IPL 2010 Season

mas cambios

IPL 2010 Season

Here we go then, for IPL 2010. I can actually watch the games this year so will be interesting.

First game up - Deccan Chargers vs Kolkata Knight Riders!

Not a good start for Youtube as they are experiencing technical difficulties.

Re: IPL 2010 Season

Watching on ITV 4 and they have the most annoying studio hosts. Hoggard and Hick are taking on the 'pro' duties and are bearable but Matt Smith and Mandira Bedi are poor.

Intrigued, I switched it on to watch a little. I'm afraid I have a different ITV4 and it appears that the festival season has arrived early. Wrong time of day to 'dance on the ceiling' for me :D

Going to be too bloody late a finish to watch all this now, atleast KKR is batting first, not a great start though

Knight Riders made 4/161. They were in strife early but Owais Shah and Angelo Mathews put together a great partnership and got them to a fairly competitive total.

Deccan have just started batting and are 0/3 in the first over. Charl Langeveldt struggling for accuracy.

I was watching on itv4 earlier. The hosts and "experts" even make Harsha Bhogle and Ravi Shastri look entertaining.

With Deccan at 99-1 after 11 overs, the target of 162 looked rather feeble, especially for a batting line-up which read: 1. Gilchrist 2. Laxman 3. Gibbs 4. Symonds.

Still, Kolkata ended up winning thanks to a combination of clever bowling and ridiculous shots (Rohit Sharma, what the actual f**k?). Angelo Mathews looked in wonderful form, primarily with bat but also with ball.

Also, as an Englishman, it was refreshing to see a decent IPL knock by an Englishman, namely Owais Shah who brought his team back from the brink to post a match-winning score.

Great start for the Kinght Riders but the fielding is a problem, you cannot drop catches in these short formats. I find one thing very interesting is the they played at the DY Patil stadium which the ICC have suspended but the BCCI gave it a thumbs up.

14 games per franchise ... some great games tomorrow as Bangalore have a private jet to fly Kallis and Boucher to India after the conclusion of the local tournament.. I must admit I would love a window so that all the players can play as the current WI vs Zim, England vs Bangladesh is not that great to watch, the entertainment levels are not that great.

hattrick;392558 said:
Great start for the Kinght Riders but the fielding is a problem, you cannot drop catches in these short formats. I find one thing very interesting is the they played at the DY Patil stadium which the ICC have suspended but the BCCI gave it a thumbs up.

14 games per franchise ... some great games tomorrow as Bangalore have a private jet to fly Kallis and Boucher to India after the conclusion of the local tournament.. I must admit I would love a window so that all the players can play as the current WI vs Zim, England vs Bangladesh is not that great to watch, the entertainment levels are not that great.
Why have a window for what is always called an Indian Domestic Tournament? With just 4 Internationals per team and half of those taken up by retired players, whats the point? So they stop all cricket around the world so everyone can watch an Indian domestic tournament and 100 International players can have a very well paid holiday in India and not actually play?

Eddie mate a window for domestic competitions make sense to me ... it stops all this club vs country nonsense.. Would it not be better to have all the contracted players for a side available instead of hearing about a coach not being available because his side is playing in the Sheffield Shield final?

I enjoy the fact that people mention that this is domestic competition about forget about the players that have been found in it.. Eddie I am not referring to you as an individual but there are many commentators and personalities that have done this.

Would Dirk Nannes, Yusuf Adbulla etc and all the other internationals that have made their names in the IPL have ever been discovered prior to this competition I think not..

Also it detracts from the local cricket from a sponsorship point of view, South Africas 20 over competition finished on Friday night but the commentators keep going to mention the IPL. If I paid 10 million rand for a sponsorship I would want all the media attention on my event and not some foreign tournament right. If there is an international window the players will be able to be available for their local sides and then go off to India...

The truth is that India benefits from the IPL but various countries have also benefitted from it as well ... I am interested to see that you mention that this is seen as a holiday ... South Africa is using this tournament as a form guide prior to the World T20 in the Carribean ... we have no T20 internationals prior to the tournament and the domestic competition is finished. The money that the players make is a massive reason why everybody wants to go but we forget that you share a dressing room with opposing players and can learn from them on various issues.

