Icc World Cup Decision To Be Reviewed?

Will the ICC change their minds

• Total voters

Shamrock

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/511767.html
and
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/511789.html

Good work from the associates in bringing pressure to bear on this disgraceful decision. But the hard work only starts now.

Warren Deutrom, the CEO of Cricket Ireland makes a few good points in the first article especially the fact that essentially it's the same group of people who made the decision that will be reviewing it.

I welcome the move and hope that common sense prevails.

My $0.02 on what will happen.

ICC will change their minds on this. They will have to. Their lawyers will make sure of that as the associates will be ready to go to court if they get knocked back this time and the CAS will make sure that the decision is changed. Pragmatism will win out.

The qualification process will be made as hard as possible for the associates. The ICC will not be happy about having to cave in like this and will make sure they make it as hard as possible for the associates to qualify.

Funnily enough in terms of bums on seats at the next world cup (here in Oz) Ireland qualifying would be the best thing that could happen. No one is going to rock up to watch Zimbabwe but with the Irish community out here their games would most likely draw very decent crowds

Still at least now they should have some chance!

C'MON IRELAND!!

Like I said somewhere else they've gone from way too many associate nations in the 2007 WC to the other extreme in having none.. A 12 or perhaps even keeping a 14 team World Cup is the good balance imo. You also make a good point about the Irish receiving a fair bit of local support if they are involved, they've probably shown as much as Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and at least deserve some sort of chance to qualify.

CA seem keen on a 10-team comp for the 2015 World Cup (and are planning for that at the moment) but want the sides decided on merit rather than just a pure top-10 test nations which is the determining process at the moment. They are more than happy to have a 12-side tournament though which is a far compromise.

If they were to do that there should be a pre-qualification tournament where teams from 11th to about 18th have a chance to qualify for the tournament. Personally I'd rather see a 16-team competition but I don't see that happening, it'll likely be 12 teams.

This is good, I've been one of those promoting the petition against the ICC on this matter. Ljp86, you sound sure that the ICC will make a qualiforcation for the associates. I wish I was so sure, I've lost complete respect for them. The Fifa organisation does a much better job of spreading the game.

I agree with you, Ireland has the support of the Northern and Southern governments and thousands have signed the petition online. Heaps of people will go to the Irish games in the next WC if they are allowed to qualify.
I hate to see talent like Dockrell, Stirling, Porterfield and the O'Brian brothers wasted.

For the love of the game, I hope the associates are given the chance to qualify.

This is good, I've been one of those promoting the petition against the ICC on this matter. Ljp86, you sound sure that the ICC will make a qualiforcation for the associates. I wish I was so sure, I've lost complete respect for them. The Fifa organisation does a much better job of spreading the game.

I agree with you, Ireland has the support of the Northern and Southern governments and thousands have signed the petition online. Heaps of people will go to the Irish games in the next WC if they are allowed to qualify.
I hate to see talent like Dockrell, Stirling, Porterfield and the O'Brian brothers wasted.

For the love of the game, I hope the associates are given the chance to qualify.

I imagine the ICC will cave into the associates one way or another. They'll either make the tournament a 10-team comp but qualification is required for say 9th through to the 12th ranked side or they will make the tournament a 12-team competition. I'd say the former alternative is more likely at this point in time.

If not this will just end up in the courts and I don't think the ICC will want that.

Yeah I think ICC will reviewed world cup decision. Because Ireland will play better than the Zimbabwe,West Indies, New zeland and England. So please review the decision.

Yeah I think ICC will reviewed world cup decision. Because Ireland will play better than the Zimbabwe,West Indies, New zeland and England. So please review the decision.

Woah, woah woah. Don't get carried away here, I agree that Ireland are good enough to beat Zimbabwe, West Indies and England on their day but you have to remember that these other countries have more depth than Ireland and New Zealand beat South Africa in the WC. But Ireland were extremely impressive in the WC and they showed they can challenge any team on a good day.

