HDCA Juniors 2010/11

Re: HDCA Juniors 2010/11

the lion;406753 said:
enjoying the fun facts also ari, cookson has been spotted hobbling around the schoolgrounds therefore there is no doubting your information... not to mention m.wayman confirming himself as a big prospect in the hdca umpiring department claiming he wants to "knock off brett pollard as the number one umpire in the comp" quoted from the horses mouth

oh the fun facts are coming from reliable sources..

as for wayman knocking bretta off as the best umpire in the comp... he's kidding himself

Big Papa Smurf;406386 said:
Alrighty fellas

Since im sick and tired of reading what i consider rubbish, lets get constructive and start a new topic on good premiership sides of the past and present and how they would match up these days in 17 gold.

Ill start with the Rosanna boys from 2008/2009 led by jack ridewood, very good team, not many weak links in that side at all, and id say if were playing these days could take it up to the bergs. The greensborough side they beat that year were a good side to, which made the flag even more worth winning for those boys.

The banyule side from the year before that were also a fair team, dominated for most of the year with moio destroying some good batting line ups.

And yes, you bergs last year were a good side as well.

More to the point
Who do we reckon is the best under 16/17 side of the last however many years?
What are the rest of your thoughts?

IMO id go for the Rosanna boys just :)

people are always saying how much better HDCA and DVCA is to NMCA (Jika), well have a look at the premiership side of 08/09 div1... best junior side to play in the NMCA. would beat any other side from any other comp!

snapcracklePUP;407158 said:
people are always saying how much better HDCA and DVCA is to NMCA (Jika), well have a look at the premiership side of 08/09 div1... best junior side to play in the NMCA. would beat any other side from any other comp!

wouldnt beat the bergers
who was it and can we have some names of some of the well-known players in the side?

snapcracklePUP;407158 said:

When looking through the results for the NMCA U17 Div 1 season that you mention, it looks like a common scenario in all junior comps from time to time. That is a heap of teams that struggle to compete against a good side. It looks like Holly Trinity were the dominant side for that season, but as for beating any team from any comp, I would not even begin to go there.

I don't say that to pour cold water on your opinion as they were clearly the best NMCA U17 side that year. But compared to what is the question.

onemoreover;407164 said:
When looking through the results for the NMCA U17 Div 1 season that you mention, it looks like a common scenario in all junior comps from time to time. That is a heap of teams that struggle to compete against a good side. It looks like Holly Trinity were the dominant side for that season, but as for beating any team from any comp, I would not even begin to go there.

I don't say that to pour cold water on your opinion as they were clearly the best NMCA U17 side that year. But compared to what is the question.

couldn't agree with you more onemoreover, looks like the psychologist has done the trick.

you may have been a good a side however the names that you beat don't impress me at all,

bergs would have you for breakfast

ari gold;407204 said:
couldn't agree with you more onemoreover, looks like the psychologist has done the trick.

you may have been a good a side however the names that you beat don't impress me at all,

ok for starters Ben Slav took 40 odd wickets in his first year of A grade at 17... Nathan Jumeau won the bowling for the comp... Eamonn Scott played U18 cowboys as a bottom age and won player of the series for the team with 132 runs at an average of the same number. Julian Turner played U18 cowboys and made 2nd most runs... Greg Maratos also played U18 cowboys as a bottom age and plays 2nds at Preston (SubDistrict) and made 1 or 2 fifty plus scores. we had depth right to number 10 and 8 players could bowl and take wickets at any stage of the match. we have been told that is the best ever U17 team to play NMCA.

snapcracklePUP;407228 said:
ok for starters Ben Slav took 40 odd wickets in his first year of A grade at 17... Nathan Jumeau won the bowling for the comp... Eamonn Scott played U18 cowboys as a bottom age and won player of the series for the team with 132 runs at an average of the same number. Julian Turner played U18 cowboys and made 2nd most runs... Greg Maratos also played U18 cowboys as a bottom age and plays 2nds at Preston (SubDistrict) and made 1 or 2 fifty plus scores. we had depth right to number 10 and 8 players could bowl and take wickets at any stage of the match. we have been told that is the best ever U17 team to play NMCA.

yeah well done, we are still better than you,
- mitch hand: vic 17's rep (bottom age)
- daniel cookson (falcons captain), justin powick, jo zema, dan kelly and seb nicolosi also played

if you really want me to reel off some more stats i will be more than happy too. also, last time i checked i believe the other sides in your comp that year had slim to none.

got any other outlandish statements to make?