For 90% of players it is a holiday, how can they use it as a warmup when they dont play a game? Cameron White is a gun T20 batsman, yet had to sit back whilst Bangalore decided to play all their South Africans in every game because thats where it was played, yet this year threaten to rip up his contract if he doesnt front for the start of it? Why would he just to sit and watch again? Plus my understanding of the contracts is if you dont play you dont get the amount that is thrown around

Paul Collingwood ended up having a 2 week holiday in South Africa last year, then they had the nerve to threaten him when he said he wasnt going to play the Champions League, they didnt use him at all to get there so why should they bother?

Dirk Nannes is a prime example of how overrated the IPL is, it was probably his worst T20 season yet no one had heard of him before it? Anyone following the Big Bash knew of the leading wicket taker each season at a very low average, yet he managed only 2-3 more wickets in the IPL with 100 more games and double the average

For me and I see alot of people agree, it just drags on, its boring in the end and not many people would want that to be the only cricket on in the world for 2 months just so India can continue their power trip and say we stop all cricket for our domestic tournament, we only let 32 Internationals play, yet contract 100's, half of the 32 playing each week are probably the retired players so basically all cricket stops for 15-20 current players to play and the rest just have a holiday

As for the learning of other players, would they really learn that more being there for 8 weeks instead of 4-5?

The other thing about the IPL is I dont think the standard is that great anyway, none of the sides looked like beating any of the established state sides in the Champions League and the fielding is always appalling, amazing what some money can do for reputation

Eddie you raise some good points. As far as I understand the issue the tournament is capped as 6 weeks and they don't have 100s contracted as internationals. As to players using it as warmup for another tournament, you surely would have to have nets prior to playing right ? Yes nets are not great but it is better than nothing.

I think we should agree to disagree. I think that there was a big chance at the beginning for this thing to flop after the ICL disaster.

The problem is that the ICC have allowed the BCCI and its various competitions to dictate to the world and I cannot see any other nation being able to create the interest in the game as the Indians have. In a perfect world the IPL would have been controlled by the ICC to ensure that other nations tournaments do not get influenced by their tournament.

eddiesmith;392700 said:
For 90% of players it is a holiday, how can they use it as a warmup when they dont play a game? Cameron White is a gun T20 batsman, yet had to sit back whilst Bangalore decided to play all their South Africans in every game because thats where it was played, yet this year threaten to rip up his contract if he doesnt front for the start of it? Why would he just to sit and watch again? Plus my understanding of the contracts is if you dont play you dont get the amount that is thrown around

Paul Collingwood ended up having a 2 week holiday in South Africa last year, then they had the nerve to threaten him when he said he wasnt going to play the Champions League, they didnt use him at all to get there so why should they bother?

Dirk Nannes is a prime example of how overrated the IPL is, it was probably his worst T20 season yet no one had heard of him before it? Anyone following the Big Bash knew of the leading wicket taker each season at a very low average, yet he managed only 2-3 more wickets in the IPL with 100 more games and double the average

For me and I see alot of people agree, it just drags on, its boring in the end and not many people would want that to be the only cricket on in the world for 2 months just so India can continue their power trip and say we stop all cricket for our domestic tournament, we only let 32 Internationals play, yet contract 100's, half of the 32 playing each week are probably the retired players so basically all cricket stops for 15-20 current players to play and the rest just have a holiday

As for the learning of other players, would they really learn that more being there for 8 weeks instead of 4-5?

The other thing about the IPL is I dont think the standard is that great anyway, none of the sides looked like beating any of the established state sides in the Champions League and the fielding is always appalling, amazing what some money can do for reputation

Here, here.

eddiesmith;392700 said:

This.

Rajasthan are awful this year, all out for 92 against Bangalore. Praveen Kumar gets a hat-trick, the seventh one in the history of the tournament.

You can add the Kings XI Punjab to that list as well. Take away Owais Shah and they have not scored too many.

Sides that look decent: Mumbai Indians, Kolkota Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Bangalore (Kallis looks in fine form :))

Back