Last person to post on this thread wins 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Last person to post on this thread wins 7

I myself haven't fully knocked in my own bat, rather it is half done by the people in at the sports shop (what an annoying job that must be) and I do the rest. Also bats are so well knocked in during manufacturing half the time it's not necessary, just superstions make us believe that the ball isn't coming off the bat well, when in fact we just didn't middle it. Depends on the brand and the make though, some aren't knocked in at all, some need a lot more.

But then again it's always best to have a rock solid bat. Just a random rambling...

I like to sand down my bat lightly around the edges after I have used it so the cherries are all in the middle, and the ones around the outside are lightly sanded away :p

Ah, the old Under 12's trick; where you get the ball mallet before you go in, so you have the face of your bat covered in 'cherries' indicating that you've made 'heaps' of runs. :D Yet, most cherries come about as a result of the ball flashing across the blade, so a cleanly hit ball does not generally mark the blade as much...

To be honest I was going to use it last week, however, the responsible side of me thought otherwise. Such a pesky thing common sense is...

It depends on what bat and what balls you have as well. My Kookaburra Genesis Seems to never have cherries on it, whereas my Kahuna which has a white blade gets a lot and goes completely red if I don't sand it back. I also play a lot of late cuts so I tend to have a lot of streaky red lines up the middle of it.

What has been your favourite bat over the years?

I've only ever had one bat at a time, my favourite bat would have to have been my Kookaburra Sword Limited Edition that I unfortunately parted ways with last season (R.I.P.).

Fingers crossed my new Kookaburra Blade will serve me just as well...

Yeah, I only have the one bat I use at a time, but I have decided that rather then do what I used to and play a bat to the end of it's life, I would stop when it started looking a bit shabby and get a new one if I had the money.

My Kahuna was the best bat I have had, I have an older Genises now, looking on maybe getting a new one soon. My best bats get a retirement present of becoming a trophy of sorts.

IMO Kookaburra's cannot be beat.

Ever since I got my first Kookaburra in about Under 11's, I haven't had anything else since... And the hopefully the day I buy a Gray-Nicolls bat will never come, what snot heaps they are, there's no craftsmanship in them, just a chunk of wood with stickers and a handle!

I would like to suggest not to go for a County bat, because of the bad effects of it on me.

As a prize, every week man of the match gets a $30 voucher for a sports shop, and then at the end of the year best player of the team gets a $300 voucher. I got two man of the match awards and I just managed to win the $300, but was touch and go with another guy who should have gotten it. So I played fair and kept it all and didn't share it :p.

I decided that I needed a new bat. At the time I hadn't found the wonders of Kookaburras, and had a Gray Nic, so I decided to stay within the Gray Nicholls family tree and buy a County. So with my $360, plus $100 of my own, I bought a County bat by the name I can't remember. It was a really good bat in the store, knocked it in, took it down to the nets and it seemed as good a bat as any Kookaburra could throw at you. I was happy with it, for a $450 dollar bat, it better have been. I normally don't go past the $150 range honestly. The shop assistant said, and after some general research, that this County bat was the best in the store.

So I played my first game with it, actually hit a six and I thought I would be in love with this bat. Second game, hit a four, then the rest of the balls I played were coming out off completely dead. I couldn't hit it halfway to the boudary. I played a ball intentionally of the top of the bat and found that was still fine. I thought it was something mysterious like not having knocked it in properly or something.

Third game came along, after some batting in the nets I thought the bat was fine, but couldn't really tell without seeing how far the ball went, the sound was still off though. Thought it would be good enough. First ball went straight for off stump, defended it and felt such a vibration that I almost dropped the bat. Looked down and there is a complete shear widthways across my bat. It came from pretty much middle out to the outside of the bat in a big tear. I was so amazed that I almost didn't get myself another bat. Have seen it happen before, but very, very rarely.

I returned it to the store saying it must be faulty, they said no returns. I took it instead to County itself, wrote to them and they said I must have used it improperly. So now I have a $450 bat that is only good for firewood, and I bet it would be terrible at that.

As you can see I love telling stories, but this one has a moral. Never buy a County bat!

I've never really had an issue with County bats, however I've always looked at them as being a cheap alternative so I suppose I've never really expected much of them. They were always the stock bats in the junior cricket kits due to their affordability. To be honest I thought even the top of the range County bats were still under $400.

…Gray-Nicolls bats on the other hand, are over-priced chunks of wood; devoid of craftmanship, that then have had stickers and a handle attached (along with a $600+ price tag).

I did notice that you have a tendency to set off on your own tangent when you get going. ;)

County has a lot of cheap bats, but then the top level Shane Warne stuff :p

The only Gray Nic I have had did it's job, but I was young then so hitting a four was the biggest achievement I had at that stage.

And tangent? That's my middle name!

Yeah, I remember spending hours on end looking through the Greg Chappell magazines when I was younger, so much so that if I ever needed a new piece of equipment I would've been able to identify exactly what I wanted and how much it cost. And I always remember the County range was fairly limited and that the top-of-the-range bats were generally between $350-$400 price range, however that was a few years ago now. Bats have increased substantially in price, (good old Kookaburra, not so much) so I suppose a $450 County would not be unrealistic.

I suppose the fact that we've kept this thread going with predominantly only two posters is a testiment to both our abilities to be able to construct a conversation on anything cricket-related...

Here I was thinking you had made some friends in the real world or something like that. How naïve of me!

Anyway, back to business...

Well I can't get on here as often for a little while, so I hope I don't relinquish any more of my last post crown to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back