Icc World Cup 2011

Bangladesh still a complete joke. I'm still perplexed as to how they have test status.

Still don't rate ten Doeschate, who can't dominate England in a one-dayer? ;)

Reason why you dont rate him?

Divisions is something I don't agree with although I do agree that there should be minnows at major cricketing tournaments such as the World Cup and not just T20. The problem with divisions is that two test nations will be in div 2 (Bangladesh and Zimbabwe) and they would likely argue that they should be a in top tier as they are test-playing countries. Personally I'd have the tournament as four groups of four with a finals series to follow.

Ljp you just made the case why we as the public need the divisions? The world cup is far too long and is not the premier event for the sport? I think in all honesty, the best World Cup in my mind was in 1992. Strength versus strength will do the product justice. I agree with the ICC with that idea. The time has come that the associates and the bottom 2 test nations play in a pre tournament to get the last 2 /3 places in the world cup. That would ensure that the strongest survive and make it through and give us Ireland-like performance. The time has come for the ICC to admit that Bangladesh has been a disaster.. they are not going anywhere and I am battling to see any progress in the next 2-3 years. Zimbabwe has made their own bed with political interferences etc. Honestly what did Bangladesh feel today? total embarrassment and it adds no value to either party.
I am sorry but cricket needs less not more to ensure that we are going to create an event that captures the imagination.

The minnows should be in the T20 as the difference between them and the full test playing nations. But to feature in the World Cup they need to prequalify..

I'm with Nairbe on this, this is the platform within which the can see what they need to be doing and it's a goal they can strive for. As for England being a 2nd division side, you've gotta be an Aussie to be making comments like that!

On current performance England are a horrid one day team, just look at their results over the last six months. This is part of what i mean with a two division system. We need to separate our thinking over Test status, ones ability in test cricket is meaning less and less in other forms of the game and should be seen as completely separate. If we expect this game to grow and develop world wide we need to develop one day cricket with divisions or maybe conferences world wide and get every cricket playing country involved in visible competition. You can point out the inequality that exists in the game but that does not seem to be of concern in football.
Just as one day cricket needs the change i believe T20 should be left as a world wide franchise system like the IPL. This gives potential incomes to players from minnow nations that would not otherwise ever see income from their sport. This would help attract better players in the competition with other sports. Countries like USA and Canada would be prime market places for selling T20 franchises, good players could be bought and these countries could have a sense of success in the sport internationally giving the game some profile and improving the attractiveness of the game.
Test cricket is test cricket and when it comes to tests i am a purist. I love the game and hate the idea of day night tests. I don't see the need for change but this will always be a limited market for traditional cricket nations.

Good to see the the Bangladesh fans took the loss well yesterday. If the ICC are going to send the World Cup to countries where people behave like animals after losing a game of Cricket get some decent security.

I really like some underdog countries in this WC.
Specially NED and Ireland. Well, they won't make it through Quarter may be, but they are improving day by day.
Until 1992, Sri Lanka was very muck alike them, but then from 1996 things have changed for them.

Gee they are getting some fair turn out there, it's been a pretty entertaining contest so far. Hopefully the rain can stay away but it doesn't really look like it..

To say that game was a washed out would be an understatement, result probably wouldn't have worried Australia too much I'd thought.

South Africa B off to a bad start against South Africa A :)

They are only a second string team so don't be too harsh.
wink.png

South Africa 3 for 72 with Kallis going, England could be in with a show if they can get a couple more reasonably quickly although I hope not :)

Geez some massive turn out there. 7 down with 32 required you would think these 2 would have to do most of the work to get home. Steyn might get tempted to go a big shot I reckon if he gets the right ball.

Reason why you dont rate him?

Watched him in the Big Bash and for all the hype he was a massive let down. He got found out badly in one of the best T20 tournaments in the world.

hattrick said:
Ljp you just made the case why we as the public need the divisions? The world cup is far too long and is not the premier event for the sport? I think in all honesty, the best World Cup in my mind was in 1992. Strength versus strength will do the product justice. I agree with the ICC with that idea. The time has come that the associates and the bottom 2 test nations play in a pre tournament to get the last 2 /3 places in the world cup. That would ensure that the strongest survive and make it through and give us Ireland-like performance. The time has come for the ICC to admit that Bangladesh has been a disaster.. they are not going anywhere and I am battling to see any progress in the next 2-3 years. Zimbabwe has made their own bed with political interferences etc. Honestly what did Bangladesh feel today? total embarrassment and it adds no value to either party.
I am sorry but cricket needs less not more to ensure that we are going to create an event that captures the imagination.

The minnows should be in the T20 as the difference between them and the full test playing nations. But to feature in the World Cup they need to prequalify..

Segregating teams will only make the problem worse and will further widen the gap between the better and lesser sides. The associate nations dream to take on the best sides in the world and see where they are in terms of performance and ability, without the quest to try and make the World Cup, they don't have much to play for and taking that away from them does nothing to promote the game if they can't reach the pinnacle tournament in the sport.

Qualification may seem like a good idea but in reality, teams like Bangladesh, West Indies and Zimbabwe will breeze past the sides that are ranked 11 through to 16 and the tournament will see only test nations competing which I think is unfair. In the past I've been highly critical of associate nations (and still are) but they do have a right to be there and at least compete at the highest level possible. The rugby world cup and even the soccer world cup have lesser sides competing even though some of them are quite uncompetitive and the cricket world cup should have them as well. This is a World Cup after all, every sport has teams which aren't the greatest but still have a right to be there.

I do believe that more needs to be done to try and make these teams more competitive though. Games against "A" sides or state/province teams would be a chance for Ireland et al to try and better themselves as cricketing teams so they can improve.

England turn the game on its head to win by six runs with South Africa collapsing very badly in the end.

Oh man, that is depressing.

Good old dependable Saffers. How is Smith going to look in the presser? Even if journos are kind enough to not mention the 'c' word, he's going to know that everyone is thinking it.

I might stick some money on England to win the tournament now. It will stick in my craw if they do so I might as well get something from it.

I think South Africa's ability to choke outdid England's ability to fail in the end.
wink.png

Enjoyable game to watch in the end, it was good to actually see a lower scoring contest with a bit of cat and mouse just like the old days for a change.

Back