Knee Pain!

Re: Knee Pain!

Thank you Ms ward. That was quick. I think with all the injuries I have no option but to take a look. I get very nervous not exercising even though i do not particularly like jogging. Do not worry i never experienced a runners high probably due to the pains.

Any ideas whether cycling strengthens all the quadriceps if you use the old style toe clips. Also does it help recovery from patellofemoral pain syndrome and patellar tendonitis. Which soft tissue injuries are common with cycling?

Firstly, most cycling injuries are caused by ill fitted bikes or poor cycling technique.

Similarly, the muscles worked are restricted by technique.

If the cyclist has a good technique, they will be working quads, hams and calves; glutes in certain positions. If poor technique, there will be an imbalance.

Cycling does not directly help recovery from pf pain and can make it much worse if there is bad form.

The most common cycling injuries involve the head :) followed by the knee... pf, chondromalacia, osteoarthritis, cramps, strains, sprains, IT band, archillies tendon, plantar fascia, piriformis and other structures involved when falling off ;).

Having said all that... it is a great form of exercise :D.

I presume cycling technique would be better though with toe clips or cleats than with a normal pedal.

I have loads of short sharp hills ranging from 300m to 1.2km at elevations ranging from 5 to 12 percent inclines. So i am usually in low gears and spinning rather than pushing hard gears.

Also would eg a 1 hour jog equate to approximately 105 minutes of cycling. I feel much fresher after the cycling despite the hills. I presume it is because you can freewheel the downhills.

I also tried water/acqua jogging when i had shin splints. Found it very boring, besides people thinking I was a bit potty. I tried like intervals to keep the intensity up,but despite a flotation belt i think my form is poor when acqua jogging. Are you supposed to move forward as I did, but presume this should be minimal. What is your take on this form of training during rehabilitation. Sorry if it is in the wrong thread.

On the subject of knees does anyone know which specific warm ups are good for the knees as mine have recently become a bit creaky or I'm suffering injury paranoia after my recent and on-going plantar faciitis? I've just noticed they seem a bit stiff in the mornings and feel a bit sore after a game. The are is just below the knee cap.

Sounds like first stage of patella tendonitis.

Usually caused by tight hamstrings and calf muscles.

You need to strengthen the quads and stretch the hamstrings and calf muscles.

Ice after activity.

If you did not get round to visiting a S&RM Therapist, probably now is the time to do so :D.

Let us know how you get on.

I've come to join in hijacking this thread :D.

Seems the amount of sport I play is catching up with me as I get that touch older, bad technique seems to actually matter now! ;)

My left knee is startingto get a little achy now pretty much constantly. If I were to stand on my left toe and push my weight down onto my knee (as happens when you walk, even more so when running) it hurts in a vertical straight line deepish in the top front of the knee. It's also a little sore to touch just above the knee cap and down onto/behind it.

It seems to be an overuse injury I think, it is gradually getting worse and worse as I keep using it (and don't worry I am slowing the exercise down for a while!). I think it's caused from my volleyball, I do a lot of powerful vertical jumps time and time again, plus my baseball tends to twist it a bit during the pitch (although it is not twisting that hurts). Maybe I came down on it wrong one time in volleyball and it's getting sorer as I use it?

Any recovery tips and/or tips for easing the slightly greater pain just after exercise? I know you'll have some :)

It sounds like an issue with your quads Boris.

When you stretch them... as I am sure you do after every session... it is essential that you make sure your knees are close together [touching].

PS: Congrats on the new job!

Liz Ward;409302 said:
It sounds like an issue with your quads Boris.

When you stretch them... as I am sure you do after every session... it is essential that you make sure your knees are close together [touching].

PS: Congrats on the new job!

Thank you and thank you :D

So anything different I should do in the mean time? Rest up a bit?

Certainly take it a little easier, but hey! Life's too short... live it :D.

It is so important to warm up the quads properly prior to activity... including walking up and down stairs... and stretch after. Ice if there is too much discomfort afterwards.... perhaps jump as little as possible until it is better.

Back