Has The Bcci Become Too Powerful In World Cricket?

BCCI - Evil Dictatorship?

• Total voters
Margaret Thatcher is not exactly the best person to quote, Britain is still struggling with the changes she put into place.

Of course they do some good things but so do all dictatorships. British rule of India is constantly derided but without it modern India would not exist. India would be a group of separate countries, there would be no combined rail system and the legal system (however good or bad) would be something completely different.

The problem is that the BCCI is doing the bare minimum and are using their power to only influence things to their advantage. If the BCCI did have the games best interest at heart:

- The ICL would have been incorporated into the IPL
- Governance and anti-corruption rules would be transparently enforced
- Championed the Woolf Report for changes to how the international game is run
- Provided the power behind a compromise between the financial and global growth of the game

The first point is impossible now and the other 3's chances are dwindling as time goes on.

Given the current news about the game fixing and corruption charges being pointed at the BCCI check out this masterstroke:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/742499.html

Lets not start with British rule here... that will require a whole new thread, and I failed in history when I was in school....

Coming back to cricket, ICL was loose cannon... no cricket administrative body governed it, it was free of ICC rules and a media company promoted it....its like a teacher who is not authorised, teaching the student, so the principal comes in and changes the teacher... meanwhile BCCI was loosing good money here, again which ultimately goes to ICC.....

New anti-corruption rules are expected (the link of which you already posted) , so lets see what happens.... Anyways the link says big 3 which includes CA and ECB too...

lets see what Lord Woolf has got in his report

1. It asks for induction of independent directors and the eventual reduction in the number of Full Members, from the current ten to four. That's the equivalent of asking America, China, France and England to give up their seats on the United Nations security council.

2. The Woolf report makes the naive assumption that power can be legislated. It calls for the directors even those nominated by Full Members, to be independent of their parent boards. It vests the right of hiring and firing the chairman in the full council. It outlines an independent nomination process for independent directors. But it ignores the most fundamental truth about power: that it lies with the rich.

3. WADA code is absurd.Indian players could not commit to the WADA code as they needed to inform the board their whereabouts at all times. Guys like Sachin, Dhoni and Sehwag are invited to so many events and are involved in so many ad-campaigns and promote so many brands, it is impossible to notify your whereabouts constantly. As a player it must be annoying, they are not criminals under house arrest!!!........ Issues with the DRS are well known and thats a case for a different day.

Let me ask you somethinkg....why will BCCI fund cricket boards across the world which cannot support themselves and let them have equal say in all matters??? and BCCI is in it for just 20 or 25 year, everybody knows what happened before that....

Last edited:
Lets not start with British rule here... that will require a whole new thread, and I failed in history when I was in school....

Coming back to cricket, ICL was loose cannon... no cricket administrative body governed it, it was free of ICC rules and a media company promoted it....its like a teacher who is not authorised, teaching the student, so the principal comes in and changes the teacher... meanwhile BCCI was loosing good money here, again which ultimately goes to ICC.....

New anti-corruption rules are expected (the link of which you already posted) , so lets see what happens.... Anyways the link says big 3 which includes CA and ECB too...

lets see what Lord Woolf has got in his report

1. It asks for induction of independent directors and the eventual reduction in the number of Full Members, from the current ten to four. That's the equivalent of asking America, China, France and England to give up their seats on the United Nations security council.

2. The Woolf report makes the naive assumption that power can be legislated. It calls for the directors even those nominated by Full Members, to be independent of their parent boards. It vests the right of hiring and firing the chairman in the full council. It outlines an independent nomination process for independent directors. But it ignores the most fundamental truth about power: that it lies with the rich.

3. WADA code is absurd.Indian players could not commit to the WADA code as they needed to inform the board their whereabouts at all times. Guys like Sachin, Dhoni and Sehwag are invited to so many events and are involved in so many ad-campaigns and promote so many brands, it is impossible to notify your whereabouts constantly. As a player it must be annoying, they are not criminals under house arrest!!!........ Issues with the DRS are well known and thats a case for a different day.

