Ireland Vs England September 3

futureblackcap

Can't wait for this one!

One day we might actually get a three match series. That'd be much more interesting than five ODI's between England and Australia at the moment.

Ireland's squad:
William Porterfield (capt), George Dockrell, Trent Johnston, Ed Joyce , John Mooney, Tim Murtagh, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien(wk), Eddie Richardson, Max Sorensen, Paul Stirling, Andrew White, Gary Wilson

England's squad:
Eoin Morgan (capt), Gary Ballance, Ravi Bopara, Danny Briggs, Jos Buttler, Michael Carberry, Steven Finn, Chris Jordan, Jamie Overton, Boyd Rankin, Ben Stokes, James Taylor, James Tredwell, Luke Wright.

Come on Ireland!!!

With this game, the Scotland-Australia tie, and the Zimbabwe-Pakistan Test, I'll be camped on the computer for all of Tuesday night! Zim-Pak dodgy video stream on mute + Ire-Eng streamed on BBC Radio + Sco-Aus on Cricinfo is my likely setup; the Scotland game isn't being televised, it seems. No Scotland squad announced yet, except to say that Kyle Coetzer will sadly miss the game due to injury. Massive blow, that.

I'll be interested to see how Eddie Richardson does in his Ireland debut, as he'd be the first Irishman picked from Interprovincial Cup form. A successful first few games for him will reflect very well on the new Irish cricketing structure.

With this game, the Scotland-Australia tie, and the Zimbabwe-Pakistan Test, I'll be camped on the computer for all of Tuesday night! Zim-Pak dodgy video stream on mute + Ire-Eng streamed on BBC Radio + Sco-Aus on Cricinfo is my likely setup; the Scotland game isn't being televised, it seems. No Scotland squad announced yet, except to say that Kyle Coetzer will sadly miss the game due to injury. Massive blow, that.

I'll be interested to see how Eddie Richardson does in his Ireland debut, as he'd be the first Irishman picked from Interprovincial Cup form. A successful first few games for him will reflect very well on the new Irish cricketing structure.

Sounds like an awesome set-up haha. I'll join you there. :D

Come on Ireland and Scotland!!

Scotland has released a squad -- it's not on Cricinfo's Scotland page, but buried in the drop-down menu at the bottom of the England v Australia tour page. Without Coetzer, there's a possible debutant in Hamish Gardiner, but otherwise the squad looks pretty solid, with the exception of the 'keeper. Scotland's wicketkeeper slot has been a revolving door for some time, and now David Murphy is in this squad to succeed Craig Wallace and Matthew Cross. That needs to get sorted.

Ireland finish on 269 for 7, a more than handy total. A great hundred from captain Porterfield and some good contributions from the tail.

...and they lost with Rankin taking a few wickets and Morgan pounding them all over the place. They need to be a test nation sooner rather than later otherwise one day they won't be able to catch up with the loss of talent heading to the English counties.

I still can't believe that the ECB had the stones to let Boyd Rankin debut and Morgan captain in the same game against Ireland. That's really rubbing salt into it, isn't it? Those two, with Ravi Bopara, ended up being the match-winners for England, just to take it further.

I do think it's important for Ireland not to get too riled up about Morgan and Rankin. I would like to think that they can both return to Ireland as prodigal sons in the twilight of their respective careers to play a few Tests in the emerald green cap -- both are still in their late 20s. There were a few comments on Twitter saying that it's a credit to Irish cricket that Morgan and Rankin starred yesterday, and that's probably a good, diplomatic stance for Cricket Ireland to take. They really need to act on that, though, and I fear that most of that will have to happen in the boardrooms.

Having downloaded and perused the ICC's Full Member Criteria* regulations, I'll soon type a megapost on Ireland's status against each criterion and critiquing the criteria that the ICC might need to change. I honestly think Ireland should get Test status before the year 2020, but there are only a couple of things they have to worry abotu now, such as the number and capacity of Test-ready grounds on the island.

* Reading this criteria sheet, there seems to be an undue pretentiousness surrounding Test status, expecting budding Associates to make a bloated name for themselves before they're accepted at the table by the big boys. It reminds me of the Private vs Public school tussle between rugby union and rugby league. This might the first things that has to change.

What I can't stand is all the people posting and commenting about Irish cricket when they know little to nothing about the Irish game. The amount of times I've seen, they need or should get a first-class structure is ridiculous. You'd think that if they were that passionate about Irish cricket, then they'd know that Ireland have started up a tournament that they're hoping to make of a first-class standard soon.

I bet if the country was located in the sub-continent they would have Test status.

Now now...this comment should be in the un-popular opinions thread. ;)

I think one of the main reasons is the fact that they stuffed up with Bangladesh but that shouldn't mean they go the complete opposite and only promote teams once they've beaten every full-member nation at least once...

I do think it's important for Ireland not to get too riled up about Morgan and Rankin. I would like to think that they can both return to Ireland as prodigal sons in the twilight of their respective careers to play a few Tests in the emerald green cap -- both are still in their late 20s. There were a few comments on Twitter saying that it's a credit to Irish cricket that Morgan and Rankin starred yesterday, and that's probably a good, diplomatic stance for Cricket Ireland to take. They really need to act on that, though, and I fear that most of that will have to happen in the boardrooms.

Back