Kookaburra Balls in the GCA

cheer_cheer

Kookaburra Balls in the GCA

For the first time in a number of years the GCA started to use Kookaburra balls for the first time over Platypus balls. What are people's initial reactions to them. From my use the turf balls appear to be fair inferior compared to last season's Platypus with the ball pretty much loosing all it's shine around the 20-30th over, even on wickets with plenty of grass. I have heard the hard wicket balls maybe better ?? What are other thoughts on how they are stacking up as I believe Platypus last season were streets ahead ??

Re: Kookaburra Balls in the GCA

The 4-pieces are no good. Absolutely ripped to shreds after about 40 overs, and that's on Godfrey Street, which is just about the lushest outfield in Geelong at the moment. I'd hate to see what they look like after 85 on some of the rougher grounds.

The 2-piece balls are tuf-pitches, which are specifically designed for bad outfields so they may hold up a bit better I guess.

Also, I seem to remember a collective uproar on the forum last season when they chose to stay with the Platypus balls for 08/09 :p

a for effort;375416 said:
The 4-pieces are no good. Absolutely ripped to shreds after about 40 overs, and that's on Godfrey Street, which is just about the lushest outfield in Geelong at the moment. I'd hate to see what they look like after 85 on some of the rougher grounds.

The 2-piece balls are tuf-pitches, which are specifically designed for bad outfields so they may hold up a bit better I guess.

Also, I seem to remember a collective uproar on the forum last season when they chose to stay with the Platypus balls for 08/09 :p

I reckon in the past the Platypus balls had needed a lot of improvement and it had happened. I think Kookaburra balls were always thought to have been better because they use them for test cricket. Surely the balls we are getting are not the same as they use for the test matches !! The only good thing so far about Kookaburra were at least they gave us decent turf stumps this year, the Platypus ones were terrible to say ther least.

they are shit, they hold there shape heaps better than platapus but they loose there shine very quick!! sometimes after 20 overs if salts in bowling! haha, the only good thing about them is that they reverse quiet easy!!

the 2 piece balls are terrible.
we had our ball in juniors split down the seam inside 35 overs and they weren't hitting the ball hard

other bloke i know ho played turf in melbourne for years always told me kookaburra balls were heaps better than platypus. they couldnt beleive that we didnt use kooka, starnge that now we have them coz every club on turf always wanted them, and they are crap. there is definitely better balls avail, at what cost though. maybe we ask some melb guys in other formus.

I would have been one of the voices slating the Platypus balls, but they are better than the Kookas we're using now. Kookas generally do lose the shine after 25-30 overs, even the top grade balls. However, these balls are not top grade balls. I would disagree with Deano, the ball we used 2nd dig yesterday was like a flying saucer after 30 overs.

AB1;375449 said:
I would have been one of the voices slating the Platypus balls, but they are better than the Kookas we're using now. Kookas generally do lose the shine after 25-30 overs, even the top grade balls. However, these balls are not top grade balls. I would disagree with Deano, the ball we used 2nd dig yesterday was like a flying saucer after 30 overs.

you would!! :D

IMHO -

Platypus turf balls held up better than the Kookas we've been given this year.

Platypus "Googly Longlife" and Kooka "Tuf Pitch" are about on a par.

Platypus "club special" are heaps better than Kooka Red King (often used in the one-day sections and/or juniors).

Be careful what you wish for. For years many have slated the GCA Platypus deal and wished for Kookas - now we have them, and they're not all that good!!!

Wonder what the bloke formerly on GCA Management who moved heaven and earth for Thompsons (Kookaburra) to win them the GCA rights thinks of them at the moment?

Agree with Daz - the Platypus-supplied stumps were like balsa-wood.

The turf balls are absolute crap, no shine after 15-20 overs at this stage ball looks like it came off the ARK... after 40 odd overs (around Tea) looks like Jesus Christ just finished his spell and by 85 overs well the ball looks like it was spat out of the volcano that shaped our world as we know it today. :eek:

I have played cricket with beach balls that are harded than this crap and a punched beach ball keeps it shape better. :cool:

The GCA should get onto Kookaburra for the quality as they do have excellent cricket balls, I know that most clubs would pay a little more for quality.

I'm going to take photo's of the ball at different stages eg; drinks, tea, drinks & end with overs completed and report back to GCA in a report each game from here on. So they can make informed decisions.

All captains should do this as the umpires can only report on the match.

What are ya thoughts everyone, captains to submit report with photo to send the message (I know a little extra work but phones have cameras and a short paragraph would be all that is need.

I know it wont change the ball from kookaburra but at least it gives the GCA some hard evidence to take back to kookaburra. ;)

In light of issues that have arisen from a similar problem with the supply of cricket balls in another league, can I remind all members to stick to the facts when talking about the Kookaburra balls.