Let me ask you somethinkg....why will BCCI fund cricket boards across the world which cannot support themselves and let them have equal say in all matters??? and BCCI is in it for just 20 or 25 year, everybody knows what happened before that....
Ok, let's go through your points:

1. So?

2. You are endorsing corruption & dictatorships in one go, nice.

3. Other sports survive with it, why is it so hard for Indian cricket players? Are they more special than American basketball or European football players?

And your last point, they don't have to. The BCCI doesn't have to do anything for anyone else, kind of like what it's doing now.

Ok, let's go through your points:

1. So?

2. You are endorsing corruption & dictatorships in one go, nice.

I meant if 4 out of the 5 members in UN security council quits, the UN itself will breakdown..

3. Other sports survive with it, why is it so hard for Indian cricket players? Are they more special than American basketball or European football players?

I see you got few things wrong in your post there mate...
WADA is an organisation which is made primarily for International Olympic Committee. All Olympian are bound to follow it, apart from IOC only FIFA follows it.
Drug tests for american games such as NBA, MLB, the NFL are all done by an organisation named- National Center for Drug Free Sport, Inc. Even the american NCAA doesnt follows it.
I am sure that cricket league bodies such as BBL or CPL doesnt follows it either, so it isnt an only India thing.. Anyways ICC has got its own anti-doping agency which does a preety good job

Regarding your last point, did you know that more then 100 countries plays cricket at some level, and taking out 70% of ICC money means stoping funds for almost 70 of those nations, now I dont think ICC sees that as a favorable situation....

I meant if 4 out of the 5 members in UN security council quits, the UN itself will breakdown..

I see you got few things wrong in your post there mate...
WADA is an organisation which is made primarily for International Olympic Committee. All Olympian are bound to follow it, apart from IOC only FIFA follows it.
Drug tests for american games such as NBA, MLB, the NFL are all done by an organisation named- National Center for Drug Free Sport, Inc. Even the american NCAA doesnt follows it.
I am sure that cricket league bodies such as BBL or CPL doesnt follows it either, so it isnt an only India thing.. Anyways ICC has got its own anti-doping agency which does a preety good job

Regarding your last point, did you know that more then 100 countries plays cricket at some level, and taking out 70% of ICC money means stoping funds for almost 70 of those nations, now I dont think ICC sees that as a favorable situation....
So putting it simply, if a single corrupt powerful entity dominates the game to only further its own interests you're happy because they're still a member of a world body and they're rich? I'm sorry but I can't relate to your point of view.

The BCCI has used power to leverage things to their advantage much in the same way the original ICC used to do when it was run by some old guys from England. The BCCI also uses its influence to avoid answering questions regarding corruption and governance issues. This is not the behaviour of a responsible organisation that has the interests of the game at heart.

Mike Atherton gave a good quote that sums up my cricket world view "...if you cannot be idealistic about sport, what can you be idealistic about?"

So putting it simply, if a single corrupt powerful entity dominates the game to only further its own interests you're happy because they're still a member of a world body and they're rich? I'm sorry but I can't relate to your point of view.

The BCCI has used power to leverage things to their advantage much in the same way the original ICC used to do when it was run by some old guys from England. The BCCI also uses its influence to avoid answering questions regarding corruption and governance issues. This is not the behaviour of a responsible organisation that has the interests of the game at heart.

Mike Atherton gave a good quote that sums up my cricket world view "...if you cannot be idealistic about sport, what can you be idealistic about?"

I have said it multiple times and I am saying it again, its not BCCI which is corrupt, its the boss. I have given you all the answers for all your doubts regarding the decision taken by BCCI......The reason people doesnt know about the reality of BCCI is because they are fed with wrong stories. Tell me something, even for a moment I accept BCCI is corrupt, why doesnt ICC just expels it, ok the ICC cant, but there are courts in all the countries right, they should do something.... It is always a basic human intention to make expectition more then obtainable, and if there is a insufficiency or lapse , even if a very small one, the leader is damned....

I aint blaming people who have no idea what goes on inside the offices of cricket boards... I am reproaching media for feeding negative news to people for their own nefarious reasons... Hurtburn against BCCI is helping no one except selling more sports mags and increasing viewership of sportsnews....

