Indian Domestic Structure

mas cambios

Indian Domestic Structure

Following on from a brief debate, just what is wrong with the the Indian domestic structure?

You seem capable of producing great players so I really can't see what the problem is but then again I'm pretty clueless about it.

Can anyone fill me in on the problems\issues?

Re: Indian Domestic Structure

I have not followed Indian domestic cricket until 2007 but I feel that the problem lies in the substandard of competition in the tournament.

The Ranji Trophy Super contains 16 teams so it should be a good contest. However, many other regions and districts are represented in the Plate League and are happy just to rot there without selection or being noticed because the standard is easy and the money is very good. With the Plate League having no credibility, these people have no chance of selection for their zonal sides, nevermind the international side. This restricts the number of people significently and cuts the impact of the large population.
The solution to this particular problem lies in cutting down the money in the Plate Leagues to give incentive to get promoted.

However, this is just the tip of the iceberg. In India, bowlers are given five balls to bat or bowl as trials for junior domestic teams (at least, I think so). There is no sophisticated monitering system in school cricket or progressive system in junior levels other than junior domestic teams.

I'll post some more later, feeling quite tired right now.

Man, that seems a mess, like my hair at the moment.

India is just too big, they should get it down to 6 or 8 elite teams and let the cream rise to the top.

Boo!

i think some domestic teams are very weak.....there is not too much competetion and in some states the coaching is bad or poor players cant have it..

I always thought that one of the biggest problems was the standard of umpiring. Some reports put it at very poor which is not good for the first class game.

the umpires are very poor.... i think many dont even know the lbw rules....they dont get good salary so they dont have much interest too.

manee said:
However, this is just the tip of the iceberg. In India, bowlers are given five balls to bat or bowl as trials for junior domestic teams (at least, I think so). There is no sophisticated monitering system in school cricket or progressive system in junior levels other than junior domestic teams.
You are right manee. Some coaches give only 4-5 balls to each batsman to decide because there are so many players and they dont have time to give everyone chance and they also ask for money. the junior level system is very bad.

The BCCI is improving the system now because of threat from ICL. But they need to do a lot of work now.

I didn't realise that they were the only board not to have a website, seems mad when you think that India is considered to be IT literate and the popularity of the game in the country.

One thing that puts me off is that they want you to pay for the right to tender.

I'm sure we can raise $12,725, only to have our non refundable bid declined ;). Just about sums up BCCI for me.

Bcci are retarted. i would hardly be surprised if few very companies bid for it and they get rejected as well on some petty issue. why ask $12725 to bid? another way of making money but i doubt if they will use it for something good for indian cricket.

manee said:
I'm sure we can raise $12,725, only to have our non refundable bid declined ;). Just about sums up BCCI for me.

Do you care to start the kitty?

It's seem strange that the bid if non-refundable (a money making scam if ever I saw one) but I suppose it's there to stop jokers bidding.

I'm sure it'll go to one of the big boys like Microsoft or google.

Aside from my rant about the ICL, I think that India should have two overseas players for each team for the Ranji Trophy and Ranji One Day Trophy to up the level a tad which I feel is very low.

The biggest target should be England whose season does not coincide with the Indian Ranji seasons (Nov-Jan & Feb-Apr). Another good target will be Bangladesh who rarely get a Test and who seem to always be hungry for competition. Bangladesh have a lot of talented cricketers such as Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafe Mortaza and Mohammad Ashraful who could really add a spark to Indian domestic cricket.

An interesting statistic is that 26% of the BCCI's revenue goes to the players - I wonder how much goes to Tendulkar.:p That being said, I never had a problem with how much money the BCCI gave to players, moreso the distribution of the money more evenly throughout both international and domestic cricket, I truly wonder what percentage of revenue goes to domestic cricketers. The BCCI gives approximately $250 (if I recall correctly) to fielder of the match, bowler of the match...etc, in ODIs and T20s, would that money not be better spent paying domestic cricketers, forming free academies for deprived youths or helping purchase backroom staff (physios, fitness trainers, video analysts) for the India A team and National Cricket Academy and perhaps state associations.

Furthermore, I think the BCCI need to spend much more attention to FC cricket. It would seem that they see a player with talent and pick them, almost disregarding how they have performed in the past or recently. This issue is tipified with the selection of Ishant Sharma for the Test squad, even though he has played just 14 FC games and today alone bowled 15 no balls (this is not a one off occurance either).

Funny how people are willing to sell out a whole nation for a bit of cash in the back pocket. Surely the 20/20 champions league will help out the standard as india will want to be well represented. Also the ICL is only a good thing as its making them up their game.

To me it seems quite clear the Indian Board are spending as little as possible on the domestic scene so they're more to keep to pay their wages and thus fore selling out the nations system.

manee said:
Aside from my rant about the ICL, I think that India should have two overseas players for each team for the Ranji Trophy and Ranji One Day Trophy to up the level a tad which I feel is very low.

Do you think its worth it? Look at the English county scene - we're actively trying to reduce the numbers of non-English qualified players as they dilute the playing base too much.

It seems that India is hard place to play first class cricket anyway and I just can't see the majority of English players wanting to spend the winter there. Not when you can go to Australia, NZ or South Africa.

Almost_Austwick said:
Do you think its worth it? Look at the English county scene - we're actively trying to reduce the numbers of non-English qualified players as they dilute the playing base too much.

But India's base is too big which is a stark contrast to England who do not have enough FC quality players.

I agree that few English players will enjoy playing in India but perhaps those of Asian decent (e.g. Solanki who played Indian domestic cricket and is currently in the ICL) may enjoy travelling back 'home' so to speak. It will also be a great experience for spin bowlers to work with many FC players who are better than them and yet do not make the Indian team (Pragyan Ojha, Sunil Joshi and Piyush Chawla to name a few) and the world's best players of spin.

I agree players should go to india to play if they want to develop their spin bowling or playing spin as a batsman. But apart from that i cant see much of an attraction.

Back