How Do You Train?

I think my accuracy is so poor it would just annoy an actual batsman!

When i practice i start of 2/3 length and bowl off one step.

Once i feel comfortable i can land the ball in front of the stumps and turn it i go to full length.

Then i start to bowl with my run up. Four bouncy steps is all it is. Takes me ages to get any accuracy once i start to run up.

Loads of balls pitching outside leg.

Eventually it all clicks into place and i can bowl a half decent spell.

This is the most frustrating thing about leg spin. I regress so quickly between net sessions.

I'm new where so i cant post questions, but if anyone is reading this i have an issue i've not seen mentioned here.

I only started bowling in the nets recently at my local club and when i do i have to really concentrate to avoid tossing the ball up into the roof. That's the focus of my practice at the minute. Trying to bowl flatter. Should i be doing that though? I feel like I'm not giving it any flight or bounce now.

Also, surely it's important to watch plenty of cricket on tv and listen to the analysis to develop a good understanding of how to bowl in different conditions and against different kinds of batsmen. Maybe that's just what i want my wife to believe!

If you actually watch good quality spin bowlers (whether pro's or just good amateurs) the ball does NOT go significantly upwards after leaving their hand. Most "flighted" deliveries at pro standard don't actually ever really get above head height. If you're hitting the roof of the net you're bowling far, far, far too slow and loopy, even for low level amateur cricket.

Watching cricket on tv is important, but be aware that 90% of what commentators say is complete and utter ****************. If you have a specific question, you're better off asking some of the qualified coaches on this or similar websites, at least they know what they're talking about.

I mostly practice in solitude and exclusively at the moment as I don't have a club.

Today I tried a "game" of 20/20 by myself. If I landed four consecutive deliveries in the same over which were a good line and length and turned how I wanted them to, that was a wicket. If it was short and wide I would give the batting team four. If the line was a bit ropey I would give the batting team a single or two. Anything which went past leg stump was a wide, and I used my discretion for wides on the off side. It was a fun way of concentrating the mind. I went through good spells, average spells and some bad ones with too many wides. When I got to the tail (seven wickets down) I changed it to three good consecutive deliveries in the same over for a wicket. And if a googly hit the stumps I would also count that as a wicket, but only if the preceding ball was a good leg break meaning I wasn't relying on the googly as a get out of jail card.

It kept things interesting and in the end I played two of these full 20/20s, which took about an hour and a half to get through. In both games it took me until about the 17th over to get ten wickets.

Obviously it wasn't an exact science but it was pretty worthwhile overall and made me forget about things like tweaking my action as I was too busy keeping score in my head.

I only started bowling in the nets recently at my local club and when i do i have to really concentrate to avoid tossing the ball up into the roof. That's the focus of my practice at the minute. Trying to bowl flatter. Should i be doing that though? I feel like I'm not giving it any flight or bounce now.

I don't think is anything to be ashamed of, personally. Some nets are very low for slow bowlers. In the net I used to practice in, at Milton Keynes Open Uni, it wasn't an issue as it was a high net. But when I moved to Northampton, I found the local nets were too low for my bowling and it became frustrating hitting the roof. I simply moved the crease back to eradicate this from happening.

We can't all be Shane Warne bowling ripping leg breaks just above head height at 55+ mph. I certainly don't think bowling loopy leggies will prevent anyone from successfully bowling in "low level amateur cricket". If you look at the Jenner video, he talks about spinning the ball up to land it in a large target area inviting the batsman to drive. His deliveries look to me to be going well above head height.

Back