Geelong Cricket Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat

thommy_rissole;352863 said:
I think you missed my point, which was:

In response to you're statement I bolded above:

Winners of D2 & D3 could play each other for the right to play against D1 in a one-off game with the winner to then advance to the Barwon qualifying as the Geelong winner.

Round 1: Winner D2 vs Winner D3
Round 2: Winner D1 vs Winner Round 1
Winner of Round 2 would then progress to Barwon qualifying.

I can't see how this wouldn't work.

so let me get this straight. You're saying that each division has there own little comp, and the then winner of the divi 2 and divi 3 play each other for the right to play the winner of the divi 1 comp.

if thats correct. that is ridiculous. IMO. Mainly because the divison 1 sides are head and shoulders above the division 3 sides. I prefer a4e's idea about the group stages, so at least if a divi 3 side does go through, at least theyve earned it against better calibre sides in there group.

thommy_rissole;352830 said:
As for the T20, IMO it needs to be seperate from GCA League cricket and should be given it's own competition standing.

I life a4e's idea regarding that everyone plays 3 or 4 games and it's not just knockout.

gca_ipl;352860 said:
No, but other than that winning through into that comp (VB Comp) should be what the aim for each club would be. A division 2 or 3 club could possibly have the best T20 comp in the region so they possibly need to have some way to qualify.

In response to you're statement above:

Winners of D2 & D3 could play each other for the right to play against D1 in a one-off game with the winner to then advance to the Barwon qualifying as the Geelong winner.

Now Ants, originally I said that a4e's idea is good. I then went on to say that there should be division leagues and that the winner of the D1 T20 league progresses through to represent Geelong in the Barwon qualifying.

IPL then said what about D2 & D3 and that they should have a chance to qualify, so I suggested the format above as an alternative to my previous ideas and a knockout competition.

I still think anything along the lines of a T20 league instead of a knockout competition is the way to go.

Anyone know any news / have any ideas on the mooted changed format to
U/21s or u/23s rep format. I think the old VCCL format is being overhauled.

thommy_rissole;352981 said:
Now Ants, originally I said that a4e's idea is good. I then went on to say that there should be division leagues and that the winner of the D1 T20 league progresses through to represent Geelong in the Barwon qualifying.

IPL then said what about D2 & D3 and that they should have a chance to qualify, so I suggested the format above as an alternative to my previous ideas and a knockout competition.

I still think anything along the lines of a T20 league instead of a knockout competition is the way to go.

Possibly, if the aim is to protect the weaker clubs from being demolished by the stronger division 1 clubs. However, I think a lot of division 2 and 3 clubs would like to have a crack at playing against the best, even if only to find out where they are at. If the weaker clubs don't think they're up to it, fine, don't sign-up. I'm all for playing as many games as possible, but I also think it would be a good opportunity to give every club a chance to play against the best and show what they can do. After all, it's 20/20, anything can happen.

thommy_rissole;352830 said:
As for the T20, IMO it needs to be seperate from GCA League cricket and should be given it's own competition standing.

I life a4e's idea regarding that everyone plays 3 or 4 games and it's not just knockout.

gca_ipl;352860 said:
No, but other than that winning through into that comp (VB Comp) should be what the aim for each club would be. A division 2 or 3 club could possibly have the best T20 comp in the region so they possibly need to have some way to qualify.

In response to you're statement above:

Renny24;352973 said:

changing to under 23s sounds like something mitchell troy made up so he can keep playing in it. he loves playing on those rep games.

thommy_rissole;352981 said:

Possibly, if the aim is to protect the weaker clubs from being demolished by the stronger division 1 clubs. However, I think a lot of division 2 and 3 clubs would like to have a crack at playing against the best, even if only to find out where they are at. If the weaker clubs don't think they're up to it, fine, don't sign-up. I'm all for playing as many games as possible, but I also think it would be a good opportunity to give every club a chance to play against the best and show what they can do. After all, it's 20/20, anything can happen.

ants14;352991 said:
changing to under 23s sounds like something mitchell troy made up so he can keep playing in it. he loves playing on those rep games.

surely that would not then include Babbsy into selection possibilities ?