I hope this is reversed or at least altered. The tournament should be more 12 teams at the absolute minimum, 10 is a joke. The World Cup should be a chance for all in the spirit of other sporting codes, not just a select few.

I hope this is reversed or at least altered. The tournament should be more 12 teams at the absolute minimum, 10 is a joke. The World Cup should be a chance for all in the spirit of other sporting codes, not just a select few.

For the sake of the game .. the decision has to change. I find it horrific that the Associates are given money to develop the game, send a team to the world cup. Then win a few matches and then ICC does a complete 360. Ireland for me is no brainer .. they have shown much more improvement than what a full ICC member has in the same time(Bangladesh) .. the rest I believe need to go through some sort of qualifying effort.

For the sake of the game .. the decision has to change. I find it horrific that the Associates are given money to develop the game, send a team to the world cup. Then win a few matches and then ICC does a complete 360. Ireland for me is no brainer .. they have shown much more improvement than what a full ICC member has in the same time(Bangladesh) .. the rest I believe need to go through some sort of qualifying effort.

I agree there should be a qualification type period but the World Cup should really be a chance for all countries to to showcase what they have on cricket's biggest stage. A 10-team tournament is a big slap in the face to the Associate countries, it pretty much gives them no incentive to qualify for the 2015 edition as they won't have a chance of making it with the current laws in place.

I'd have the tournament at 16 teams although having 14 like there was earlier this year would be fair as well.

I agree there should be a qualification type period but the World Cup should really be a chance for all countries to to showcase what they have on cricket's biggest stage. A 10-team tournament is a big slap in the face to the Associate countries, it pretty much gives them no incentive to qualify for the 2015 edition as they won't have a chance of making it with the current laws in place.

I'd have the tournament at 16 teams although having 14 like there was earlier this year would be fair as well.

Agreed, the more game time these Associate nations get, the better they will become. Ireland has plenty of talent as we all know and also plenty of talented youngsters coming through the ranks.

Paul Stirling statistics are very impressive for a 20 year old. He aveages 40 in ODI's for Ireland having scored 3 centuries and 5 fifties with the most recent century against Pakistan in Belfast.

Then you have the likes of skipper William Porterfield averaging 32 with 5 centuries and 6 fifties. Porterfield is also in top form for Warickshire. Add onto them two, Ed Joyce with 1 century and 4 fifties.

In the bowling, you have Boyd Rankin as a handy medium-fast bowler and then you have George Dockrell at age 18 an off spinner with immense potential.

They have more potential than Zimbabwe from what I have seen which is a big plus seeing as they have really only developed over the past four years.

Great News! The World Cup has been changed to include 14 teams!! Bloody amazing, I am soooooooooooo happy! :D

A massive thanks to everyone that helped make this happen :)

Well, well, the ICC have done a massive backflip and decided to make the 2015 World Cup a 14-team tournament. The trade-off is the presideny of the ICC will no longer be a rotation process as it is currently.

Pakistan and Bangladesh are against the decision because they are the next countries in line to nominate for the presidency position.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/521049.html

Great news for the associates then. There will be four of them at the tournament which is great for the game.

this is good at face value but have the ICC really done a lot for the associates here?

on the plus side:
Associates get to compete in 2015. Definitely a massive plus but 4 is probably too many unless some of the sides make some great strides in next 2 years. Afghanistan could well be dark horses though so that could make it interesting.

The negative.
Less associates sides in 20/20 means less meaningful competition for them
back to 10 sides in 2019 50 over tournament albeit with a qualifying tournament. Why not 12? Seems to me to be the right balance. 14 is too many and 10 effectively makes the tournament a champions trophy with a different name.

Delighted that Ireland will have the chance to qualify for the WC in 2015 and I'll plan to be at all the games if they do make it here but it seems the ICC have once again not taken a logical step. Though I may just be overly pessimistic here....

Back