General Chat 14/15

Gee we have only had covers in for at least 10 years ! Not too sure what your problem is.

Problem may lie with the club where players don’t do their fair share to help out.
Large covering for an entire square is a good vtca initiative to get more play. Admittedly it’s more work for players to fold ‘em and put away after a day’s play, but all part n parcel of playing turf cricket.

The scenario where it’s a sunny day but there is no play due to damp uncovered wicket square should be less likely.
Players who whinge about having no need for large covers are in my humble view a reflection of a poor club culture. Stop sooking n get on with it. Toughen up princess!

Problem may lie with the club where players don’t do their fair share to help out.
Large covering for an entire square is a good vtca initiative to get more play. Admittedly it’s more work for players to fold ‘em and put away after a day’s play, but all part n parcel of playing turf cricket.

The scenario where it’s a sunny day but there is no play due to damp uncovered wicket square should be less likely.
Players who whinge about having no need for large covers are in my humble view a reflection of a poor club culture. Stop sooking n get on with it. Toughen up princess!
Agree - the new covers are actually lighter than the older ones despite being larger. It's not ideal but they can be manoeuvred by 1 or 2 people in benign conditions.

Having said that, we should also endeavour to ensure that a wet square doesn't result in games not being played when the deck is right to go. Calling a game off because somebody might slip on a wet deck 15 metres away is ridiculous.

South is now a 14 team comp... good to see the vtca doing a good job again. What happened at Heatherton for them to pull out so late??

Heatherton's South C3 (one day) team is still being shown in the fixtures. Perhaps they simply didn't have enough people willing to commit to 2-day cricket? I agree, it would be nice to know...

It's interesting that we now have a 14 team South Division, a 7 team South Seconds and an 8 team South A2. If the South section is to continue surely it has to become (actually revert to) simply a series of grades with teams finding their own level, dropping any pretense of First and Second XI grades.

Heatherton's South C3 (one day) team is still being shown in the fixtures. Perhaps they simply didn't have enough people willing to commit to 2-day cricket? I agree, it would be nice to know...

It's interesting that we now have a 14 team South Division, a 7 team South Seconds and an 8 team South A2. If the South section is to continue surely it has to become (actually revert to) simply a series of grades with teams finding their own level, dropping any pretense of First and Second XI grades.
And disband senior div. bringing the 10 first and second XI teams back into the mix.. Could then have a "VTCA championship final" North/West premiers v South premiers instead

^That's how it should be. Also encourages players to play, knowing they don't have to spend every second fortnight travelling across the City for a game of cricket, sacrificing other things such as work in the process.

Can anyone believe we are putting covers down and the full ones at that
I can, drizzle forcast for tomorrow. Could turn to something heavy.

And if you are putting covers down, might as well be the large ones, otherwise whats the point of putting covers at all. Most clubs have dirt patches from rd 1 wickets.

Put small ones down, it rains, table gets wet, no play.

Unfortunately no play this weekend, but there will be a couple of close 1-dayers I would think!
Sth Caulfield vs Yarraville always promises to be a great game. I agree with you North, never right off Yarraville, but Sth Caulfield look strong!

My club Yccc you can right off,after 19 years of blood sweat and tears , telly savalas has shafted my good self out the door,unfortunately the raffle money we have accumulated over the years he will blow on all his cronies ,I will be sunning my brace and bits at other venues this tear

Good Morning All,

I have been a Big Cricket Member since 2009, I have never ever posted anything as I feel I haven't had anything worthy to say, watching the VTCA in the South down on its knees and reading back through all the posts over the past two or three seasons this one caught my eye. Now it appears the list posted below plus Heatherton have basically disappeared, Sandringham was also once in the VTCA. Surely with most of the Clubs listed below playing now in other Competitions and even today some present Senior Divison Clubs in the South 3rd's & 4ths playing in other Turf Competitions, either the Presidents of the VTCA South Clubs are not in touch with their playing groups and have stuck with the traditional values of the past or haven't let the VTCA know that, unless positive change or a rethink of what is currently being done is failing, then the South will fall away even further.