Yes they have become too powerful in world cricket. Sadly no end to their reign of terror seems nigh. An economic disaster in India may break its stranglehold on the world of cricket but at the same time I am not sure how this will affect the world economics, certainly not a commerce student by any stretch.

I have said it multiple times and I am saying it again, its not BCCI which is corrupt, its the boss. I have given you all the answers for all your doubts regarding the decision taken by BCCI......The reason people doesnt know about the reality of BCCI is because they are fed with wrong stories. Tell me something, even for a moment I accept BCCI is corrupt, why doesnt ICC just expels it, ok the ICC cant, but there are courts in all the countries right, they should do something.... It is always a basic human intention to make expectition more then obtainable, and if there is a insufficiency or lapse , even if a very small one, the leader is damned....

I aint blaming people who have no idea what goes on inside the offices of cricket boards... I am reproaching media for feeding negative news to people for their own nefarious reasons... Hurtburn against BCCI is helping no one except selling more sports mags and increasing viewership of sportsnews....

A fish starts rotting from its head, an old saying aint it. I agree with you the 'boss' is to blame but at present the entire fish has decay, all are to be blame inclusive of the ones who support the BCCI!

I myself from india but I still do not know how ICC calculate number points in ranking.just few weeks ago india was low in t20i ranking and westindies number 1 but after whitewash of Australia, india become number 1 overnight and bangers and Zimbabwe were kick out from first 10 list and Scotland and Afghanistan included in number 10 and 9 respectively

one other issue bugging me was bowling action as ICC targeting only spinner for bans either they were ajmal,narine,samuals,hafez etc but no indian bowler ever icc ban ever.i found bumrah,ashwin and herby's action doubtful.

one other issue bugging me was bowling action as ICC targeting only spinner for bans either they were ajmal,narine,samuals,hafez etc but no indian bowler ever icc ban ever.i found bumrah,ashwin and herby's action doubtful.
I'm pretty sure that's not the case... I understand that a lot of recent suspensions/ bans have been against spinners but surely you can't think there's some ulterior motive behind the decision. If the game has been infested with a bunch of filthy chuckers then why shouldn't they put their foot down? I think it's in their best interest to keep the game as pure as possible, the degree of flex in a bowlers arm has already been altered so why make further allowances?

There's a time and place to practice your Shot Put/ Javelin, the Cricket field isn't one of them.

I myself from india but I still do not know how ICC calculate number points in ranking.just few weeks ago india was low in t20i ranking and westindies number 1 but after whitewash of Australia, india become number 1 overnight and bangers and Zimbabwe were kick out from first 10 list and Scotland and Afghanistan included in number 10 and 9 respectively

Before India's tour of England, India were 125 points in test ranking, after 4 games loose they slips to 115 points so I assume if you loose @single test you loose 2.5 points but India still number 1 because others far behind.2/0 win yesterday once again we might gains 4 points

Pakistan #1 in t20I ranking now , I think ICC granted 2 points per win single game, I am not sure though,

Few years ago Southafrica loose 2 points in the tour of asia because series not even took place because of rains so ICC
Gave ranking Weirdest way.According to amla ICC stupid.

No yesterday India equal Australia in 10 series win in a row but India did it in ONLY in INDIA

India doing poor performance away from India so no way India become too powerful in world cricket unless they have to play only in India.

I bet NZ and Australia beat India in less than 4 mos away from India.(2018/19)

I think that the BCCI are salty of the ICC rather than too powerful.
Lots of grudges held and it allows it's own government to become involved.

A survey conducted by the Federation of International Cricketers’ Association (FICA) found that around 70 per cent of players believe that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has too much influence over issues within world cricket.

Hi guys,
I am currently leading an investigation about cricket fans digital usages. I was wondering if you can take 5mn of your time to fill this anonymous questionnaire: Cricket Fan Survey
This study will be used to to make recommendations to international and local cricket organisations and we wanted to make sure it is based on real cricket fans insights.
Thanks a lot for your help,
Greatly appreciated.

I did think they were a little selfish with the latest IPL tornament being played amongst the covid outbreak in the subcontinent.

Back