

What did people think of the introduction of Kookaburra balls for this season?

And what should the format be for the 20/20 comp? I'd suggest a midweek comp with div1 sides getting a Rd1 bye possibly. Or would people prefer the "Luck of the draw" where anyone plays anyone? Also I think the Final should be played on a Sunday afternoon starting at around 5.00pm.

Thoughts....

has everybody heard the news? Word on the street is that teesdale has given jack campbell his marching orders due to him bein caught sleeping with shauny campbell, yes his own cousins, missus. dog act if i say so!!

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;352756 said:
About time

And what should the format be for the 20/20 comp? I'd suggest a midweek comp with div1 sides getting a Rd1 bye possibly. Or would people prefer the "Luck of the draw" where anyone plays anyone? Also I think the Final should be played on a Sunday afternoon starting at around 5.00pm.

Thoughts....

Maybe a Wednesday/Thursday night comp every second week. Not knockout though, each team should play at least 2 or 3 games, like in the 20/20 world cup. Something like:

-8 groups of 4 (I think there's 32 clubs in GCA)
-Clubs are seeded (each group has 1 club from each division + a randomly assigned 4th)
-Teams in each group play each other once (3 games per side)
-Group winners go into the quarter finals or top two teams go into a round of 16.
-R16/Quarter/Semi/Final are all knockout

If games were played each fortnight the season would last 12/14 weeks, which would fit neatly into the middle of the season (Start a few weeks into the regular season and finish a few weeks before finals).

Thoughts....

a for effort;352760 said:
About time

Maybe a Wednesday/Thursday night comp every second week. Not knockout though, each team should play at least 2 or 3 games, like in the 20/20 world cup. Something like:

-Clubs are seeded (each group has 1 club from each division + a randomly assigned 4th)
-Group winners go into the quarter finals or top two teams go into a round of 16.

If games were played each fortnight the season would last 12/14 weeks, which would fit neatly into the middle of the season (Start a few weeks into the regular season and finish a few weeks before finals).

That's pretty good
icon14.gif

It would have to be the top two teams that go through though IMO

About time

Thoughts....

Thoughts....

I like the idea of Kookaburra Balls, anything would be better than those cheap Platypus we used to use.

As for the T20, IMO it needs to be seperate from GCA League cricket and should be given it's own competition standing.

I life a4e's idea regarding that everyone plays 3 or 4 games and it's not just knockout. Last year when I was overseas I played a T20 mid-week comp and it was brilliant.

a for effort;352760 said:
About time

That's pretty good
icon14.gif

It would have to be the top two teams that go through though IMO

thommy_rissole;352830 said:
I like the idea of Kookaburra Balls, anything would be better than those cheap Platypus we used to use.

As for the T20, IMO it needs to be seperate from GCA League cricket and should be given it's own competition standing.

I life a4e's idea regarding that everyone plays 3 or 4 games and it's not just knockout. Last year when I was overseas I played a T20 mid-week comp and it was brilliant.

I am more of the idea that the outcome of the T20 comp would be to find the best T20 side in the Barwon Region, so at some stage you would want to add in the winners of the Colac and Bellarine T20 comp to pit against the better sides in the GCA T20 comp to then see who represents Barwon in the Cricket Victoria T20 challenge. I just think that you do run into issues which you start to take up 12-14 weeks for the season as you need to remember that you do wnat the best players playing in the comp and not having the best side at the club because we play too much cricket. I do think that a knockout has to happen at the earlier stages and then with the team that gets knocked out if they then go into another draw to and at least get 2-3 T20 games played for each side. The final would be played late Feb and then the winner being crowned the Barwon T20 Champs and then quality for the following season's VB T20 Comp. I would see the first round being games between Div 2 and Div 3 with those winners progressing to a game against a Div 1 side. This would leave 24 teams, and then they play to leave you with 12 sides. The 12 sides would then play one game to be left with 6. The 6 would then play one game so we would be left with the final 3. This would all be done by XMAS. The final 3 would then be joined by the winner of the Colac/Bellarine competition into a Super 4. The 4 would play against each side over three weeks to end up with a top 2 who would play in the Barwon T20 Grand Final. I think having this comp on a regular basis would make it very exciting and would rank up against winning a normal season premiership. How does this sound ?

