Gilchrist announces retirement

Re: Gilchrist announces retirement

He just said a few days ago that reitement was not on his mind. Either he was fooling people or he was forced by Cricket Australia to retire. Either way its sad that his career is coming to a end and the bowlers must be happy. I think in ODI Australia will miss him most because of the flying start he provides.

I read he called his family on Thursday and asked them to watch the match at adelaide. So the decision would have been made before yesterday.

listen here masterblaster
the media are having a guess at what happened
gilly hasnt said anything about how or why he is retiring he is waiting till the test match is over

Yeah i know that. I am just speculating like them too. I dont expect him to say that he was asked by the selectors to consider retirement but there where various reports on it so i am just being curious.

Another of cricket's legends retires. Similar to the retirement of Shaun Pollock wrt circumstances, speculation and timing thereof. Gilchrist completely revolutionized the role of the modern-day wicketkeeper batsman. He proved a thorn in the side of many teams over the years and I still remember his 200 in no time against South Africa in Joburg a few years back. He was a model professional and he played the game in the spirit in which it should be played. I hope the crowds in AUS go out in their numbers and show their support and appreciation for a guy who's been and will be irreplaceable. I wish him well in his future endeavours.

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
I hope he has a good outing in the ODI's.
but only against sri lanka :p....i never thought he would retire so soon. he could not play 100 matches and he will not get 10000 runs in odi...i hoped he would retire from test and play in odi because he is more important in odi....well we will not miss him too long because he will be back in twenty20 for IPL in april.

I was actually hoping he would retire from ODI's and keep going in Tests. I actually think he provides more stability in the Test #7 rather than opening the batting in ODI's. He has played more match winning knocks in Tests than ODI's (that World Cup 149 not included)

Sad day for Cricket. Mr Gilchurch calls it a day. I hope he fires in the upcoming one day series, would be a fitting send off if he could score a ton.

Pfffffft, one ton. How bout one in every game. And maybe the first ODI double century. Off 100 balls. In the final. Now that would be the way to sign off if ever i heard one!

Back