IPL 2010 Season

Re: IPL 2010 Season

Two things have struck me so far.

Number one is how fantastic it is that English players are finally scoring in the IPL! Shah hit 58* on opening night, Bopara scored 56 on day two and Bopara then scored 77 on Tuesday. Morgan and Mascarenhas have both failed each time they've gone out to bat but Mascarenhas isn't first-team England material right now and Morgan probably had an off-day.

Number two is the lack of respect with which batsmen now play Shane Warne. I'll echo the words of Cricinfo by saying: "Could this be the end of an era?". As dramatic as that sounds, it could well be true as Warne isn't a shade of what he used to be and the Indian crowd most definitely didn't give him the usual massive cheer that accompanies his name.

Wish I could say the same about the South Africans. Kallis looks like he wants a big pay day in the next player auction.

AB De Villiers struggling in a Delhi outfit which have little hope without Gambhir. Parnell injured, Duminy I suspect might have a limit appearance as West Indies players play for Mumbai.

I must add that Chennai without Dhoni looks aweful. Kemp has bowled all of 6 overs this season and will struggle with this back that is the reason why has bowled limit for the Cobras.

Bangalore and Mumbai are my favourites this early in the long tournament.

Bit of a mixed bag in terms of non-Indian players I reckon. The odd few have gone well but generally they've been average. Kallis, Hayden and Murali are the stand outs so far. Tendulkar has been the local star - I'm sure others have done well (Pathan and Uthappa) but those four stick in my mind at the moment

eddiesmith;392700 said:
For 90% of players it is a holiday, how can they use it as a warmup when they dont play a game? Cameron White is a gun T20 batsman, yet had to sit back whilst Bangalore decided to play all their South Africans in every game because thats where it was played, yet this year threaten to rip up his contract if he doesnt front for the start of it? Why would he just to sit and watch again? Plus my understanding of the contracts is if you dont play you dont get the amount that is thrown around

Paul Collingwood ended up having a 2 week holiday in South Africa last year, then they had the nerve to threaten him when he said he wasnt going to play the Champions League, they didnt use him at all to get there so why should they bother?

Dirk Nannes is a prime example of how overrated the IPL is, it was probably his worst T20 season yet no one had heard of him before it? Anyone following the Big Bash knew of the leading wicket taker each season at a very low average, yet he managed only 2-3 more wickets in the IPL with 100 more games and double the average

For me and I see alot of people agree, it just drags on, its boring in the end and not many people would want that to be the only cricket on in the world for 2 months just so India can continue their power trip and say we stop all cricket for our domestic tournament, we only let 32 Internationals play, yet contract 100's, half of the 32 playing each week are probably the retired players so basically all cricket stops for 15-20 current players to play and the rest just have a holiday

As for the learning of other players, would they really learn that more being there for 8 weeks instead of 4-5?

The other thing about the IPL is I dont think the standard is that great anyway, none of the sides looked like beating any of the established state sides in the Champions League and the fielding is always appalling, amazing what some money can do for reputation

I agree, I'm not to concerned about the IPL in terms of providing better entainment when compared to establish cricket formats, such as 50 over cricket.

My main concern with IPL is the potential for the money on offer, which is only going to increase, eroding the will of test players to continue to play for their country.

It's not going to impact on Australian and English players, at least not those in the prime of their career. However, what we are likely to see is more players retiring early, citing excessive work loads, and then moving into the IPL and raking in big money.

We have seen it with Symonds, Lee, Bond and Nannes, even Hodge. Just to name a few.

That is why so many people dislike the IPL, and even fear it. Because it has the potential to erode the already fragile foundation of test cricket.

But so far no genuine top test player has retired early for the IPL, it has been players who have alot of injuries and their bodies cant stand up to a full first class season anymore or in Hodgeys case, he cant be bothered now his test dream is over

Maybe there will be bigger names in the future, but so far most of the players who do well in the IPL are not great test players anyway

The money is amazing, but like any salary capped sport, the squeeze will come and they wont be able to keep too many players who make it their only living

But the money also makes it nearly unwatchable as the ads are killers, they even have ads between balls in the middle of an over and their playing uniforms wont have any colour left soon enough :D

A true International T20 league with a window would be great, keep everybody happy, but India will never go for it

Other thing I notice with the IPL is somedays they play 2 matches, most of the time though just 1, they could cut about 3 weeks out of the tournament if they played 2 every day

Yes true Eddie, but these things normally are a gradual process.

We saw last year Chris Gayle showing up before a day or two before a test match because he wanted to play another game in the IPL and maximise his earnings.

You can't tell me that Chris Gayle had compromised his preparation for that test match because of the IPL.

The risk is with the smaller test teams who aren't paid as favourably as the Australians or the English. That is where the problem will start.

Those nations don't really have any marquee test series, teams like the West Indies, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and the West Indies mainly play their test cricket on flat wickets in front of empty stands for days on end.

What is more attractive for a young guy in that situation? Playing to the man and his dog, or going to India and playing in the IPL, earning a heap of money, playing in front of full houses with grinding Cheerleaders?

Modi is trying to create some buzz on a matter that is to be seen as a comment. I must admit in this case the ICC can make plenty of money with all the banter between England and Australia prior to an Ashes series or about South Africas choking.

One has to keep in mind that most players cannot bring the competition or team into disrepute by making comments. Saying that I think this a bit harsh on Gambhir.It is true what he said and Modi is just being Modi. I guess any commentary on the shambles that is called the Kings XI Punjab is also out of order Mr Modi?

How about that Dave Hussey catch on the ropes a few games back? Watched the highlights this morning on One HD, turned it on a little late and that was the first thing I saw. Close to one of the best catches I've seen.

Some wondered if it was a legal catch, the laws of the game obviously agree it is just like the catch against QLD earlier this year but even that one drew some complaints from QLDers about where a players last step is taken

Yeah the last step thing is a little bit 50/50. I think as long as they are above the ground and not touching over the rope at point of contact with the ball it is fine. Good awareness to be able to do that.

Back