Last person to post on this thread wins 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Last person to post on this thread wins 7

They must be a clever bunch of blokes Boris. Or is that because Telstra choose not to service backwater areas?

Telstra does this area quite well actually. Got a good deal from them at half price because they had to come out and upgrade wiring so we could get broadband so they cut the price as an apology sort of thing.

Expressing my thanks on a cricket forum.

There are representative grades up to U19 for the region, which are different from seniors.

They then have C Grade, Reserve Grade, A Grade, District Sunshine Coast competition, what is called Grade (don't know the proper name), and then the various state levels in that order. I used to play A Grade for Coolum Cricket Club verging on full time selection into the Coolum District team after playing half a season with them, but have since moved to another area and now back to C Grade in the Gympie region just West of Sunshine Coast. I like the move, but not the cricket club.

In this region there are 5 clubs to my memory, they all go to A Grade, then up to Gympie Gold that travels to the Sunshine Coast to compete there against some very decent competition. Then that team, too, also goes up to the same 'Grade' team the Scorchers, of which Nofke originated as everyone tells everyone around there. I have played against Nofke on a couple of occasions when he has come back down after one of his injuries or simply home for the weekend for whatever reason. Good fun.

There is a short story to go with your answer.

This whole concept of 'grade' cricket seems foreign to me. In Victoria we have no such thing, the district clubs are completely independent clubs that have 1st's down to 4th's. If you were to do very well in my league for example, as we are in the country you would either represent your league in Country Week/interleague competition or even make the move down to the city to try and make it at a district club.

Well over the whole of Queensland there are the different cricketing districts, roughly following council borders as they are most appropriate. In each individual one the have up to A Grade with independant clubs, then there is the competion that involves about 3 districts getting together and major towns within them all putting in their teams. With the Sunshine Coast one, due to the larger population there, there are only two districts competing in that one with the Gympie Town team sending a team into the district to join about 5 other ones from within it.

Then from there, there is one team made up from all of those town teams, called the Scorchers here. 11 players are picked from that and then a large amount of districts come together to form another competition. As it is only a 2 hour drive to Brisbane from here, 1 from the Sunshine Coast, they send the Scorchers down to the Brisbane competition where there are about 5-7 teams from all up about 20 different districts, mostly from Brisbane ones. From there the various State teams are picked from each of the about 6 major competitions like that being played over the whole state.

It would most likely be a little different to Victoria considering it is one heck of a long way from the top to bottom of Queensland, whereas down there you could travel it in one day. That's why it is pretty difficult for players up north to get games, Townsville being the only place they have to travel to to get any sort of luck in getting a spot. That is why anyone form up there comes out of Townsville, like Johnson for example.

I've been wanting to get the thread going again but I couldn't post twice in a row!

Estimate as to how long you think this will go?

Going from other ones, another 40 or so pages seems likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back