Fun Fact: NMCA is a sub-standard competition compared to the HDCA and DVCA

ari gold;407204 said:

Yeah thanks Ari, I eventually gave in. The medication is doing me wonders and you all look so weird from up here. :eek:

Fair enough if they have been regarded as the best U17 NMCA side ever. I am ok with that, no problem at all. As I said, "would beat any other side from any other comp" is an unqualified statement that you could not possibly defend.

Cheers for that team's success though!

greg maratos is average at best

BTW is Julian Turner by any chance related to the name Turner from the DVCA?

Discussion starter:
Is it better giving juniors a taste of senior grade cricket (1's & 2's) where their opportunities are limited or is it better for them to cut their teeth in the lower grades (3's & 4's) where they get more of a chance to dominate? What do you think juniors? Is it better to be playing upper grades and doing a little bit or playing lower grades and doing a lot? what would you prefer?

walter cronkite;409080 said:
Discussion starter:
Is it better giving juniors a taste of senior grade cricket (1's & 2's) where their opportunities are limited or is it better for them to cut their teeth in the lower grades (3's & 4's) where they get more of a chance to dominate? What do you think juniors? Is it better to be playing upper grades and doing a little bit or playing lower grades and doing a lot? what would you prefer?

Confidence wise, you'd want them in 3rds and 4ths, but if you keep getting easy runs and cheap wickets, it's not gonna do you any good. Better off playing the higher level where there'd be a challenge for the younger cricketer.

barbarathepelican;409272 said:
Confidence wise, you'd want them in 3rds and 4ths, but if you keep getting easy runs and cheap wickets, it's not gonna do you any good. Better off playing the higher level where there'd be a challenge for the younger cricketer.

With you all the way on that one Barb.

No problem on that in theory. Bit different in practice however from what i've seen. some juniors play in 2's and 1's - consider themselves a 2's or 1's player, yet they barely get a touch because they're either batting at 9-11 or bowling 4th change. then they're dropped down a grade because they weren't "up to it".
does no good for their confidence or career. i'm not convinced that there's such a gap in standard between 2's and 3's cricket anyway.

walter cronkite;409377 said:
No problem on that in theory. Bit different in practice however from what i've seen. some juniors play in 2's and 1's - consider themselves a 2's or 1's player, yet they barely get a touch because they're either batting at 9-11 or bowling 4th change. then they're dropped down a grade because they weren't "up to it".
does no good for their confidence or career. i'm not convinced that there's such a gap in standard between 2's and 3's cricket anyway.

Yeah from personal experience I had trouble staying in the 2nds. It took me 3 tries to get into the 2nds, which was much more of a challenge than 3rds and 4ths. They took a risk with me and opened with me in my 3rd try. Haven't looked back.

walter cronkite;409377 said:

I was making an assumption that many keen and committed juniors would have cut their teeth in the lower senior grades by U17 to some degree. I would expect this would allow at least some level of evaluation of who is ready to play higher and what opportunities are available in the higher grades. Also I think the juniors need to be given time rather than yo yo'ed in and out of teams. That may mean they are "carried" to a degree while mentored within the team.

lower plenty are playing hdca 17's gold, if they have the same side as the had as last year then they will test heidelberg this year, niall smith would be the best or atleast one of the best allround cricketers in the comp with support from liam hunt, darcy vallance, sam staples and the one and only matthew g byron, who are all capable players. if those 5 all play then they should be very competitive.

Back