General Chat 14/15

From the Secretary last week - (my bolding - which probably highlights, that although things at club level may have moved, the exec havent. I mean seriously, who really cares about a fixture book in 2014??)
Hi to all Clubs,

The fixturing process for the 2014\15 season has been seriously compromised by the inability of the Southern based clubs to be able to field 1st and 2nd elevens.

This has meant that 3rd elevens have had to fill the void, leaving an insufficient number of teams to provide a viable Two Day Competition that fits with the One Day internal and external ground shares.

From a practical point of view, for the first time in 25+ years, the VTCA will not be able to publish the South C1 and Sth C3 fixtures in the Fixture Book due to time constraints with the printer. Whilst this is regretted, it is a reflection of how things have moved over the past few seasons.

As such, please be advised that for the 2015\16 season, any Club wishing to field a 3rd eleven in a Two Day Competition may well find that they are playing against a 1st and 2nd eleven in order to provide fixturing integrity.

Consequently this will mean that all other Saturday elevens will be playing a One Day fixture.

The benefits of this will be that the 1st and 2nd eleven fixtures can be finalised earlier, and that the continual disruption of teams coming and going after the 15 August Affiliation cut off will only be confined to one grade

Regards,
Deanne Trewin
VTCA Secretary

Highetts 2s gone to c3 I believe against their 3rds. Our fixture for south div has been removed. A snr div side to play their3rds in sth div?

What a joke our comp is.. Well done to everyone who voted to keep senior div that worked out well!
We said that at the time of the vote. Clubs would either vote for what is best for them, what is best for the comp/cricket or will just vote on an issue that doesn't affect them. A little bit too much of a) and c) and not enough of b) - and in my opinion not enough courage from the VTCA to make a really important decision themselves. Or maybe they don't realise how important it is

Hardly the VTCA's fault if a team that was promoted, knew it was going to be promoted from March last season, comes to them in September and asks to play their First XI against other teams Thirds and Fourths?

They have been asking the vtca to not go up since the day they found out they went up. Their2nds struggled last year.
Then why not do what every other suburban comp does and not have aligned 1st and 2nd XI comps? Teams whether they are 1st XI, or 4th XI can find the grade they should be playing in. What we have now is crap 2nd XIs forced to go up because their 1st XI did well - and they either don’t bother putting their ones up, or their 2nd XI players become tired of being smashed each week and no longer play. And you reckon administrators of a sport would look at reasons people might not want to play

They have been asking the vtca to not go up since the day they found out they went up. Their2nds struggled last year.
in last couple of pages this is yet another case of VTCA not listening.
I do sympathize with ppl on the exec for doing what can sometimes be a thankless job but that understanding get’s eroded very quick when they time n again dismiss genuine club concerns. Need to apply some common sense n learn to be flexible when circumstances like these arise. Why don't some of these south clubs end this death by a thousands cuts by joining ECA,DDCA

in last couple of pages this is yet another case of VTCA not listening.
I do sympathize with ppl on the exec for doing what can sometimes be a thankless job but that understanding get’s eroded very quick when they time n again dismiss genuine club concerns. Need to apply some common sense n learn to be flexible when circumstances like these arise. Why don't some of these south clubs end this death by a thousands cuts by joining ECA,DDCA
If I was on the executive of those comps, I would be circling
I agree with you. We are forever being bombarded with the “you’ve got to put your hand up and help out” requests - but why bother
Last year, our club put in a proposal to the VTCA concerning the points for junior players. We submitted it with 3 other clubs, and for what it’s worth 3 of the 4 were Senior Division clubs either last year or this year. We didn’t receive a response, until we asked a month later - which turned out to be a day before they released the updated points - which actually went the other way on junior points. Now if I do say so myself, our submission was logical, rational (and seemed to be pretty obvious) - and it wasn’t even given the courtesy of a response

If I was on the executive of those comps, I would be circling
I agree with you. We are forever being bombarded with the “you’ve got to put your hand up and help out” requests - but why bother
Last year, our club put in a proposal to the VTCA concerning the points for junior players. We submitted it with 3 other clubs, and for what it’s worth 3 of the 4 were Senior Division clubs either last year or this year. We didn’t receive a response, until we asked a month later - which turned out to be a day before they released the updated points - which actually went the other way on junior points. Now if I do say so myself, our submission was logical, rational (and seemed to be pretty obvious) - and it wasn’t even given the courtesy of a response

Rather than wait for clubs to splinter off to other comps, then get regathered under the CV review, why don't South clubs approach SECA to administer a Turf Division? ECA administers Turf and Synthetic cricket sections, they have a Turf VC and Sub-committee and Syntho VC and Sub-committee, and it seems to work well. Some synthetic clubs have ended up electing to transition to Turf when a ground became available and Turf clubs play their lower grade sides in the synthetic comp if they only have one turf ground. Some synthetic clubs have merged with Turf clubs to improve their junior to senior pathway/player retention. I have no vested interest in any VTCA or CMCA club but it seems to me pre-empting the 5 streams would be better than waiting for it and utilising the existing SECA admin solves the problem of trying to establish something from scratch. Just a suggestion...

