Johan Botha - Does he chuck?

jokerman

Johan Botha - Does he chuck?

In my view this bloke's action is pretty suspect on many occasions.

Opponents may well have to suffer due to the law changes to accommodate Murali but I'd be interested in what others think.

I've been told by a work colleague that he has been called. Is this correct?

Re: Johan Botha - Does he chuck?

He used to chuck he dosen't anymore though.

He had to remodel his action so I am pretty sure it would have been the first thing they fixed.

I haven't seem him bowl in a long time so it's hard to comment. He was found to 'throw' previously and as grapedo says his action was remodelled to the satisfaction of the powers that be.

However, he could well slip into old habits when tired or under pressure but this is something for the umpires/match referees to spot and report. I'm sure that if it was a problem more would be made it.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the eyes can and do play tricks from time to time. It doesn't help if you already have the suspicion/charge hanging over your head as this can at times reinforce something that may not strictly be there.

His remoddeled action is less suspect tham Murali's which is "legal" according to the ICC. So ATM I have no problems with Botha's action.

Botha definatly chucks it but, seeing as the ICC have changed the definition of chucking to allow murali to bowl his action is 'legal'

Watched him bowl very closely today and it is definetely one that needs to have an eye kept on, should be tested once a year at least.

He's a very good bowler.
You guys using the pissweak excuse of him chucking the ball is plain wrong.
He's been cleared by the ICC and can bowl his spin.

nobody chucks anymore according to ICC since they caved in to money after the Murali affair. watch how many kids in the future come out of sub continent throwing the ball off spin due to ICC being as weak as piss. biggest joke of a sporting body on the planet.:mad:

Botha has a terrible action. Young spinners learning the game will think that this rubbish is acceptable, it's a complete disgrace to the game.

whats the rule now. i think i heard that a bowler is allowed to have something like a 15 degree angle of the arm instead of it being dead straight. is this the rule that was implemented to allow murali's action to be legal?

Kram81;319054 said:
Botha has a terrible action. Young spinners learning the game will think that this rubbish is acceptable, it's a complete disgrace to the game.

I found out that he had been reported and taken out of the game until he was able to fix up his action. He basically remodeled his action. Still has got a long way to go. He looks like that he goes over the 15 degree mark and he straightens his arm.
I just had a look at the replay and you can see that he needs to have some more work to his action

Hoppus;319055 said:
whats the rule now. i think i heard that a bowler is allowed to have something like a 15 degree angle of the arm instead of it being dead straight. is this the rule that was implemented to allow murali's action to be legal?

With Murali, he actually was born with a deformed elbow meaning he had no elbow so it looked like that he was throwing the ball. He had to have surgery to fix his elbow and arm up so that he could bowl his leggies.
At the time the measurment was 10 degrees so they added another 5 degrees to make it easier.
So you are correct.

c'mon aussies;319067 said:
With Murali, he actually was born with a deformed elbow meaning he had no elbow so it looked like that he was throwing the ball. He had to have surgery to fix his elbow and arm up so that he could bowl his leggies.
At the time the measurment was 10 degrees so they added another 5 degrees to make it easier.
So you are correct.

fair enough then. but what about botha, does he have a deformed elbow also? if not, he has no excuse for his questionable action.

Really the ICC changed the rule of the angle of the arm so they didnt have to test every spinner in countries like India and Pakistan.
The rule is something like 15 degrees but is someone is inbetween 1 degree and 15 degrees, it is still a chuck whether its the rules or not. The arm must be almost perfectly straight when the ball is delivered.

Yes Botha is a chucker but he is the best economical and bowling at the death spinner in the game. The way he uses his doosra and overspinner u just cant pick it.

Johan Botha was before he was reported and banned. Since then, he has altered his bowling action to fit in with the current rules set by the ICC.

Back