Last person to post on this thread wins 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Last person to post on this thread wins 7

Yep I like the formats we play.

That 141 overs was just crazily boring really, I was at 8 so I was sitting there for a day and a bit. There was a double century in there. Our number three, can't tell you his name yet but he's playing for low Qld sides. That innings got his selection assured. Everyone got a piece though, no other centuries. I got 30 something in that game. One of my favourite as captain to be able to win that game. We were playing consecutive games against them and absolutely flogged them. We were top of the table by a long way so I told the boys to just go out there and see if we can get the record total. We missed that by a hundred and something though. Still bowled them out in the 40 overs we had left.

I've always liked the thought of playing unlimited overs too... Unfortunately I might be the only person I know of that thinks likewise. 141 overs and you thought it was boring, how do you think the other side would've felt...

I'm assuming you play on turf wickets?

Rampant;373480 said:
I've always liked the thought of playing unlimited overs too... Unfortunately I might be the only person I know of that thinks likewise. 141 overs and you thought it was boring, how do you think the other side would've felt...

I'm assuming you play on turf wickets?

It takes a LOT to make me bored in any cricket situation. I got bored at about 3pm and started playing cards. There were just too many partnerships!

The other team just set the fielders around the boundary and the bowlers just stood there and threw the ball pretty much in the end. They were so tired by the end of the day from everything the spinners were at about walking pace.

Too bad we don't dominate like that anymore. Must be cause The Boris isn't playing and captaining this season :p

Yes we play on one of the four turf wickets in town, then there are other ones in different towns all around that we play away for. Only one is Gabba grass artificial.

Yeah, I played all my junior cricket on synthetic. Since then I've been on turf, and to be honest, I could never go back...

Please don't tell me you were playing cards by yourself?

What exactly is Gabba grass?

Rampant;373531 said:
Yeah, I played all my junior cricket on synthetic. Since then I've been on turf, and to be honest, I could never go back...

Please don't tell me you were playing cards by yourself?

What exactly is Gabba grass?

Yeah, I played all my juniour on that too. I don't like it at all, especially the way the concrete underneath warps on one of our ground due to the ground being created over an old rubbish dump so it's still breaking down underneath. I have gotten out so many times playing my second favourite shot the pull by being bowled about halfway down off stump because the short ball didn't bounce.

No I wasn't playing cards by myself, winning 500 with the number 11, 10 and 9 as we knew we wouldn't be in for another day.

Gabba grass is just the brand name we use up here for synthetic grass. The company modeled it scientifically off the Gabba's field and wicket, so it is good for seamers and doesn't spin so much. Plus where we are the humidity is often around 90% when we are playing so the swing at times is incredible. No wonder there are very few spin bowlers in this area.

So basically Gabba grass is exactly like every other synthetic pitch material ever created!

I'm just imagining how well it would go down with the captain if we were playing a game of 500 while the team was batting, however, it could be worse. I've seen a man open in the 3rd XI, get dismissed, disappear down to the pub for the innings and come back in time for the second innings...

The way this thread is going I could nearly take a leaf out of Schwabby's failed thread "who will post next?" and say Boris will post next, as we seem to be the only two who have nothing better to do in their lives than to try and win this thread.

The thing is I am, or was, the captain so I was the one who started the game... I was paying attention. I normally sit there and count their scores in my head and work out run rates and stuff, but that game it was just impossible. It takes a lot to make me bored like that.

Don't think of it like that, think of it as: We are the only two commited enough to dedicate ourselves to a good cause.

A cause I fully intend to champion. I suppose we could be out there making the world a better place, but this will just have to do for the time being...

Count their scores in your head? Wouldn't it be more satisfying to just score then?

We are making the world a better place by keeping me off the streets :p

I mean counting the runs they get per over or per bowler in different time periods. Especially in one dayers I like to make sure I get on top of things early. I like to keep the runs to balls left ratio even so that way we don't get behind early in the game. So I make sure everyone is doing as they should, the established player gets the strike and nobody gets bogged down. If someone keeps going for the big shot but doesn't make it I call for the physio :)p joking) and get a message to them to tell them almost exactly what to do.

I like control.

So I assume you're a mongrel of a captain when the side's in a bit of trouble. :D

I still think scoring is one of the most satisfying things you can do though to be honest, for one, you have a complete understanding of the progress that the game's making and you know exactly what's going on...

And if there's only one umpire, you avoid the risk of having to do square leg in the lower grades. ;)

Yeah I'm a bit of a nuisance captain but everyone likes me. That's how I got to be a captain so young, because my father did some very good things for the club so the older guys that are normally captaining told me that I was suddenly the captain out of nowhere.

It was hard to adjust to being the youngest newest member that got bossed around to being the captain in just over a season and a half though. Nobody would listen at first, until we won the championship for the first time in years and they all started respecting me, although it was really the doings of a couple of miracle players.

I haven't been the best, but I have organised drills and training and gone through strategies and field placements. We always end up with run chases where in the last ten overs we don't have many wickets left but the few at the end only have 20 to chase down from 60 balls. That and it has really helped my off spin because I get to set my own fields and bowl myself when I want. With a bit of help from myself I became the highest wicket taker last year. I would have easily gotten your wicket! :p

I have a tendency to get myself out, particularly against little off-spinners such as yourself... :p

I've only ever faced two spinners in my life that I really had difficulty facing... And they were bowling in tandem! They were high-class spinners though, about the only off-spinners I've ever faced that could consistently get the ball to turn and bounce. ;)

Well guess who your talking to?

The Boris gets more turn and bounce then you would believe. I keep going for so many byes because our world class keeper just can't predict them. He's a better keeper then anyone Australia has ever played. ;)

So are we going to have an unjustified 'who is the better cricketer' argument? :D

Hahaha I don't see how since it is impossible to tell, but why not.

Brag away and see who can brag the best.

Hahahahaha I was expecting that.

Cause you know I would win.

THE Boris.

Out of curiousity, what is the name of the league you play in then? (Let's not go ahead and claim that you play in the QLD Bulls 2nd XI either). I'm not too fussed about your club... :D

I'm not too sure about all the ranking with grade's even where I play, but it's A Grade for club, with stints in both reserve and C Grade. If it wasn't the shoulder injury I suffered earlier this year I may have been playing in the next stage up, grade level for the district with the Sunshine Coast Scorchers, if I kept my form up which I doubt I would of. I captain the C Grade team and have captained the A Grade team for half a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back