Realistically the Cricket Victoria changes are 3 to 5 years away at best.

If you do the same thing season in season out then you get the same results, South Clubs falling away to other Competitions, with the North canibalising two or three Turf Competitons, North Clubs have no option but VTCA, in the South, Clubs have options and have left.....why?

I dont know the answer, I dont think the VTCA know the answer if they did, this would be addressed, but it continues to happen.

Some posts of things like Good Riddance and Stuff them I'm glad they have gone only weakens the South and proves maybe the other South Clubs and the VTCA have their head in the sand.

If what RatnBat posts is true, that four VTCA South Clubs put together a proposal to the VTCA and nothing happened, then the VTCA governance is very poor and may explain this dire situation.

Would it be better that SECA controls Turf Cricket in the Bayside area ?

That, like most other Cricket Competitions it could have A Grade , B Grade C Grade etc... instead South, South 2nds, South A1, South A2 etc...
Maybe Three or Four Grades of Two Day Cricket and 3 or 4 of One Day Cricket?

Find out from the likes of Bentleigh or Old Mentone why their 3rd's, 4th & 5ths play in other Turf Competitions, is it travel, cost, flexibility, rules, covers, player points (both seem to be an issue on this thread!) One Day Cricket, Two Day Cricket, Saturday or Sunday, the Standard of cricket, the Standard of facilities, Bonus Points, Four Day Grand Finals ....it must be something!

The VTCA South & South A1 Grand Finals I have watched at Princes Park in the last 6 to 8 seasons have been wonderful matches, surely the South is worth fighting for, if the VTCA find it too hard, then maybe all the South Clubs need to do it themselves with help from the SECA or Cricket Victoria.

I wouldn't be shocked if Clubs that have lefted or whose lower Grade sides have left returned to a Bayside Turf Competition.

A Slow Death! said:
Is that 18 Clubs gone in 5 seasons ???
1.South Yarra
2.Maccabi Ajax
3.St.Bedes/St.Johns
4.North Caulfield
5.Mordialloc
6.East Malvern
7.Old Brighton
8.Springvale
9.Parkdale
10.Old Mentone
11.Dingley
12.Aspendale
13.Chelsea?
14.Highett?
15.Moorabbin Park?
16.RMIT went North
17.MHSOB
18.Brighton East Ha Ha Ha

Not to mention my bug bear all the remaining clubs 3rds & 4ths who have left for the CMCA, Mercantile, SDDCL, MCC Club Xl etc
A Slow Death!,Jun 2, 2013Report

Last edited:
Look at the forecast , drizzle, maybe no rain
Scratch, we have to guard against the inevitable sneaky gust of wind emenating from down the Bass Coast caused by those massive wind turbines bringing unexpected rain and catching clubs by surprise. Ouch, exhale one massive sigh, wipe the brow and shaketh the head in an exasperated fashion.

Find out from the likes of Bentleigh or Old Mentone why their 3rd's, 4th & 5ths play in other Turf Competitions, is it travel, cost, flexibility, rules, covers, player points (both seem to be an issue on this thread!) One Day Cricket, Two Day Cricket, Saturday or Sunday, the Standard of cricket, the Standard of facilities, Bonus Points, Four Day Grand Finals ....it must be something!

I know for a fact that Bentleigh had an issue going back 10 or more years with lack of umpires in the lower XI's in the VTCA. They were playing young sides in their 3rd and 4th XI's and on too many occasions were playing games with NO umpires.
There were a few games against certain teams [no point mentioning them here] where the fact there was no umpires lead to some ugly incidents and Bentleigh took the decision not to expose their young players to that sort of environment.
The Mercantile CA assured the club that they will always supply umpires, no matter what level of cricket, and as far as I know, have always managed to do this.
That's why the club switched it lower XI's back then, but as to why they are still in the MCA now, I'm not sure.
The lower sections in the VTCA South Divisions probably isn't the most appealing comps to get back involved in.

Back