Thoughts....

thommy_rissole;352830 said:

I am more of the idea that the outcome of the T20 comp would be to find the best T20 side in the Barwon Region, so at some stage you would want to add in the winners of the Colac and Bellarine T20 comp to pit against the better sides in the GCA T20 comp to then see who represents Barwon in the Cricket Victoria T20 challenge. I just think that you do run into issues which you start to take up 12-14 weeks for the season as you need to remember that you do wnat the best players playing in the comp and not having the best side at the club because we play too much cricket. I do think that a knockout has to happen at the earlier stages and then with the team that gets knocked out if they then go into another draw to and at least get 2-3 T20 games played for each side. The final would be played late Feb and then the winner being crowned the Barwon T20 Champs and then quality for the following season's VB T20 Comp. I would see the first round being games between Div 2 and Div 3 with those winners progressing to a game against a Div 1 side. This would leave 24 teams, and then they play to leave you with 12 sides. The 12 sides would then play one game to be left with 6. The 6 would then play one game so we would be left with the final 3. This would all be done by XMAS. The final 3 would then be joined by the winner of the Colac/Bellarine competition into a Super 4. The 4 would play against each side over three weeks to end up with a top 2 who would play in the Barwon T20 Grand Final. I think having this comp on a regular basis would make it very exciting and would rank up against winning a normal season premiership. How does this sound ?

thommy_rissole;352841 said:
I don't like it.

I can see how you want to make sure each side plays as much games as they can, but why waste up to 3 matches to find out what would be found out after one knock out match. As I said the team that get knocked out in the first match would then be drawn to play against one of the other teams that get knocked out, so at least they will play a game against a team of similar standard. I think I am only stating the obvious when saying there is a huge gap between the clubs at the top of division one and at the bottom of division three so that we need to get the cream to rise to the top as quick as we can so that the competition is something to strive for. Imagine what making the top 3 would do for a division 2 side to play in the super 4. Which ever way we go as long as there is some T20 cricket played by all clubs then it will be better than now.

gca_ipl;352844 said:
I can see how you want to make sure each side plays as much games as they can, but why waste up to 3 matches to find out what would be found out after one knock out match. As I said the team that get knocked out in the first match would then be drawn to play against one of the other teams that get knocked out, so at least they will play a game against a team of similar standard. I think I am only stating the obvious when saying there is a huge gap between the clubs at the top of division one and at the bottom of division three so that we need to get the cream to rise to the top as quick as we can so that the competition is something to strive for. Imagine what making the top 3 would do for a division 2 side to play in the super 4. Which ever way we go as long as there is some T20 cricket played by all clubs then it will be better than now.

Meaningless 'consolation' matches would indeed be pointless to teams knocked out of a knock-out competition.

The GCA should ask which clubs want to participate in a T20 league then co-ordinate the league into different divisions not dissimlar to how they do it now.

For it to be a successful competition IMO in needs to be a seperate league.

I know how much you love to talk about the VB T20 so the winner of the Division 1 T20 title would represent Geelong in the Barwon qualifying section.

thommy_rissole;352841 said:
I don't like it.

gca_ipl;352844 said:

Meaningless 'consolation' matches would indeed be pointless to teams knocked out of a knock-out competition.

The GCA should ask which clubs want to participate in a T20 league then co-ordinate the league into different divisions not dissimlar to how they do it now.

I know how much you love to talk about the VB T20 so the winner of the Division 1 T20 title would represent Geelong in the Barwon qualifying section.

thommy_rissole;352855 said:

yes I love talking about my 11 ball duck at the G !!! No, but other than that winning through into that comp should be what the aim for each club would be. A division 2 or 3 club could possibly have the best T20 comp in the region so they possibly need to have some way to qualify.

I think you missed my point, which was:

gca_ipl;352860 said:
yes I love talking about my 11 ball duck at the G !!! No, but other than that winning through into that comp should be what the aim for each club would be. A division 2 or 3 club could possibly have the best T20 comp in the region so they possibly need to have some way to qualify.

In response to you're statement I bolded above:

Winners of D2 & D3 could play each other for the right to play against D1 in a one-off game with the winner to then advance to the Barwon qualifying as the Geelong winner.

Round 1: Winner D2 vs Winner D3
Round 2: Winner D1 vs Winner Round 1
Winner of Round 2 would then progress to Barwon qualifying.

I can't see how this wouldn't work.

thommy_rissole;352855 said:

gca_ipl;352860 said:

Winners of D2 & D3 could play each other for the right to play against D1 in a one-off game with the winner to then advance to the Barwon qualifying as the Geelong winner.

thommy_rissole;352863 said:

so let me get this straight. You're saying that each division has there own little comp, and the then winner of the divi 2 and divi 3 play each other for the right to play the winner of the divi 1 comp.

if thats correct. that is ridiculous. IMO. Mainly because the divison 1 sides are head and shoulders above the division 3 sides. I prefer a4e's idea about the group stages, so at least if a divi 3 side does go through, at least theyve earned it against better calibre sides in there group.

Anyone know any news / have any ideas on the mooted changed format to
U/21s or u/23s rep format. I think the old VCCL format is being overhauled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back