What can vtca do to save south clubs from going south and improve this comp?
Should there be a serious restructure of how the comp is run? Let’s assume for a sec that all the talk about VCA restructuring local cricket falls flat.
What can vtca do to get it’s house in order and then keeping pluggn away n building a strong turf comp.
South clubs feel like they’re not being heard & blind freddie can see the results over the last number of years.
Can we retain what there is left of south clubs & how can we entice many which have gone, back into the fold?

What can vtca do to save south clubs from going south and improve this comp?
Should there be a serious restructure of how the comp is run? Let’s assume for a sec that all the talk about VCA restructuring local cricket falls flat.
What can vtca do to get it’s house in order and then keeping pluggn away n building a strong turf comp.
South clubs feel like they’re not being heard & blind freddie can see the results over the last number of years.
Can we retain what there is left of south clubs & how can we entice many which have gone, back into the fold?
Question - Do the VTCA want a southern section? If CV come in and restructure, the south clubs will combine into their regions, and the northern clubs will pretty much stay in the VTCA!! So would the VTCA weep for their loss?

Question - Do the VTCA want a southern section? If CV come in and restructure, the south clubs will combine into their regions, and the northern clubs will pretty much stay in the VTCA!! So would the VTCA weep for their loss?
Yeah, by their track record to date, the answer is NO! Blokes who really run VTCA will only shed crocodile tears – if that.
Shame though as had great rivalry with some south clubs in old Snr A and current Snr Div.

Reckon this topic has been commented on to death in the past, so maybe no one has any interest in this anymore so I’ll not harp on about this anylonger. But it would be a shame if south goes as I believe it is salvageable, if there is a will there is a way.
One solution-Have two separate bodies run South and North, with each section to appoint 2 candidates to the VTCA exec and have a chairman a 5th man/woman on the exec board ratified by all clubs with 2 year rotating term (if chairman for the current term is from North the next appointee will be from South). Each section should be allowed to run their comp as they see fit with the exec to oversee that core VTCA rules/principles are adhered to. In effect Snr div will bind the two sides with each side free to run it’s own section as they see fit & 2 rep’s on the exec providing an equal say.
Chance of this happening 1% - a generous guess.

Enough of these hypotheticals, let’s have great season.

Yeah, by their track record to date, the answer is NO! Blokes who really run VTCA will only shed crocodile tears – if that.
Shame though as had great rivalry with some south clubs in old Snr A and current Snr Div.

Reckon this topic has been commented on to death in the past, so maybe no one has any interest in this anymore so I’ll not harp on about this anylonger. But it would be a shame if south goes as I believe it is salvageable, if there is a will there is a way.
One solution-Have two separate bodies run South and North, with each section to appoint 2 candidates to the VTCA exec and have a chairman a 5th man/woman on the exec board ratified by all clubs with 2 year rotating term (if chairman for the current term is from North the next appointee will be from South). Each section should be allowed to run their comp as they see fit with the exec to oversee that core VTCA rules/principles are adhered to. In effect Snr div will bind the two sides with each side free to run it’s own section as they see fit & 2 rep’s on the exec providing an equal say.
Chance of this happening 1% - a generous guess.

Enough of these hypotheticals, let’s have great season.

Agree with you mate - they acknowledged that something wasn’t right, put up options with regard to the possible restructure - but it is the definition of idiocy to change nothing, and expect things to improve
Roll on next week!!!

Highett 1sts or 2nds?
This may have something to do with Highett not wanting their 2nd XI to go up!!!! Their 2nd XI get promoted to South 2nds (because their 1st XI finish runner-up). But this is on the back of a season where of the 7 two-day games, the seconds managed to lose 5 outright. And apparently the VTCA think that is good for the game and for those players to go up a division,
And then they send emails to the clubs telling everybody how honourable they are being. Give me a spell!! If they did what every other local comp does and got rid of non-aligned 1st and 2nd sides, we wouldn’t have this issue
Edited - the formatting was horrendous. Check mycricket http://www.vtca.asn.au/common/pages/public/rv/ladder.aspx?entityid=1&id=RV_LAD&mode=0

Back