Knee Pain!

Stumped

Knee Pain!

i'm Snowboarding at the moment, i usually only go once a year, but were out in Austria for two weeks.

The Snowboarding part is fine, but i find that its putting alot of strain on my left knee, which is my leading knee for turning and where the most pressure goes!

i seem to be in some discomfort after boarding, but it feels mainly like my knee cap align ment, it hurts to straighten my leg from bent or twist it under its own weight. it almost feels like my knee cap is being pulled to one side, and when it reaches a certain point of straightening its ok.

note when you use the snowboard on flat you leave your leading foot clipped in (my left ) and scoot along, also on the lift the boards are straight but your knee twists as its stuck to the board?

any ideas? liz or Micoach? could i do excersice to strengthen the opposite side of my knee to straighten up my knee muscles?

Re: Knee Pain!

This is a common problem Stumped. It sounds as if you have a muscle imbalance in your quads. One of them is weak and the petella is being drawn up in that direction; usually medially. Is this the case?

This is not caused by snowboarding but the increased stress you are placing on this joint at the moment has made the situation worse. It is known as Patello-femoral Pain Syndrome and can be reversed if you look after it... RICER !!! If you don't look after it, it can become degenerative.

I would imagine this was caused by your alignment when cycling. There is little you can do at the moment but when you return home, you need to isolate the weak quad, possibly the vastus medialis oblique, and then we can work on some exercises for you.

Sorry if this is not what you really want to hear at the moment but try to have a great time anyway :(

Liz,

thanks its as i suspected, i had it when i was younger, i used to cycle alot and my leg muscles are very well built (but apparantly imbalanced) i actually wore the cartilidge out form my knees years ago!

what can i do, ive got a week of snowboarding left and dont want to ruin my cricket season?

is there anything i can start doing now?

and what does Ricer mean?

is it also common on your clutch foot!??? is that what you were implying by ricer lol? if so i certainly do notice it whilst driving as well!

Stick with RICE for now, we can cover RICER, MICE and PRICE later:

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

The most important thing to do is make sure your knee is braced.

Ice it when you are resting and keep your leg up on a cushion. You could also take some ibuprofen to reduce any inflammation.

Whatever you do, you will make the situation worse but I know there is no point in me telling you not to snowboard :)

Yes, a dodgy knee is very common if you have a manual transmission, sadly, your next car [and following cars] may need to have an automatic transmission. In this case, though, it is likely to be something else. Not that that helps as it will still be degenerative :(

It is also common with right handed pace bowlers.

Though not cause by it, it will definitely impact on your keeping if you abuse your knee too much now.

ok i get the R,I, and E what can i do for compression?

ive always worn Knee protectors under my trousers anyway, which are very handy and reduce any impact should i fall.

I have to admit its been better, ive been watching my knees on the lifts and keeping them straight and not scooting along on the board as much as possible. Oh and trying to go go as fast as i can down the mountain!

Ive been thinking of a Auto for a while now, although only 25 i have covered thousands of miles in manual cars since i was 17. and i do like the Audi DSG Automatics...... :)

Have a look at Mueller Pro Style Hinged Knee Brace (deluxe) - Knee Supports & Braces - Supports & Braces

Seriously consider it for snowboarding etc. Once the cartilage is worn, there is little you can do for it. As with all things, prevention is better than cure :)

It is possible that there are two things going on here; the imbalance and a bit of arthritis. I would have to watch you to be sure but some of your problem may be the 'well built' leg muscles; they can compromise alignment. Keep checking your posture and you should be fine for the rest of the week.

As for the twin clutch transmission.... o to be so young :D. I used to live life in the fast lane; I assure you, you miss far more than you will ever know :)... slow down tiger!

