Going on tour

Jathu

Going on tour

Hi,

This week im going off to south africa for a small cricket tour and we will be playing on tuff as oppossed to the astro we have here.How will the change in pitches differ the bowling and how can I combat the changes.

Re: Going on tour

In theory you should be playing on fast, bouncy wickets which suit the pace men, especially in the first 10-15 overs.

The key is to be confident in your shot selection and sure of your footwork - I'm not sure of what the bounce is like on the astro you normally play on, but you may find the ball coming on you a bit quicker and pitched just short of a length, so you'll probably be going to the back foot a bit more.

You'll probably also find that the ball does more than you may be used to, especially off the pitch. I've noticed that a lot of the Asian players who come over to play in the UK, tend to play cross batted shots at first before adjusting and playing straighter - I'd advise to look to play straight from the off. Reduce the risk of an edge and it'll give you more time to adjust to any movement.

If opening then you need to aim to survive the initial phase when the ball is at it's hardest, so that you can attack later in the innings. Set targets for 10 overs, then reassess, set for 20 overs then reassess and so on.

Overall though, the biggest difference will be the potential for to seam and move off the pitch. For example, if the pitch is greenish and the ball seaming all over the place, you'll need to have a firm grasp of where your stumps are, not be afraid to get forward and leave the balls that you know are going wide of off.

We trained on astro but played on turf, it will be interesting for you. It's obviously more challenging, probably just be more cautious initially until you get a feel for the pitch and you should be fine.

mas cambios;329632 said:
The key is to be confident in your shot selection and sure of your footwork - I'm not sure of what the bounce is like on the astro you normally play on, but you may find the ball coming on you a bit quicker and pitched just short of a length, so you'll probably be going to the back foot a bit more.

I just started playing on turf this year, and I found it's the opposite. It comes on slower and bounces heaps less, so you have to get on the front foot as much as possible. Unless I misunderstood your statement.

Depends on what type of astro you play and also on what type of pitch. Generally, you're probably right as I've hardly played on astro but the ones I have tend to be really old and dead.

Im back from my tour in south africa and im happy cause we came second out of about 12 schools. But i never really got a chance to bat yet i am a batsman. I am going back in 2 weeks but this im playin for u15. I have noticed that the bowler gets swing in the direction of the wind.How could i use this to my advantage.I also score too slowly.How could i improve my strike rate.

Jonesy;331136 said:
I just started playing on turf this year, and I found it's the opposite. It comes on slower and bounces heaps less, so you have to get on the front foot as much as possible. Unless I misunderstood your statement.

Yeah the turf wickets I've played on have had less bounce and are more 'skiddy'.

Back