Any posts that fall into the realms of fantasy or contain names/allegations will be removed.

This is a friendly warning - please heed it.

It is pretty clear from all these comments that not many people are happy at all with the kookaburra balls we have. The only good thing people have said is in regards to being able to reverse the ball after about 20 overs !! From speaking with Ron Sluggett from the GCA (he now looks after the balls) on the weekend he commented that he was not impressed about the balls but had not had one complaint from any clubs about them, in fact the only correspondance he got back was one club saying how good they were !! A good reason for him to have a look at some of the thoughts on the current ball that he may be able to use. I like Hard Hitters idea about doing that but am not sure if all clubs would go to that length. A day in the life of a kookaburra ball !!

cheer_cheer;375772 said:
It is pretty clear from all these comments that not many people are happy at all with the kookaburra balls we have. The only good thing people have said is in regards to being able to reverse the ball after about 20 overs !! From speaking with Ron Sluggett from the GCA (he now looks after the balls) on the weekend he commented that he was not impressed about the balls but had not had one complaint from any clubs about them, in fact the only correspondance he got back was one club saying how good they were !! A good reason for him to have a look at some of the thoughts on the current ball that he may be able to use. I like Hard Hitters idea about doing that but am not sure if all clubs would go to that length. A day in the life of a kookaburra ball !!

Despite being told otherwise I still highly doubt that these are the balls VCA and Test Level use, surely Kookaburra would have another ball which is a step above the one we are currently using?

If so, apart from costing, why can't we use them?

thommy_rissole;375774 said:
Despite being told otherwise I still highly doubt that these are the balls VCA and Test Level use, surely Kookaburra would have another ball which is a step above the one we are currently using?

If so, apart from costing, why can't we use them?

They aren't. Someone is telling porky pies Sean!!!!

dont let the batsmen smack it so hard:D

ill go out on a limb here and make a prediction that may or may not be true, would like your feedback though. Kookaburra are supplying the ball that the GCA has requested, the GCA request this particular ball coz they get a better rebate, they wont tell the clubs that, but dont be surprised. it is pure fact that kooaburra make great balls, so why dont the GCA have the balls that other turf competitions across victoria use. I hope i'm wrong and kookaburra have just dished out some crap balls which im sure they can and will fix. The GCA is too good of a competition to be using sub standard balls as it will effect the quality of cricket played. if the clubs say notihng the GCA will sit idle and do nothing and assume that all is well.

There are a number of things you can do as a competition.

Firstly, as hardhitter suggests, try to document what is happening with the ball during games. Also, note things such as the condition of the wicket, weather and number of overs.

Make sure you keep all balls that have underperformed - don't use them for practice for example. Kookaburra will probably want to examine the balls in order to determine what the fault is/was.

Get the captains to put a report in, stating exactly what the problems are. Is the ball going soft, too hard, swinging too much/not at all and so on. This will also help Kookaburra get to the problem quickly.

The worst thing you can do is quiet as it'll be assumed that everything is ok. No cricket manufactuer wants to ship sub standard goods, not least balls for a league as it reflects badly on them and their equipment in general.

Interesting to read these comments which are generally very negative about the Kookaburra balls. I play in a different comp, which is a hard-wicket association. We started an agreement with Platypus some years ago (6 years I think) and 4 rounds into our two-year agreement we had so many complaints aobut the Platypus balls just not lasting the distance. Many clubs were complaining about the balls splitting after 30 or 40 overs. Sorry, but I can't remember which balls we were using.

After two years we went with Kookaburra and we're now into our 4th season with them. We have no problems with the Kooka balls at all. We use the Tuf Pitch in the lower senior grades, and Colt in the junior grades and the Club Match 4-piece in the top two grades.

The Club Match isn't their premium ball. I think the Regulation is used in Premier cricket but not sure what is used in Shield and Test matches. We don't use the Red King at all, but I have heard complaints about it from time to time.

AB1;375777 said:
They aren't. Someone is telling porky pies Sean!!!!

first class and international use "kooka turf" ( not available to buy)
high level grade cricket use "kookaburra regulation" (rrp from $65-$70)
"club match" is for lower standard turf cricket and range from $55-$58 (depending on sponsorship negotiations and have a differrent interior composition)
so what balls are you guys using down there?? and how much are they costing you??

bringbackdeano;375938 said:
I play in a different comp, which is a hard-wicket association. We use the Tuf Pitch in the lower senior grades, and Colt in the junior grades and the Club Match 4-piece in the top two grades.

You use a four piece on hard wicket?:confused:

Back