Unfortunately I am a passive sports car enthusiast... been through the Spitfires, Roadsters, Morgans, Lotuses, Jaguars... just as well I am not fussy about the barnet... not to mention putting up the manual 4/4 canvas in a storm :(. We have been in enforced automatics for some time. Fortunately the XF is sweet; much more suitable for a lady of my standing... TIDY! :p

PS I'm old fashioned... hence the 'twin clutch transmission'. Give me ten years and I shall catch up :D

PPS You should know better than to go off topic :p

well today was my last day boarding, and fingers crossed my knee has been ok last few days, apart from sleeping awkwardly at night on it.

And touch wood, no broken bones this year. so i'd call it sucessful trip in all. And the Girlfriend accepted my proposal so it cant be all bad! :)

:) ***** CONGRATULATIONS! ****** :)

O dear, I hope you did not propose to enter the World Line Dancing Championships :(

nope it was a genuine mountain top proposal with a diamond and everything! (im now a expert in the 4 C's)

Stumped;330030 said:
well today was my last day boarding, and fingers crossed my knee has been ok last few days, apart from sleeping awkwardly at night on it.

And touch wood, no broken bones this year. so i'd call it sucessful trip in all. And the Girlfriend accepted my proposal so it cant be all bad! :)

Congratulations Stumped. @|

well my Knee pain is gone! must have been the snowboarding and pressures that it causes?

Question liz?

is Skiing better on the knees than snowboarding

Not necessarily...

They both have their own problems and injuries. It would have more to do with your technique than the activity.

If I was you, I'd take up pilates instead :D

I have been having pains in both knees for 6 months. I still jog 30km weekly despite the pain . Have the theatre sign, I think it is the patello femoral pain syndrome. I got special orthotics that have helped a little. I know i should rest do quadriceps exercise and take up swimming (i am hopless at it) or cycling (too many punctures). I also hate stationary bikes. I might have a problem wiyh my Q angle as my knees face inwards with some bowing of the tibiae. I admit I should see a physio but were I live and I have talked to a few that are into running and football, they do not seem to have much of a clue. By the way i am 40 yrs old,otherwise healthy. Pain decreases but never stops during the day. No other sign of swelling or warmth in the joints. All yours.

It is unlikely to be your Q angle, unless you have child bearing hips, but I would need to see a photo to be sure. I would love to see a video of your gait.

Have your knees always turned inwards?

It sounds like you could do with a visit to a remedial sports massage therapist; some soft tissue release would do you a world of good. If you go down this route, make sure they are well qualified and experienced.

You are right, you really should be resting and swimming would be great. Pain is your body's way of saying STOP, there's something wrong. You really should not ignore it. It sounds like some arthritis is setting in too. If so, you can stop or slow down its progress but any damage already done is irreversible.

I can't wait for the start of the season to get more active! I've been pretty lazy of late and find it hard to actually go running or excercise ! Unless it's cricket ! ; )

I live in malta. Do you meen a physiotherapist or a massage/masseuse or whatever. By the way also suffered from shin splints, one stress fracture of the tibia and plantar fascitis. I do not give up quickly even though i am a hopeless athlete. I had a physio who is into rehabilitation, who confirmed i am knock kneed and a podiatrist for the insoles. I have seen pictures when i was young and the knees were the same, with possibly tendency to over extend at the knee joint. My problem is identifying someone I trust. Before I thought everyone went through pain while jogging, so i took it for granted. You know the no pain no gain which i know is wrong.

sadspinner;341851 said:
...Do you meen a physiotherapist or a massage/masseuse...

Neither... Triton Sport - Malta > Sport > Sports Massage is the sort of thing I mean. I do not know this set up so do not recommend them but they are worth a look... and they are a lot cheaper than me ;)

If the therapist is good [and he seems to have a good pedigree], he will be able to sort out all your problems, including your scar tissue, and get you runnning better and faster :) He will also be able to work with your hypermobility.

However, due to your idiopathic genu valgum [knock knees], you will be susceptible to injury and chronic knee issues. This will also be the cause of your onsetting osteoarthritis as your cartilage will be worn unevenly.

If you do decide to have a look, please let us know how you get on.

Back