Renny24;352973 said:

ants14;352991 said:

surely that would not then include Babbsy into selection possibilities ?

ants14;352991 said:

No i think to be more in-line with the new state 2nd XI comp which is going to an u/23 comp from this season....Riss, thoughts? Personally, i would like to see an u/21 or u/23 GCA rep side play 2 or 3 games each season.

a for effort;352986 said:

I agree it's gotta be a comp with all the leagues involved, take a look at the F.A Cup it's a great concept and I have no doubt that a lower league team could surprise in this format. Ireland was a shock in the 20/20 world cup and also Holland over the Poms, strange things can happen in cricket:cool:

ants14;352991 said:

No i think to be more in-line with the new state 2nd XI comp which is going to an u/23 comp from this season....Riss, thoughts? Personally, i would like to see an u/21 or u/23 GCA rep side play 2 or 3 games each season.

Renny24;353015 said:

I think it would be a great idea personally, but I'm not sure whether anyone else would agree with me.

a for effort;352986 said:

I agree it's gotta be a comp with all the leagues involved, take a look at the F.A Cup it's a great concept and I have no doubt that a lower league team could surprise in this format. Ireland was a shock in the 20/20 world cup and also Holland over the Poms, strange things can happen in cricket:cool:

Renny24;353015 said:

I think it would be a great idea personally, but I'm not sure whether anyone else would agree with me.

Renny24;352973 said:

cant beleive the have an under 23's, what a bloody joke, what age do ya stop at. surely once they are past 21 they are considered seniors.

crktluva;353167 said:
cant beleive the have an under 23's, what a bloody joke, what age do ya stop at. surely once they are past 21 they are considered seniors.

i agree crktluva but it's not really about the junior system afer u/17s really, more about the young up and comers and for VCA clubs, a lot easier for them to identify young talent.

Renny24;352973 said:

crktluva;353167 said:

Renny24;353266 said:
i agree crktluva but it's not really about the junior system afer u/17s really, more about the young up and comers and for VCA clubs, a lot easier for them to identify young talent.

I agree Renny.

crktluva you speak a lot of trivial mind-numbing shit at times. Younger players in Geelong who are good enough and want to play representative cricket should have the oppurtunity to. The GCA is such a high standard league it's very hard for a younger player to feature in the Country Week side, oppurtunities arise for these players when an U21 or U23 competition is made.

crktluva;353167 said:

thommy_rissole;353289 said:
I agree Renny.

crktluva you speak a lot of trivial mind-numbing shit at times. Younger players in Geelong who are good enough and want to play representative cricket should have the oppurtunity to. The GCA is such a high standard league it's very hard for a younger player to feature in the Country Week side, oppurtunities arise for these players when an U21 or U23 competition is made.

tell him how you really feel Rissole !! :)

crktluva;353167 said:

Renny24;353266 said:

I agree Renny.

I agree Renny.

thats better than speakin it all the time. i keep it real rissole thats all. i agree there should be rep sides for young seniors coz GCA is a tough league when your young, but under 23 is stretching it too far in my opinion. not many sports that have under 23 comps.

I agree Renny.

tell him how you really feel Rissole !! :)

crktluva;353522 said:
thats better than speakin it all the time. i keep it real rissole thats all. i agree there should be rep sides for young seniors coz GCA is a tough league when your young, but under 23 is stretching it too far in my opinion. not many sports that have under 23 comps.

I agree about your age bracket opinion but not many sports such as cricket have 40 + year olds dominating leagues. So an U21 or 23 competition is justified in my opinion.

I agree Renny.

thommy_rissole;353619 said:
I agree about your age bracket opinion but not many sports such as cricket have 40 + year olds dominating leagues. So an U21 or 23 competition is justified in my opinion.

C'mon Ando might look and struggle to get through a game like a 40 year old, but his age is far from it !!! :)

crktluva;353522 said:

thommy_rissole;353619 said:

C'mon Ando might look and struggle to get through a game like a 40 year old, but his age is far from it !!! :)

fineleg2fineleg;354779 said:
Apparently yes! Unless big Dewy has changed things around a bit.

What do you mean by "unless dewy has changed things around a bit" Is he ruffling a few feathers at headquarters already ;)? It's great to get the draw out as early as possible i think. The bellerine dont get theirs out until September for as long as i can remember. Do the GCA normally get a draw out this early in the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back