General Chat 14/15

Shouldn't you just worry about the ground out at spotswood and the fact they didn't utilise covers on Wednesday & Thursday! Hope it's not a toss of a coin job and ruin another chance for your club to achieve premiership glory!!
What has happened at Spotty? No play in 2 days??? It hasn't rained since THURSDAY at best. Lucky the VTAC has 4 day finals. #joke

Now potential showers forecast for Friday and Saturday. Massive embarrassment for the VTCA if 3 1st XI games, particularly their showpiece game, revert to ordinary conditions while all other games are played out...

Does anyone know what the rules are? 80 overs per side or is it now ordinary conditions ie. Sth Caulfield can draw the game and be Premiers?[/QUOTE

Both Captains agreed to 80 overs per side as the conditions presented lon the weekend would have meant whomever lost the toss would be disadvantaged.
There were photos flying around of the DDCA GF wicket, was an absolute belter. Lets hope this is used as the example of what is expected to be served up for the comp's showpiece game.

Keilor / Druids game looks like great viewing...

Fair enough on Saturday there was a few damp spots on and around the wicket which kept them from starting the game. On Sunday there was nothing more than a bit of morning dew on the outfield, the pitch was covered, re-cut and rolled on Sunday and the outfield had dried out by 2PM with a bit of sun coming out. Nothing out of the ordinary for march.

The same process was followed on the bottom ground who also had no play on Saturday. Play started on Sunday in the Nth C1 GF and only 9 wickets were lost in 72 overs which is about par for Nth C1.

I'm not sure how the decision was reached not to play Snr Div or who was involved but I wouldn't have hesitated in playing on it. I've played on a lot worse.

There were photos flying around of the DDCA GF wicket, was an absolute belter. Lets hope this is used as the example of what is expected to be served up for the comp's showpiece game.
Such a belter that the scores read Springvale South 128 and 87 defeated by Cranbourne 65 and 5/163. An outright in one weekend.

I think the point here is being missed. There should not have had to be any decision on whether to play or not, had the VTCA and ground staff done their job properly. No play across two days in a Senior Division grand final is pathetic and the vast majority of people, including sports reporters and other competitions, share the same opinion. The VTCA Board of Management as well as those at Spotswood CC tasked with the responsibility of ensuring a wicket was prepared, should be embarrassed.

I think the point here is being missed. There should not have had to be any decision on whether to play or not, had the VTCA and ground staff done their job properly. No play across two days in a Senior Division grand final is pathetic and the vast majority of people, including sports reporters and other competitions, share the same opinion. The VTCA Board of Management as well as those at Spotswood CC tasked with the responsibility of ensuring a wicket was prepared, should be embarrassed.
No point being missed at all. Sure, if time was to be had again, I'm sure the covers would have been put down before the rain on Thursday. However, there was no reason why both teams simply decided not to start play on Sunday at some stage. The wicket looked fine. And I might also add that under the current rules, when both captains agree not to start, the umpires have no say. This to me is not right, as I would like to think that even the umpires would have at least suggested to stick around and try and at least get a start to the game?? End of rant...

I think the sides must have thought they have too much to lose if they batted first. What if a side was bowled out for less than 100 and then next weekend is perfect weather. Too much of a risk I say.

Plus why should the players have to pay for someone else's mistake.

I think the sides must have thought they have too much to lose if they batted first. What if a side was bowled out for less than 100 and then next weekend is perfect weather. Too much of a risk I say.

Plus why should the players have to pay for someone else's mistake.
I would think that's sums it up. Dizzy wouldn't have a clue

20-40mm of rain forecast between now and tomorrow night. If it was the ground rather than the deck that caused the issue at Spotswood on Sunday (after 5mm of rain on the previous Thursday), then it will be interesting to see how everything copes with the predicted deluge

20-40mm of rain forecast between now and tomorrow night. If it was the ground rather than the deck that caused the issue at Spotswood on Sunday (after 5mm of rain on the previous Thursday), then it will be interesting to see how everything copes with the predicted deluge
And to add to the intrigue - if play does not start on time ie 80 overs each, Sth Caul well within their rights to bat for a day and a half if they win the toss, or if chasing, to shut up shop and bat time. Greenvale have to bowl Sth Caul out to win the GF.

Back