Knicking the Ball

henry

Knicking the Ball

Hi guys. I just started playing c grade from playing 17's and i have a problem knicking the ball to the keeper after a while. can anyone help?

Re: Knicking the Ball

Work on keeping your concentration up, thats why bradman was so good, he was always concentrating. He wouldnt give his wicket away, he would have to be genuinely beaten, and he backed himself to win that contest everytime.

Just keep your concentration, dont slash or play the wrong shot at good balls.

Its easier said than done, I have the same problem once I reach 40-odd, just gotta keep focus. Hope that helps, if its a technique issue, Im sure someone will help with that.

I agree with breeno, could be a concentration thing. If it's technique then you probably would have seen this issue cropping up before. Did you ever have trouble getting caught behind in u-17s? Maybe it's just the case that the bowling is faster/better at c grade and it will take a little time to get used to.

There are some drills you can do to help with concentration. I seem to remember one where someone gives you throwdowns with different coloured balls, and you have to call the colour before you play the shot. Or sometimes you have to play the ball differently - i.e. white balls need to be defended or left, red ones need to be attacked. This should help you to really watch the ball (which makes it more likely you'll middle it), and it helps to switch the brain on before the ball is bowled. Worth a try anyway, I'm sure others will have some suggestions too,

best of luck,
Ed.

Concentration is one the issues as mentioned. It would also help if you can question the non-striker or even umpire after getting out to see what you're doing. It could be that you get lured into chasing a wide one or that you're being let down by bad footwork or shot selection (possibly caused by fatigue etc).

a couple of reason players give nicks

1 they push the bat at the ball stiff armed and ridgid. make sure that your hands have a soft grip on the bat not hard.

2 make sure that your footwork takes your head toward the line of the ball. this enables you to better judge the line of the ball and minimise nicks.

hope this helps.

Swing harder, the harder you swing the faster the edges go, the less chance you get caught out. :p

Nah, its just a concentration issue in most cases as said before. I've always found practising shots before the match helpful in avoiding edges as it gets you into the frame of mind to bat.

Concentration again haha

Make sure your footwork is good, overexaggerate if you must
Dont play away from your body, if it moves after you have commited to the shot dont follow it, leave it if you possibly can

you say you have a problem knicking them after a while does this mean your in and then knicking them, is the ball still new?

Have you tried just leaving the ball- if its outside off, and you're just playing a dead bat shot anyway, why not raise the bat and let it through to the keeper a few times!

Once you've got used to what the ball's doing then you can start to use the bat! ;)

Back