Gilchrist announces retirement

AB

Gilchrist announces retirement

Adam Gilchrist, who revolutionised the role of the wicketkeeper-batsman and one-day opening, has retired from Tests barely 24 hours after taking the world record for dismissals. Gilchrist will step down on Monday at the conclusion of the final match against India and he will walk away from ODIs after the CB Series in March.

"I've come to this decision after much thought and discussion with those most important to me," Gilchrist said. "My family and I have been fortunate to have had an amazing journey full of rich experiences throughout my career and are sincerely grateful to all who have helped make this stage of our lives so fulfilling.
Full story

I am surprised by the timing of this decision. I think it may be the right time for him to retire but I was expecting him to at least play till his 100th test. I guess this paves the way for Brad Haddin.

Re: Gilchrist announces retirement

I was quite shocked when i heard about this, it came right out of left field. I know his form may be a bit low, but if any player can bounce back, its Gilly. And i agree with you AB, i though he would play at least till his 100th, not his 96th

Although he has failed to live up to this high standards with the gloves and the bat in the recent matches, you can never count him out. If I remember correctly, in a recent interview when questioned about retirement, he said he wasn't thinking of it yet and will retire when he feels its the right time. I never expected the retirement to come so soon. He has been a wonderful player and I think a lot of cricket lovers will be sad to see him leave.

i think the criticism hes been getting from the stupid australian journalists has pushed him off the edge
i mean dropping a couple of catches and stuff?
and they recon he should be dropped??
that must really tick him off

yeah its unfortunate that he is retiring at this time as it makes it look as if it is the criticism of the journalists that has done it...... they were discussing on "the cricket show" the other day how far away his retirment would be...... it was obvious it was going to happen within the next season or 2.. but a shock its NOW..

LOSING A LEGEND!!

but now is jus silly he good wait a bit longer-brad haddin needs longer to cook lol

End of a great career. As an Englishman I'm glad he is gone as a cricket lover I wish he would keep going!

Here is a theory - Did CA decide his time was up and gave him the chance to retire before he was dropped?

gilchrist wouldnt be dropped by the australian selectors- why would they drop the world record holder for wicket keeping??
honestly?

exactly right.. im sure it hasnt been a slight thought in the selectors mind to drop gillie... but the building criticism no doubt has gotten 2 him... the question of "whether he is still fit for the job" has been lingering ever since he put a few down..

u cant expect him to catch every one
not everyones perfect- hes made some amazing catches aswell??
but no everyone forgets those and frowns upon the very few that he has dropped
its rlly stupid honestly some ppl should look at the bright side

he admitted that them catches should have been taken... but then went on to explain that any game where a milestone is being achieved he is bound 2 drop a couple....

cricketers cannot escape the harsh criticism of the media... i just hope it was this that drove his 2 retirement

its peter roebuck from the sydney morning herald
he always criticises the australian cricket team especially symonds ponting and gilchrist
if i ever see him in the srett im gonna have something to say to him the useless prick

The end of an Era for Australian cricket. The side is going through a period of change and can't expect to win as many matches now but i still think they will remain the number one team in the world with india a close second.

Great player and i look forward to seeing who they replace him with as i understand there are some good wicketkeepers knocking around in australia.

brad haddin will b in 4 sure no matter wat... but if he cant keep up with it.. i rekon Luke Ronchi will b next in line..

yeh brad haddin is next in line and its definite
but seriously luke ronchi would be a great one dayer and 20/20 player for us hes a good hitter

A little later and Ronchi would have a chance at the test spot straight away, but now I think Haddin is a great chance.

Another one of the Australian greats decides to call it a day. Like many others I would have bet on him going on to 100 tests then retiring but the man knows his own mind so fair play to him.

This will be another player that Australia will struggle to replace, sure you have some promising youngsters and the next in line in Haddin, but I can't see any of them matching up to Gilly. It's not so much his average of near 50 but the way in which he scored those runs and often took the game away from the other team.

He was also an underrated keeper who used to keep to Warne very well.

Australia are having many players retiring. Gilchrist was the best keeper batsman in the whole world now it will be very tough to replace him. He will retire after the odi series so everyone has the chance to enjoy his batting. I hope he scores a 100 but not against india. :p

Back