General Chat 12/13

What day did the VTCA call off play last week, Thursday? I heard there was over 40 grounds unavailable last week with plenty still not ready.. There's also a number of ovals that are touch and go.
Would it be sensible to just call this week off and not ruin centre tables with good weather just around the corner?

What day did the VTCA call off play last week, Thursday? I heard there was over 40 grounds unavailable last week with plenty still not ready.. There's also a number of ovals that are touch and go.
Would it be sensible to just call this week off and not ruin centre tables with good weather just around the corner?
I agree. Lets not spoil the tables for the sake of 1 game. I know we are itching to get out there, but there needs to be common sense. What does irk me though, is when there are clubs that have rock hard wickets/tables and not are allowed to play because the VTCA call off a Sat. It is not right that if a club/groundsman put in the hard work in order to get a game going are told sorry, but no one is playing this weekend. This has happened a few times over the last few years, and not only in the first couple of rounds.

I agree. Lets not spoil the tables for the sake of 1 game. I know we are itching to get out there, but there needs to be common sense. What does irk me though, is when there are clubs that have rock hard wickets/tables and not are allowed to play because the VTCA call off a Sat. It is not right that if a club/groundsman put in the hard work in order to get a game going are told sorry, but no one is playing this weekend. This has happened a few times over the last few years, and not only in the first couple of rounds.
not sure its fair if only one or two games go ahead and some sides get the 6 points plus bonus points and others get just the 3 for the draw, when for most not being able to play is no fault of their own.

How your wicket looking? I drove over the bridge yesterday, and not a cover in sight

not sure its fair if only one or two games go ahead and some sides get the 6 points plus bonus points and others get just the 3 for the draw, when for most not being able to play is no fault of their own.
I agree its not fair. All I am saying is, its also not fair on the clubs/curators that do get playable wickets, and then told that you cannot play because other grounds are no good. Perhaps the clubs that do rely on councils will then have a solid argument to take to their council and ask the question why their ground is not ready???

How your wicket looking? I drove over the bridge yesterday, and not a cover in sight
To be honest, I am not 100% sure that our wicket could be ready for tomorrow. But as I said in my earlier post, I am not specifically talking about this week or the first round in general. From memory, we have had a hard deck ready to go on multiple occassions over the last 5 years or so, only to be told that our game cannot start. As Strek said, how is this fair?? Surely if a club wants to put in the effort of getting covers down etc, it should be rewarded with play at least???

So Glen Eira and Stonnington have already emailed they have no turf wickets. I live near Spotty and they wont play. Yarraville the same. Gee if anyone starts its a great opportunity to sneak a game a head.

I'm assuming were all going to have to check the website or call tomorrow morning? Anyone heard from the VTCA?

We were told at training that the vtca were doing a "ring around" this afternoon to see how many grounds were ready then make a decision from there so they should have a decision for us soon

Just another good arguement why the bonus point system is no good......like TOBB said, if you put the work in to get track ready you should be able to play, you wouldn't lose much ground if it was just 6 pts per win

Just another good arguement why the bonus point system is no good
I agree. I can't remember when the then VJCA introduced bonus points, but it was quite a long time ago (30 years plus, perhaps). But it doesn't really make sense. Using percentage to separate teams on equal points is easy - even easier as I assume MyCricket can do all the sums for you - and removes a lot of the unfairness of teams with large versus small grounds, or super-fast versus slow outfields.

Then perhaps we can play more games in these wet-weather situations, and be able to use proper one-day restrictions as they do in other cricket.

Bonus points first started in 1974-75 season.
So closer to 40 than 30. Actually, now you've got me interested. Looking at my records, I can distinctly remember my team making the finals by just 4 runs (and definitely calculated by bonus points, not percentage) in 1972/73. I can remember hanging off the phone as we got the scores from the other ground...

I can also remember my early days before bonus points. It was much more common for matches to be called off after the first innings than it is now. But whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know. So many second innings are a farce these days, with batsmen chasing quick runs, not caring about wickets lost because the opposition is not considered likely to be in contention.

go back to your comp champ, nothing to do with you
I agree with him. Comments like that don't really help the situation. Just ask yourself "are bonus points the best way to play the most enjoyable cricket" The number of games that develop into a farce (or worse) only because clubs want to have bonus points is massive

Canning.ST ready to go although very green and a touch soft. All that work on getting a deck up for nothing.
We got covers down on Tuesday, and it was rock hard. Trained this morning, and most of our guys are probably working on their tans. Seems ridiculous that those that could get a deck up, are denied the chance to play on it

Back