Hopes or McDonald?

who should be in or next in line for the Australian ODI team?

  • James Hopes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew McDonald

    Votes: 5 100.0%

  • Total voters
    5

Boris

Active Member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

eddiesmith;386736 said:
44 very low? 28 off 31 very low and slow? Hmm, thats an interesting description, under that idea then every ODI innings of Hopes has been very very very low :D :D :D
I didn't mean this at all seriously, just trying to show you the length of your thinking. White is a very good player, but if we select just certain games he is made to look terrible. For a man who averaged 12 for his first 15 games and then up to 25 for his next 20 you can make him look like a terrible player. For that matter if you tried hard enough you could make McGrath look like a dud. Take a look at what Hopes has done for the side and you will see how well he really has done. Nothing great either way, but if he fails with the bat, he picks up with the ball or vice versa. He takes the blinding catch to remove the man in form. You can't judge him on what he hasn't done, because he has done a lot more right than what he has wrong.
 

gbatman

Member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

McDonald just smashed 120 runs for the vics in a shield game. He's come on in leaps and bounds and is a far superior cricketer than Hopes.
 
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

McDonald is very consistent with both bat and ball. Hopes is also, though I don't think you could argue that his batting is as highly productive as McD's.

I know we suddenly have more fancied all-rounders in the Australian squads at present, still it is difficult to understand how McDonald doesn't get a game in any format.
 

D.K

Active Member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

Watson and Hauritz both should be enough to be our all-rounders in the shorter game. Bring in another batsman or a specialist bowler.
 
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

As we know, the team gets rotated a bit so a few all-rounders are almost essential. The short games are made for adaptable, multi-skilled types more so than specialists.

Not sure I'd classify Hauritz as an all-rounder just yet. Still, bowlers who can bat a bit are very handy.
 

Boris

Active Member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

I don't think it matters really.

This rotation system will have everyone playing at some point, and I like it. Means instead of limiting the team to 12 players, it can be extended to 15 or even more and within a series everyone can play and do equally as well.
 

ads13

New Member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

Sober Symonds;388562 said:
McDonald is very consistent with both bat and ball. Hopes is also, though I don't think you could argue that his batting is as highly productive as McD's.

I know we suddenly have more fancied all-rounders in the Australian squads at present, still it is difficult to understand how McDonald doesn't get a game in any format.
simple mate for what ever reason players from NSW and QLD are picked ahead players from others states

as what the late david hookes said "when u get picked for NSW you get the blue cap as well as the baggy green in a paper bag as well" the same could be said the players playing for QLD!
 

Boris

Active Member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

ads13;388747 said:
as what the late david hookes said "when u get picked for NSW you get the blue cap as well as the baggy green in a paper bag as well" the same could be said the players playing for QLD!
Hmm, let's count how many Queensland players there are then. Hopes and Harris. And neither play Tests. And Harris is a South Australian migrant.

NSW have more playing because NSW have more quality players, which is expected of the highest population state in Australia. I hate NSW, but it's true. Join the Victorian Deservedness thread for this.
 

Ljp86

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

57 not out off 26 balls and 1/27 from six overs in the final ODI match against West Indies.

Far superior to McDonald.
 

Boris

Active Member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

Ljp86;389306 said:
57 not out off 26 balls and 1/27 from six overs in the final ODI match against West Indies.

Far superior to McDonald.
Here, here.

He shows the goods at international level time and time again.
 
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

Yeah, we need those players that can come in low down the order and clear the rope consistently.

Great innings yesterday from Hopes.

Also at one point last year he was our most economical bowler.
 

Boris

Active Member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;389351 said:
Yeah, we need those players that can come in low down the order and clear the rope consistently.

Great innings yesterday from Hopes.

Also at one point last year he was our most economical bowler.
You have to not forget though that he's a bowling all rounder if anything.

His bowling has gone a little wayward at late, but his batting has stepped in as it always has - rarely ever has a bad game.

If I can criticise him on anything it would be that he is bowling too many wicket taking balls. He is there for the consolidation overs where he can bowl very economically and stop those singles and twos, and therefore bring in more attempts to get the run rate to about 4-5 an over through that period and bring in those wicket chances. He doesn't have the pace for anything else, so that's why he bowls there and that's why he is brilliant there.
 

gbatman

Member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

great knock by Hopes the other night, shown that maybe he is worth his spot, even if it was a long time coming and on a road against tripe bowlers who wouldn't get a gig for the Victorian XI. Perhaps he will come good and we will be rewarded for the persistance we have shown in playing him.
 

Boris

Active Member
Re: Hopes or McDonald?

gbatman;389509 said:
great knock by Hopes the other night, shown that maybe he is worth his spot, even if it was a long time coming and on a road against tripe bowlers who wouldn't get a gig for the Victorian XI. Perhaps he will come good and we will be rewarded for the persistance we have shown in playing him.
I don't think you have noticed that this isn't the first time he has done this sort of thing.

He has been persisted with because he does it all the time.

Normally when batting he plays the Voges role of the last game, where he plays second fiddle but still scores at a SR of 130ish and hands the strike over to the possibly bigger hitter at the other end to work their magic. This, in turn, makes him go unnoticed. In two months time we will be able to remember Hopes' hit in that game, but how many of us will remember Voges'?

He just proved that he can play both roles, two in two games.

He doesn't need to 'come good' because he has already done that.
 
Top